Squeaking Brakes Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 10:48 PM
mng37conv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeaking Brakes Normal?

Had my 12 in for the first time today at 5K miles. One of the issues is squeaking brakes. We have had a dry last couple of months and the brakes continue to squeak (I'm used to moisture causing squeaking at times). The SA told my wife that the high quality brakes used in the Vert normally squeak.

I've never seen this in my previous cars (BMWs, Acuras, VWs, etc). Is this really a normal thing for Infinitis?

Also of note, she asked to have the rattles looked at in the trunk, SA said they are normal in the Vert, but also said they have SBs for some of them.

At least my oil change was done
Old 11-12-2012, 11:02 PM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have had squealing brakes since about 3k miles. I'm at 32k miles on my 09 and they still squeakin. I tried to have them fix them, but that's apparently normal for the NON-sport brakes as well...
Old 11-13-2012, 11:43 PM
venkatsharat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes they are normal.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Mike888

Originally Posted by mng37conv
Had my 12 in for the first time today at 5K miles. One of the issues is squeaking brakes. We have had a dry last couple of months and the brakes continue to squeak (I'm used to moisture causing squeaking at times). The SA told my wife that the high quality brakes used in the Vert normally squeak.

I've never seen this in my previous cars (BMWs, Acuras, VWs, etc). Is this really a normal thing for Infinitis?

Also of note, she asked to have the rattles looked at in the trunk, SA said they are normal in the Vert, but also said they have SBs for some of them.

At least my oil change was done

Does your brakes squeal only in the morning or is it constant even when you're driving? I had squealing brakes back when my car only had 5k miles and my dealer replaced both my rear rotors and brake pads under warranty. Mines still squeals in the morning when my rotors are cold but after braking one or two times the nosie stops. According to my dealer, if it squeals when the rotors are cold then its normal; if it squeals when the rotors are hot (which was the problem I had) then there's a problem.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:41 PM
harbin9er
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
u just need to grease up the back and sides of your brake pads with some high temp grease. Follow parts of this DIY

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...n-08-g37s.html
Old 11-14-2012, 10:44 PM
mng37conv

Originally Posted by Mike888
Does your brakes squeal only in the morning or is it constant even when you're driving? I had squealing brakes back when my car only had 5k miles and my dealer replaced both my rear rotors and brake pads under warranty. Mines still squeals in the morning when my rotors are cold but after braking one or two times the nosie stops. According to my dealer, if it squeals when the rotors are cold then its normal; if it squeals when the rotors are hot (which was the problem I had) then there's a problem.
They do it both hot and cold. Squeak after my 15 mile commute every day.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Mike888

Originally Posted by mng37conv
They do it both hot and cold. Squeak after my 15 mile commute every day.
If it's a loud squeal and it happens constantly, I'd bring it back to the dealer--it took me a couple of visits to my dealer to have them replaced my brakes and rotors because the noise would "magically" stop when I get there. It wasn't until the summer when the weather became hot and dry that the squeal became really noticeable and my dealer finally replaced the rotors and brake pads.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:18 PM
crazysim

I brought mine to the dealer for squeakin brakes and a rattling in the roof, both were fixed.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:33 AM
KNS Brakes
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Squeaking brakes are never normal, the only time it becomes "normal" is if the car is equipped with a high friction coefficient racing pads.

If your car is squeaking from daily driving, apply some grease to the shims and along the ears of the pads.

-Nick
Old 12-04-2012, 11:52 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ great point, thanks Nick. i, too, have the akebono sport brakes with squealing. i get it first thing in the morning (first 1-2 braking), and then it goes away until i've driven for a while when it returns.

the sound is definitely from my rear brakes. i just replaced the rear rotors & pads (Akebono ProACT) recently, and used the grease (very small tube) that came with the pads on the shims and "ears". still the squealing. so i went and bought a bigger tube of brake lube - i'll pull the pads and re-grease with more lube this weekend. hopefully that works.

this is very irritating, but at least i got rid of my "warped" rear rotors/pads.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:28 PM
bluedevils95

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
I hate to say it, but yes they do. And i hate it
Old 12-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Ken
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The front pads tend to wear quicker than the rear. I had the squeaking as well. I replaced my fronts with Akebono ProAct Ceramic pads and the noise went away for over 20,000 miles so far. Also remember to clean the rotors and caliper pistons with brake cleaner spray when you work on them, sometimes dust or dirt can cause the squeaking as well.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:31 PM
_tjp_

I have had no squeeling issues at all. I have a 2012 and it currently has 6500 miles on it (stock brake pads).
Old 12-06-2012, 11:06 PM
KNS Brakes
Former Sponsor

I'll help Nick out a bit here w/ the squealing.

GENERALLY speaking modern brakes do not squeal. But the advent of "OEM performance brakes" got Brembo in the fold and they definitely produced some OEM systems that are very squeal prone including the earlier Z/G models as well as all the cars that use the D1001 shape front pad. (STi, EVO, CTS-V, Shelby/Boss Mustangs, SS Camaro's).

I would not hesitate to suggest that the Akebono big brakes that Nissan got were a direct response to noise from the older gold Brembo's. Brake squeal and expensive Infiniti's......not so much.

It does appear however that the 'sport' type large 4 piston calipers are a bit more noise prone than the typical floating caliper setup. Of course these systems generally have more aggressive pads as well.

So your sport brake are likely more prone to noise - especially when cold a ndat certain light braking pressures.

One thing that can help is bedding or rebedding them. Light use can thin out the transfer layer making them noisier. Do a few controlled stops from highway speeds and see if that helps.

-Ken
Old 12-06-2012, 11:10 PM
KNS Brakes
Former Sponsor

Now if you are getting constant squealing from non-sport brakes - I would consider a pad change. Floating brakes are rarely noisy.

Quick Reply: Squeaking Brakes Normal?