Help Baller on a Budget (Coilovers for under 1500)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 12:45 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
KW eithe V1 2 or 3
Old 01-16-2013, 12:51 PM
jorwick

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. No matter what your goal be very leary of the cheaper models because you get what you pay for. I can only speak for some of the more main stream brands that are being discussed, personally had bc's and was not happy with them, my buddy has megans and hates them, but there are always people on here that love them as well so do your own research because there are mechanical differences between them.

I have tein ssp and got my set up for less than $1500 but also installed edfc which I absolutely love that flexibility. That being said if you are good with setting them and not changing too much kw v3 is the way to go, well unless you save more money and get aragosta.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:35 PM
JM Auto Racing
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
WE have a bunch of different options available for under $1500. From BC to Tanabe and much much more. Contact me and we can go through some of the various options.

~Joe
Old 01-16-2013, 02:42 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Tanabes are an extremely comfortable setup. I would pass on BC and Megan. I've heard they are cheap and make noise. With $1500, you have many options. A used set of KW v3 can be had for <$1500.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:47 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
Tanabes are an extremely comfortable setup. I would pass on BC and Megan. I've heard they are cheap and make noise. With $1500, you have many options. A used set of KW v3 can be had for <$1500.
My BC is affordable, yes, and doesn't make noise.

After a few years, i have recently upgraded them to Swift springs as well.

And to BC's credit, their tech and after-sales support is stellar based on my own experience.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:30 PM
SgtGoldy

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I was thinking of going Fortune Auto 500 w/ SWIFT upgrade and roller ball upgrade. They're dyno tested and praises sung amongst other car communities
Old 01-18-2013, 10:59 AM
JM Auto Racing
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Dont miss Out On Our Specials !!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:22 PM
jhale512

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BeefMaster
KW v1 for 1.2 shipped
where did you get that price? im looking for some kwv1
Old 02-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Fentress24

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went with Tanabe. While they are good for the price I wish I would have waited for KW V3. Tanabe's aren't bad on the highway, but we have some pretty rough back roads around here and mine get a little sloppy and rough. I have heard good things about Stance as well. Stance and KW V3 would be at the top of my list.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:15 PM
BosMaSwaG37

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ill piggy back from this to say that I also owned Tanabe and although I like it a lot, the bounce started to get to me. I am always slammed and Tanabe just wasn't stiff enough. Having gone from Tanabe to Stance, I say get the Stance. It's an all around true coliover where as Tanabe and other aren't. Real easy rear install. 15 way damper adjustability. I almost went with KW3 but I couldn't spend the another 800 on top of what Stance costs. So far no regrets.

Originally Posted by Fentress24
I went with Tanabe. While they are good for the price I wish I would have waited for KW V3. Tanabe's aren't bad on the highway, but we have some pretty rough back roads around here and mine get a little sloppy and rough. I have heard good things about Stance as well. Stance and KW V3 would be at the top of my list.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentress24
Originally Posted by BosMaSwaG37
Ill piggy back from this to say that I also owned Tanabe and although I like it a lot, the bounce started to get to me. I am always slammed and Tanabe just wasn't stiff enough. Having gone from Tanabe to Stance, I say get the Stance. It's an all around true coliover where as Tanabe and other aren't. Real easy rear install. 15 way damper adjustability. I almost went with KW3 but I couldn't spend the another 800 on top of what Stance costs. So far no regrets.

I agree with the 2 posts above. On smoothe roads, you won't beat the ride quality for the price of Tanabe. However, on less than smoothe roads it bounces quite a bit.

I have no complaints about Tanabe coils AT ALL....but I think it's almost time for me to move on to stance or KW v3
Old 04-03-2013, 04:23 AM
jtweeze

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Resurrecting an old thread.. I'm debating between bc's and stance, but not sure which way to go.... Anyone that can chime in with advice between those 2 brands would be appreciated. I've searched the forum and read multiple threads but just can't make a decision.. V3s would be nice but just don't have the money...
Old 04-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Noobie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jtweeze
Resurrecting an old thread.. I'm debating between bc's and stance, but not sure which way to go.... Anyone that can chime in with advice between those 2 brands would be appreciated. I've searched the forum and read multiple threads but just can't make a decision.. V3s would be nice but just don't have the money...
I'm sort of in the same boat, I'm between Megans LP's and BC BR series..living in NY and using the g as a daily, i'd want something with Damper control..but looking for the best deal for my money
Old 04-07-2013, 11:46 AM
JMS2000

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm leaning towards the Tanabe Sustec S-0C coilovers. They don't have adjustable dampening, but the ride quality is supposedly comparable to stock. From what I've read here on the forums, they are a pretty good bang-for-the-buck mid-range coilover solution, especially for a daily driver car that will never see the track. I'm a little worried about the SPC camber kits though. I've found some interesting threads on here and I'm a little hesitant about installing them now. I don't want my camber to be way out of spec after lowering, but I don't want my wheels falling off either. So I dunno...
Old 04-07-2013, 02:34 PM
surfwagon

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I still think that my Powertrix coils are incredible. The same company that makes Stance also makes Powertix. You guys need to investigate these.

Originally Posted by JMS2000
I'm leaning towards the Tanabe Sustec S-0C coilovers. They don't have adjustable dampening, but the ride quality is supposedly comparable to stock. From what I've read here on the forums, they are a pretty good bang-for-the-buck mid-range coilover solution, especially for a daily driver car that will never see the track. I'm a little worried about the SPC camber kits though. I've found some interesting threads on here and I'm a little hesitant about installing them now. I don't want my camber to be way out of spec after lowering, but I don't want my wheels falling off either. So I dunno...
For me, I don't see the point in getting coilovers if there is not adjustable damping. That is one of the best features of coils. The Powertrix comes with extenders so you can adjust the rear from inside the cabin.
If you don't want or don't need to adjust damping why not just pick up some springs?

Quick Reply: Help Baller on a Budget (Coilovers for under 1500)