Help How many times can OEM rotors be turned?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:09 AM
OwenC
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many times can OEM rotors be turned?

I've had my OEM Akebono sports rotors turned 2 times by the factory in an effort to stop the brakes from squealing. Well the rear brakes are squealing again and it's almost time to replace the pads.

Is there a general rule for how many times rotors can be turned before one should purchase new ones? I understand that it depends on how much was actually removed each time, but I don't want to remove the rotors and take them to get turned only to find out that it's too thin and I'd be stuck without new rotors to install. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:20 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
There is no certain number of times, there is a minimum disc thickness. I don't know what that is offhand but it's in the FSM which I don't have easy access to at work.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:44 PM
OwenC
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
There is no certain number of times, there is a minimum disc thickness. I don't know what that is offhand but it's in the FSM which I don't have easy access to at work.
Thanks Black Betty
Old 09-27-2012, 01:48 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Turning the rotors will not cure brake noise, unless there is an excessive lip or glazing, then it might help, but in that case you shouldn't really even be turning them to begin with. I would find a more competent shop to diagnose and fix your brake noise.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:16 PM
adamsrotors
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
they really shouldn't be...
it's a wear item and like anything else we've figured out a way to prolong their life.
ultimately, as mentioned above, you are just thinning out the rotor face and inevitably weakening the rotor's integrity.

let us know when swapping brake time is here and we'll get you squared away with some great customizable brake rotors to your liking w/pads and/or line packages also available!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:04 PM
KNS Brakes
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by OwenC
I've had my OEM Akebono sports rotors turned 2 times by the factory in an effort to stop the brakes from squealing. Well the rear brakes are squealing again and it's almost time to replace the pads.

Is there a general rule for how many times rotors can be turned before one should purchase new ones? I understand that it depends on how much was actually removed each time, but I don't want to remove the rotors and take them to get turned only to find out that it's too thin and I'd be stuck without new rotors to install. Thanks!
There is not general number of times it can be turned. As long as the rotor does not exceed the minimum thickness you can do it. On the other hand the closer you get tot he minimum thickness the weaker the rotor becomes.

One: turning a rotor has no effect on the noise that comes out of the caliper. The noise you are hearing is a vibration of the pad when the pad comes into contact with the rotor. If you have a high torque pad and you gently apply the brakes the pad will make more noise, if you apply the brakes hard there generally won't be any noise.

Two: If you need pads and rotors we have lots in stock to help your needs, we have pads ranging from street to full blown race pads. We have your average everyday white box rotor to your full blown treated 2-piece rotors.

When it comes time to replace those items, give us a call and you will get much more than just a price quote.

-Nick
Old 12-06-2012, 11:59 PM
KNS Brakes
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by OwenC

Minimum thickness is printed on the edge of the rotor or cast into it. (By Law)

Usually it's 1 mm per side so if it starts at say 24mm it can go down to 22mm.

PS

Your adviser owes you a set of rotors. Turning rotors to reduce noise is exactly the opposite of what I would suggest. Fresh iron squeals more than a rotor w/ a proper transfer layer.

Rebed the pads.

-Ken
Old 12-07-2012, 12:14 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Can we keep the sales pitches to the vendor forums??

This is a forum, not a fight for his business.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound

I disagree with this. Both forum vendors answered his tech questions and gave their advice on the issue as well as directing him to their business when he needs parts. Neither gave him bad advice to try to sell him something he didn't need. I wish more vendors with technical expertise willing to respond to threads. We do have some already that do it regularly.

Selling products is why they are here. If they're not going about it in a shady or dishonest way (we've had our share of those in the past) I'm fine with a little promotion of their services or products.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:17 PM
adamsrotors
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TVPostSound

please remember we're the ones that support this forum and keep it alive...
it's called service & we're here chiming in on a thread, posted requesting help/answers, like any other member.