PADS and ROTOR recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 06:03 PM
randy0211

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PADS and ROTOR recommendations?

Looking for nice set up with less brakedust.

Is there any good slotted/drilled rotors out there?
Old 09-01-2012, 02:29 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Centric Rotors and Brake Pads are popular with good prices. You'd want ceramic brake pads if you want less brake dust. You'll sacrifice initial bite most the time with ceramic pads that dust less.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:38 AM
unknowndesi
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Give these a shot, I heard these work great

Stoptech make some pretty affordable slotted rotors for our cars

If you want OEM stopping power stick to Akebono pads(same ones that Infiniti carries with out the Nissan branding)

If you want more stopping power than stock, stick to Hawk HPS or some Project Mu's

For the better clamping force I've heard great things about Hawk DTC's

more stopping power = more brake dust

Last edited by unknowndesi; 09-01-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:52 PM
blackvr4tt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cross Drilled or Slotted Rotors - what do ppl prefer?

I hear cross drilled vents heat a little better but is harder on the brake pads. I think I'm leaning towards slotted if that's the case.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Slotted rotors have less of a problem with heat cracking if you ever track the car. They also don't reduce the overall rotor contact surface with the pads for a better bite and scouring of the pad surface. They are not necessarily tougher on brake pads. People keep thinking that they act like knife blades scrapping a thin layer off the pad surface at each pass. What's really causing most of the pad wear is the amount of heat generated during the braking process. The greater the heat generated by hard braking, the more the pad wears down. Remember that pad deposition on the rotor face during bedding in is very important for good stopping power. This transfer of the pad material from the surface of the pad to the embedded pad material in the rotor is one of the reasons for the wear going on. It's sort of like a track which when clean (known as a green track) isn't very grippy against the tires. Once they start laying down some rubber, the track gets more grippy and now the tires start wearing out very quickly because of this exchange with the excess going off to the outside of the turn. Similar things happen with the pad/bedded in rotor face during hard braking. At least that's what I've been taught.

Al
Old 09-04-2012, 01:27 PM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by unknowndesi

Guaranteed no dust, and second to none performance in tough rain! Breaking power MIGHT suffer slightly though...
Old 09-04-2012, 01:46 PM
DGGal
Minnesota G owners

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
^^LOL, too funny!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
My vote is for the racing brake 2 peice rear and front rotors and pads. They did awesome at the Tail of the Dragon
Old 09-07-2012, 11:52 AM
randy0211

Originally Posted by jon23

Guaranteed no dust, and second to none performance in tough rain! Breaking power might suffer slightly though...:d
hahahahahaha
Old 09-07-2012, 11:53 AM
randy0211

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
Centric Rotors and Brake Pads are popular with good prices. You'd want ceramic brake pads if you want less brake dust. You'll sacrifice initial bite most the time with ceramic pads that dust less.
Where can I pick up Centrics, I heard they are the same maker as Stoptech
Old 09-07-2012, 11:59 AM
randy0211

Originally Posted by unknowndesi

Stoptech make some pretty affordable slotted rotors for our cars

If you want OEM stopping power stick to Akebono pads(same ones that Infiniti carries with out the Nissan branding)

If you want more stopping power than stock, stick to Hawk HPS or some Project Mu's

For the better clamping force I've heard great things about Hawk DTC's

more stopping power = more brake dust
LMFAO....

What are some of the price rage for the rotors?
I want something with a crazy bite (stop n go in nyc with a 6spd is crazy fun)so I might go with hawks DTC ...recommend any vendors?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:29 PM
randy0211

Originally Posted by Track Bandit
Slotted rotors have less of a problem with heat cracking if you ever track the car. They also don't reduce the overall rotor contact surface with the pads for a better bite and scouring of the pad surface. They are not necessarily tougher on brake pads. People keep thinking that they act like knife blades scrapping a thin layer off the pad surface at each pass. What's really causing most of the pad wear is the amount of heat generated during the braking process. The greater the heat generated by hard braking, the more the pad wears down. Remember that pad deposition on the rotor face during bedding in is very important for good stopping power. This transfer of the pad material from the surface of the pad to the embedded pad material in the rotor is one of the reasons for the wear going on. It's sort of like a track which when clean (known as a green track) isn't very grippy against the tires. Once they start laying down some rubber, the track gets more grippy and now the tires start wearing out very quickly because of this exchange with the excess going off to the outside of the turn. Similar things happen with the pad/bedded in rotor face during hard braking. At least that's what I've been taught.

Al
Makes sense
Old 09-07-2012, 03:17 PM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Just get OEM rotors and very good pads for the best street performance.

You don't need pricey two piece rotors unless:
a) you want the bling, or
b) you race and will actually notice the reduced inertia and need the additional cooling capacity.

As for "good pads" look into Carbotech bobcats, racingbrake ET500's, or the others that have been mentioned already. I'm currently running ET500's but will be switching to Carbotech so that I can swap in race pads without having to scour my rotors each time.