Squeaking Brakes Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ great info. If I am getting constant squeal would it help to remove and slather a good dose of brake lube on the backing and pad ears? Or should I try to re-bed the pads? This is only on the rear, fronts don't squeal.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 PM
KNS Brakes
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Grease is for moving parts so it only goes where there is motion. On the brakes - that is where the ears of the pad ride in the pad clips and if there is pad retraction springs. (Or on the ends of the pads on the sport brakes where the pads ride in the calipers.)

On the back of the pad it just gets pushed away once the piston hits - grease has no damping properties that I can think would really help. (did your pads have grease on the back plate from Nissan?)

Seems like more than a few calls from users w/ REAR noise. That's a trend worth noting.

I would rebed - just don't overdue it on street pads or you'll glaze them.

Added plus - you'll get a feel for your braking power. Worth knowing.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:51 PM
G37NC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2010 G37S (bought new with 7 miles on it) and my squealing started at around 20,000 miles. I currently have 34,000 on it. I had the dealership take a look at the brakes back in May 2012, and was basically told "this is normal".

I am taking it in tomorrow to have them take another look at the brakes. The squeal is getting worse and it is embarrassing. There is a TSB #IT11050 for front brake noise which states to replace both front brake caliper sliding pins and I am hoping this is done under warranty.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:49 PM
mng37conv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G37NC
I have a 2010 G37S (bought new with 7 miles on it) and my squealing started at around 20,000 miles. I currently have 34,000 on it. I had the dealership take a look at the brakes back in May 2012, and was basically told "this is normal".

I am taking it in tomorrow to have them take another look at the brakes. The squeal is getting worse and it is embarrassing. There is a TSB #IT11050 for front brake noise which states to replace both front brake caliper sliding pins and I am hoping this is done under warranty.
Where can I get a copy of the TSB?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 PM
G37NC

Here is the website I got mine from. Just enter the information pertaining to your car. I used the word "brakes" in the keyword section.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:34 PM
G37NC

Here is an update on my squealing brakes after my visit to the Infiniti dealership this morning.

The mechanic said the rotors were glazed and all the pads were cracked. They replaced all the brake pads and rotors.

The best part is that nothing was charged to me since the car is under warranty (and apparently a known issue with these cars). I am 100% happy at the moment.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:13 AM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Well this thread is disappointing. My '11 EX35 has 24k miles and squeaky brakes pretty much all the time, under moderate pressure. I have taken it to the dealership and was told this is normal and the brakes are fine. I thought that my '12 G37 coupe wouldn't suffer this problem since it has the sport brakes, but now it looks like they are more likely to start squeaking later on, the EX only started squeaking within the last 6 months. I wouldn't have thought this would bother me as much as it does, but the last time I pressure washed the EX and I blasted the calipers out thoroughly it stopped squeaking for a day or so, and it was just so much nicer to drive during that time... I may not keep the EX when the lease is up if this doesn't stop.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:47 PM
hexvenum

I had an 08 g37s and my break squealed alot... i fixed it by replacing my brake pads... i would suggest get ceramic ones... i bought mine online at autoanything.com "Hawk Performance Brake Pads"... ended up paying 227 for the breaks and 220 for installation (Pep boys). Yours will probably be cheaper since you have the base model. You can put them on yourself also its really easy... ive just been very busy... i know pep boys has a buy one get one free brake pad deal going on atm. if you get their ceramic brakes... i dont know what company they have... they have a warranty and all... if you have the cash i would give it a try. ALSO! make sure you dont put any of that tire shine crap on your tires... cause that will also cause maybe squeaking. I had my car detailed and i specifically told them not to use any tire shine stuff. they did ofcourse. its a pain to get out and clean... they squealed for a good 5 months afterwards... try changing your brake pads... if you get a pep boy card for free you get a free break inspection... see if they need changing... (squeak free here finally and it feels good) only reason i mentioned pep boys is cause its the only place i know atm that will put on parts that customers bring in. pads, tires, etc
Old 02-06-2013, 01:08 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
You really trust the kids working at pepboys to install your brakes???
Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 PM
colnajoe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The TSB was applied for my brakes. Rotors and pads were fine. Just lightly sanded to pins and greased them and back of the pads. Squeak gone!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Cobra-2-G

My original brakes squealed a lot in reverse and slightly at a stop. Bought new pads at the dealership ($100) and had a Pepboys shop install and turn rotors. 3k miles on them so far and running strong with no squeaks. Paid like $80 bucks or something out the door vs. $200+ at the dealership for just labor.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:38 AM
mng37conv

Sadly mine is a 2012 with only 5K on it. The TSB is pre my 2012 and the dealer continues to insist it is normal. That is pathetic for a 50K plus car. Between that and the roof there is a solid chance I will unload my vert before the lease ends. Just too embarrassing driving the thing around.

Since I drive it more during the summer, I'm already looking at soft tops instead.

Just when I thought BMW had issues. This car is much worse than any BMW I have owned.

Drives great and works with a loud radio.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:05 AM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
My 2012 IPL akenbono brakes have squeaked since day one. Very common and not really an issue for me. Just about every high performance BBK is noisey. The GTR's massive Brembo's squeal like crazy!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:06 AM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by mng37conv
Sadly mine is a 2012 with only 5K on it. The TSB is pre my 2012 and the dealer continues to insist it is normal. That is pathetic for a 50K plus car. Between that and the roof there is a solid chance I will unload my vert before the lease ends. Just too embarrassing driving the thing around.

Since I drive it more during the summer, I'm already looking at soft tops instead.

Just when I thought BMW had issues. This car is much worse than any BMW I have owned.

Drives great and works with a loud radio.
Clearly you haven't owned a BMW over 50k miles
Old 04-16-2013, 04:27 PM
RMA

Just to update this thread I have very noisy squeeky brakes coming from the front calipers myself (plenty of pad left on fronts) but 5k miles left on the rear. I had the dealer look up that bulletin number & it is for a car w "floating" calipers not a Sport version. So I will most likely just replace the pads w some sort of a ceramic set and have the tech apply hi temp grease to the pads also.

Quick Reply: Squeaking Brakes Normal?