Slave Clyinder bad expierence... 2nd one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 01:22 AM
Lugg88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slave Clyinder bad expierence... 2nd one?

Bought my car used loved it drove it for about 8 months the clutch goes bad. Ordered the ACT stage 1 heavy duty with flywheel installed ran fine (minus the chattering noise) for about a year or so no problems what so ever, until about 3 weeks ago.

Sat in my car about 3 weeks pressed the clutch pedal to turn on the car my pedal just went down to the floor with what seemed a hair of pressure on it, released the clutch it came back up. Dint turn the car at this point popped the hood my reservoir was empty, dry empty. Filled it up turn the car on at this point clutch was still behaving very light, while the car was one i went and checked and saw the fluid slowly going down, about 5 mins from the high mark down to the low mark. Called a local shop, paid the tow truck got her down there and they told me my slave cylinder went bad.

They even showed me where the fluid was leaking from. (where the transmissions bolts on to the engine housing right after the flywheel and the clutch.) So ordered an oem slave clyinder from orderininfitipartonline.com payed the labor fees and car was all set.

Everything was going fine for about 2 -3 weeks car drove better and smoother then ever before (at least it seemed like that to me) until today.

Same exact thing happened (light clutch fluid leaking blah blah...)

Called the guy that worked on my car he told me that the it was a defective slave cylinder.

Now here are my questions: If it was defective woudent been bad the day off right after the install?

I payed him 400 in labor under the table because i order the part now he is saying he cant cover any of my labor cost due to the fact that he dint get the part which he quoted me of 135 dollars but i got it for 87?

Could be the slave cylinder was bad? i called the place where i ordered it from and he told me that it was unlikely that it was a defective part...

Am i missing something here could be anything else...

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for looking
Old 08-18-2012, 02:55 AM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
the shop has bad ethics... try somewhere else

happen to my previous dc5-type r , replacement could solve it
Old 08-18-2012, 05:30 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Lowered the price and gave you a refurbished cylinder?

Only thing I could think of. Alot of shops will do that. Like above, try somewhere else. If its a good shop, they will let you get the part yourself.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:14 AM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
The proem is you're running an aftermarket clutch using the stock slave cylinder. I would upgrade to the zspeed heavy duty slave to prevent continuous slave failures.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:09 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011G37JOHNBEST
the shop has bad ethics... try somewhere else
While I sympathize with the OP's issue, why does the shop have bad ethics?

The OP brought in his own part for installation. There is a possibility of incorrect installation, but there's also a probability the part was bad/defective. Given the part was provided by a third party, why should the shop give any warranty on a part they DID NOT supply? Unlike with a part that came from their own supplier, they can't make any warranty labor claims. The car drove fine for 3 weeks. If the CSC was misaligned somehow, there would likely be a strange feel/noise present. Or as stated above, became defective when used with a heavier duty clutch pressure plate.

The OP saved $47, but now has to pay that $400 all over again. Typical warranty for a part like this with most shops is 12/12 (months/thousand miles).

From all the threads i've read on the issue, it seems replacing the slave is usually done in tandem with the master to avoid future troubles.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Lugg88

Thank you for your input guys did some reaserch on my own a bit threw out the forums and found that a lot of people had along with the slave cylinder going bad had the master cylinder go bad as well.

As for as the for the slave cylinder would this one be good...Clutch Throw-Out Bearing / Concentric Slave Cylinder (CSC)

And i was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a master cylinder..?

And i have an 07g35s i assume they share the master cylinder because its the hr motor.

Thank you

Last edited by Lugg88; 08-18-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Your link points to a stock slave cylinder. I wouldn't be surprised if it fails again if you get that one. This is what I'm talking about: Nissan 350z 370z G37 G35 heavy duty CSC Concentic clutch slave cylinder

I wouldn't change the master cylinder unless you are sure its defective. The master is under the hood and does not require tranny drop for replacement.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Lugg88

I am going to take ur advice and just order this and hold off on the master cylinder. The heavy duty csc is that a direct fit or is there anything that mechanic has to do to it. Also that says Motul fluids available as an option, either work perfect with the slave kits. Is this extra and should i use to over the Valvoline dot 3 n 4 fluid that i am currently using.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:34 AM
jon23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good idea on getting the HD CSC. I had to go OEM because my car was already at the shop getting its clutch and flywheel replaced when they found the CSC defective... Hope mine lasts.

The website says you don't need any modifications to fit this part any longer, so you should be ok!