Swift Springs RWD Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 11:55 AM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Choman
Bota - I heard that Swift springs don't need to settle, is that true from your experience?

Also, did you ever get an alignment kit?
This is true due to the type of spring they are. They are Linear vs. a progressive type spring. Linear as the name implies means they are not forgiving like a progressive spring.

From Swifts website:
  1. The most consistent spring rate throughout the stroke
  2. The largest amount of stroke
  3. The highest durability against loss of spring height
  4. The lightest in weight
I have had progressive springs on other cars(Eibach) and I can gladly say they are not for me in terms of handling. I do not enjoy the bounciness and the lack of surety in the corners before tightening up.

I surely will be going with Swifts when I do my conservative drop.
The following users liked this post:
Choman (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 12:22 PM
Bota36
Registered Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
Bota - I heard that Swift springs don't need to settle, is that true from your experience?

Also, did you ever get an alignment kit?
Yes, that is true. Swift springs are linear versus progressive and don't need to settle. Remember though, there are rubber bushings that will compress so I'd wait at least a week before an alignment but you really don't need the waiting period.

The alignment went great. No camber kit needed because it was within spec.

Originally Posted by Rochester
I thought all springs settle.... because they're springs.

Choman, why are you looking at springs and not coil-overs? Bota, what was your reasoning on that?
Lowering my G was pretty much my first mod. So when I started looking into lowering, springs were the financial option for me. I called Swift, they didn't have RWD sedan springs and they asked if would help them create the springs. I helped them and after using these spring I believe in them 100%. It was the mild drop I was looking for plus I didn't want to compromise my ride quality.

Oh, and this here is a great photo. It's got depth and perspective, and really shows off those STANCE SC-6IX rims in a perfect way.

Nicely done, Bota.
Thanks Brother.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:29 PM
Bota36
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rm2342
This is true due to the type of spring they are. They are Linear vs. a progressive type spring. Linear as the name implies means they are not forgiving like a progressive spring.

From Swifts website:
  1. The most consistent spring rate throughout the stroke
  2. The largest amount of stroke
  3. The highest durability against loss of spring height
  4. The lightest in weight
I have had progressive springs on other cars(Eibach) and I can gladly say they are not for me in terms of handling. I do not enjoy the bounciness and the lack of surety in the corners before tightening up.

I surely will be going with Swifts when I do my conservative drop.
Great input rm. the most consistent spring rate throughout the stroke and the largest stroke are so important. In other words, the Swifts don't bottom out (max compression) like progressive springs. It's such a smooth ride with great handling. Just look up pictures of them and you will see a design difference.
Choman (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 12:46 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Bota36
Great input rm. the most consistent spring rate throughout the stroke and the largest stroke are so important. In other words, the Swifts don't bottom out (max compression) like progressive springs. It's such a smooth ride with great handling. Just look up pictures of them and you will see a design difference.
No worries man..

we should probably highlight the fact that the RWD and AWD drops are slightly different for those AWD lurkers like myself who are interested.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:41 PM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I thought all springs settle.... because they're springs.

Choman, why are you looking at springs and not coil-overs? Bota, what was your reasoning on that?
Rochester - From what I have read around and a bit of generalization, people who argue springs vs. coilovers is dependent upon whether you track your car or not. Granted I haven't experienced coilovers before...but I also hear those who had springs eventually switch over to coilovers. I would like to hear more from the community on this particular topic of why the switch from springs to coilovers.

Yes, that is true. Swift springs are linear versus progressive and don't need to settle. Remember though, there are rubber bushings that will compress so I'd wait at least a week before an alignment but you really don't need the waiting period.

The alignment went great. No camber kit needed because it was within spec.

Lowering my G was pretty much my first mod. So when I started looking into lowering, springs were the financial option for me. I called Swift, they didn't have RWD sedan springs and they asked if would help them create the springs. I helped them and after using these spring I believe in them 100%. It was the mild drop I was looking for plus I didn't want to compromise my ride quality.

Thanks Brother.
Bota - your current setup looks great! I am drooling over here! Thanks for the input as well.

How are your struts holding up since the installation? That is the only downside to me, replacing the OEM struts when the time comes. There deosn't appear to be exclusive aftermarket struts designed for the sedan RWD.
Bota36 (02-27-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 02:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Rochester - From what I have read around and a bit of generalization, people who argue springs vs. coilovers is dependent upon whether you track your car or not.
Oh, I wouldn't say that. IMO, that whole "I don't track my car" mantra is a second-hand opinion of convenient rationalization. (No offense, Kevin.) Any time you modify your car for improved power or handling, you will appreciate those changes, regardless of how fast you're driving, or where you're driving... track or street.

