Help Stance Coil Damper Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 04:10 PM
BosMaSwaG37

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Stance Coil Damper Adjustment

I know damper settings are preference based but I'd really like to avoid having to make multiple adjustments especially since the rears are a bitch to adjust so I was hoping to get some recommendations. I haven't installed yet but I plan on lowering just enough to eliminate any gaps and I'm currently riding on stock wheels. I'm looking for a comfortable ride, stiffer than stock.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:46 AM
BosMaSwaG37

Plenty of you guys have Stance, I just need something to reference. Most guys are slammed on 20's and are running 15/15. I can't imagine I will need them that stiff on stock wheels....??
Old 12-27-2012, 09:36 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Set it in the middle and see how it works for you, then bump a few notches up or down.

It'll be hard to determine what will work for you because of varying spring rates, tires, heights, tire pressures and other supporting suspension modifications used by others.

Also, keep in mind, too soft a damper for your spring rate will result in a bouncy ride. Too hard and you'll be dealt with a stiff ride.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:47 AM
BosMaSwaG37

I'm well aware of things you mentioned. I'm only riding on stock for a couple more months before I install an aggressive wheel set-up which I know will require more adjustments. I am looking for the closest to a baseline type of ride for now. I really want to avoid installing the rears and then having to remove them just to adjust for a temporary setup. I was hoping for guys to just throw out some number settings that may achieve that. Thanks for you input.

Originally Posted by soundmike
Set it in the middle and see how it works for you, then bump a few notches up or down.

It'll be hard to determine what will work for you because of varying spring rates, tires, heights, tire pressures and other supporting suspension modifications used by others.

Also, keep in mind, too soft a damper for your spring rate will result in a bouncy ride. Too hard and you'll be dealt with a stiff ride.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:54 AM
soundmike

What's your spring rate and what kind of springs? (i.e. linear, v-barrel, progressive, with or without helpers, etc.)
Old 12-27-2012, 12:35 PM
BosMaSwaG37

I get them tomorrow so I don't have them to look at and the website doesn't provide much of those details but it does make mention of front and rear helper springs although I don't see them in the pics. I assume the spring rate should be the same for all G37 Stance coils...?

What's your spring rate and what kind of springs? (i.e. linear, v-barrel, progressive, with or without helpers, etc.)
Old 12-27-2012, 02:13 PM
soundmike

Hard to say since rates can be custom-ordered. My best guess is if you get 12k/8k and your particular dampers have 30-way *****, go about 12 from soft (or roughly 1/3 from soft).

IMHO, it's a good setting for this much spring, although i find the rates bit stiff and the dampers can only do so much to make daily driving livable.

So much so i've actually ordered lower-rate Swifts for mine (BC's.)
Old 12-27-2012, 04:36 PM
BosMaSwaG37

Great input, thanks I will look into the details when the coils arrive

Hard to say since rates can be custom-ordered. My best guess is if you get 12k/8k and your particular dampers have 30-way *****, go about 12 from soft (or roughly 1/3 from soft).

IMHO, it's a good setting for this much spring, although i find the rates bit stiff and the dampers can only do so much to make daily driving livable.

So much so i've actually ordered lower-rate Swifts for mine (BC's.)