RWD OEM front brake pads on an X?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 08:03 PM
AllentownG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RWD OEM front brake pads on an X?

Hey X folks,

I've got a few noob questions -- Have any of you seen this before? I was half-way through installing all new pads on my '10 x coupe and quite surprised when I went to tackle the fronts and found this:

The left are my OEM pads, which look quite a bit different than the new Akebono ProACT pads I ordered for an AWD (Part # ACT888). I'm told the pads I've got are the RWD front OEM pads. First question, does that look like RWD OEM front pads to those more experienced with such matters? Second, are there other X coupe owners out there with RWD front pads / calipers, or did I get lucky? Third, if this is true, anyone happen to know when / why infiniti decided to switch to a brand-new style of pads / calipers? Fourth, when considering new pads / rotors in the future, should I look for the RWD versions, or the AWD? Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 11-23-2012, 03:56 PM
KNS Brakes
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like the pads you got are the wrong shape, the ones that are on the left are D shape 1287 and the ones on the right are D shape 888.

The 1287 shape is made for the RWD Base and Journey, where the 888 is for a X.

As far as I know the calipers were never changed inbetween the X and the RWDs.

From the look of what your OEM pads that came off the car (Left) I would say you need the RWD front pads.

-Nick

-Nick
Old 11-28-2012, 11:53 PM
AllentownG37

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the reply. Yep, I did end up needing RWD front pads. I was just really surprised that I didn't have X calipers on the front, considering my car is a 2010 X Coupe. Being that you deal with brakes, is something like this common? Thanks for your help.

-Gene
Old 11-29-2012, 11:53 AM
KNS Brakes
Former Sponsor

Well to to honest I'm not yet that familiar with the calipers of the G series. Are the only owner of the car? It is possible that someone decided to swap calipers to have access to the larger pads larger rotors. Another question that comes into question, you supposed to use the rotors from an X or from a Base/Journey?

-Nick
Old 11-29-2012, 12:36 PM
09ChiG37

Good info!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 PM
AllentownG37

Originally Posted by KNS Brakes
Well to to honest I'm not yet that familiar with the calipers of the G series. Are the only owner of the car? It is possible that someone decided to swap calipers to have access to the larger pads larger rotors. Another question that comes into question, you supposed to use the rotors from an X or from a Base/Journey?

-Nick
Hey Nick,

To answer your questions, I'm the 2nd owner of this car, so it is very possible that the previous owner (or dealerships he took the car to) might have swapped calipers. As far as I know, the rotors are the same size that comes with the base/journey model. I guess I'll find out for sure when it's time to replace the rotors. Anyway, thanks again for your help and maybe this will help somebody else out there.

-Gene
Old 12-03-2012, 06:06 PM
KNS Brakes
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AllentownG37
Hey Nick,

To answer your questions, I'm the 2nd owner of this car, so it is very possible that the previous owner (or dealerships he took the car to) might have swapped calipers. As far as I know, the rotors are the same size that comes with the base/journey model. I guess I'll find out for sure when it's time to replace the rotors. Anyway, thanks again for your help and maybe this will help somebody else out there.

-Gene
Part numbers are different between the X and the RWD versions of the G37.

-Nick
Old 01-31-2013, 06:12 PM
KNS Brakes
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AllentownG37
Hey X folks,

I've got a few noob questions -- Have any of you seen this before? I was half-way through installing all new pads on my '10 x coupe and quite surprised when I went to tackle the fronts and found this:

The left are my OEM pads, which look quite a bit different than the new Akebono ProACT pads I ordered for an AWD (Part # ACT888). I'm told the pads I've got are the RWD front OEM pads. First question, does that look like RWD OEM front pads to those more experienced with such matters? Second, are there other X coupe owners out there with RWD front pads / calipers, or did I get lucky? Third, if this is true, anyone happen to know when / why infiniti decided to switch to a brand-new style of pads / calipers? Fourth, when considering new pads / rotors in the future, should I look for the RWD versions, or the AWD? Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!
Allentown I FIGURED IT OUT!

After doing some research and selling the wrong part number I learned that the base/journey has two different brake systems.

The RWD sedan base/journey has the smaller brake system.
The RWD coupe base/journey has the larger brake system.

Therefore the RWD sedan base/journey has the same brake system as the AWD version.

Also the RWD coupe base/journey has the same brake system as the convertibles.

Whew..

-Nick