Granted I haven't experienced coilovers before...but I also hear those who had springs eventually switch over to coilovers. I would like to hear more from the community on this particular topic of why the switch from springs to coilovers.
Same here. You know, a few weeks ago I wrote something on this topic... hang on. Here it is:

On my last car (2003 Maxima SE 6MT), I had installed a rear sway bar bar where there wasn't one before... replaced the struts with Tokico Blues, added a front strut tower brace, and a rear-strut tower brace, installed Energy Suspension bushings everywhere, including the engine mounts, and at year seven of ownership had replaced/upgraded front wheel bearings, ball-joints, tie-rod end links, and sway bar end-links. The car was tight as a drum, and on top of all that I was running with these amazing Goodyear Eagle F1 performance tires.

Then I got in a buddy's 2001 Maxima AE, who was riding on all-season tires, with heavy 19" rims. He had all original suspension parts, with over 100K miles and a decade of Canadian winters, without any suspension upgrades what-so-ever... except for a used set of Tein SS Coilovers. And the bastard could run circles around my car.

The lesson learned here: coilovers FTW.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-26-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Choman (02-26-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 03:57 AM
Bota36
Registered Member

Bota - your current setup looks great! I am drooling over here! Thanks for the input as well.

How are your struts holding up since the installation? That is the only downside to me, replacing the OEM struts when the time comes. There deosn't appear to be exclusive aftermarket struts designed for the sedan RWD.
Thanks Choman. So far so good. Haven't had any issues and it's been a year and a half. I'm takin it day by day and enjoying the ride.

I know members have talked about the Swift Koni combo but I'm not sure if it applies to the sedan. I'll have to look into it.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:49 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Thanks Choman. So far so good. Haven't had any issues and it's been a year and a half. I'm takin it day by day and enjoying the ride.

I know members have talked about the Swift Koni combo but I'm not sure if it applies to the sedan. I'll have to look into it.
There is the Swift/KYB combo that Soundmike had~
Brief review of Swift Mach springs - G35Driver
Old 02-27-2014, 05:24 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 178 Likes on 117 Posts
This thread has convinced me to get some Swift springs so thank you Bota!

I'm on Koni Yellows for struts but on the stock springs. The stock struts were getting sloppy. The odd thing about going to the Koni's is that the front sits about an inch higher than it did pre-Koni's. I'm not sure why but I'm definitely going to pull the trigger on the Swifts to correct that.

Glad to also hear that no camber kit was needed!
Old 02-27-2014, 10:34 PM
Bota36
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
There is the Swift/KYB combo that Soundmike had~
Brief review of Swift Mach springs - G35Driver
Great link Brad.

Originally Posted by twin_snails

I'm on Koni Yellows for struts but on the stock springs. The stock struts were getting sloppy. The odd thing about going to the Koni's is that the front sits about an inch higher than it did pre-Koni's. I'm not sure why but I'm definitely going to pull the trigger on the Swifts to correct that.

Hey snails, an inch sounds like a lot. Are you sure you got the correct ones? And I'm not sure if the springs would correct that. I could be wrong. Maybe some one could chime in.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:23 AM
Choman
Registered Member

Thanks for the link Brad.

Looks like they have sedan verisons for the KYB GR2s. Are these the only guys who make direct replacmeents for sedan struts/shocks? I know people have tried the Koni Yellow's but those were designed specifically for the coupe.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Bota36
Registered Member

Thanks for the link Brad.

Looks like they have sedan verisons for the KYB GR2s. Are these the only guys who make direct replacmeents for sedan struts/shocks? I know people have tried the Koni Yellow's but those were designed specifically for the coupe.
That's what I thought regarding the Koni's. Thanks Choman for the confirmation. I would also like to know what others make them for the sedan. I guess more research is what I'll need to do. In the mean time, stock is doing fine.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:38 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails

Coupe konis?

Interested to see pics and get your feedback on swifts + koni shocks.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:22 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
There's also the Koni H&R combo, and from the notated drop it should be a good alternative to coils, but AFAIK it's only available in Europe
Infiniti G Series G37 Coupe Koni Sport Suspension Kit 1140-9589 Only £760.32
Koni Infiniti G-series G37 Coupe 08-12 Sport Suspension Kit - Motamec.com
Koni Sport Suspension Kit (with H&R Springs) for Infiniti - larkspeed.com
Old 03-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Choman
Registered Member

Bota,

From the research that I've done, there aren't many others or any at all who make a direct OEM replacement for shocks/struts on the sedans.

That is making me move more towards coilovers, especially based on what Rochester posted earlier.

Quick Reply: Swift Springs RWD Sedan