Swift Springs: Weird Drop - Front vs Rear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 01:36 PM
ColesAircraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swift Springs: Weird Drop - Front vs Rear?

I know you guys have seen this picture before in the context of arguing stripes or grill color - but my drop as a consequence of my Swift springs is nagging me.

See the front drop vs the rear:

I know that it's not unusual to have more clearance on the front, but Swift's stats said that the front would drop 1.5" and the rear 1" - yet my car still looks like its got sacks of potatoes in its trunk.

Am I wrong???

I absolutely love the ride and handling with these Swift springs, but H & R seems to equal out better than this in terms of appearance, and I don't see why the front couldn't go down a bit more without rubbing.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:00 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
You just have to post that pic in every thread you create eh?

Can we get side profile shots of your front and rear wheel gaps for our reference?
Old 07-01-2012, 02:09 PM
ColesAircraft

Originally Posted by G37Sam
You just have to post that pic in every thread you create eh?

Well . . . it's the best one, and with all the changes I make every few days it's the only one up to date. But, yes, I'll take and post a side view.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:26 PM
ColesAircraft

Here we go: Better pictures without my cocky smirk in the image, though excuse the debris-strewn driveway. I haven't picked up yet after the storms.

There's definitely more clearance on the fronts - it's just a question of how much of an issue it is.

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2012, 02:33 PM
DiasG

Originally Posted by ColesAircraft
Here we go: Better pictures without my cocky smirk in the image, though excuse the debris-strewn driveway. I haven't picked up yet after the storms.

[IMG] IMG_1928 by ColesAircraft, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] IMG_1929 by ColesAircraft, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] IMG_1931 by ColesAircraft, on Flickr[/IMG]

There's definitely more clearance on the fronts - it's just a question of how much of an issue it is.

Thanks!
How long ago did you get them installed? What is your tire wall front and back ?30? Definitely look a lot higher in the front..
Old 07-01-2012, 02:44 PM
ColesAircraft

Originally Posted by DiasG
How long ago did you get them installed? What is your tire wall front and back ?30? Definitely look a lot higher in the front..
I had this done about three weeks ago, with the camber kit last week. I'll have to look up the tire info - but the drop was done while on the 19" OEM w/ original tires, and the clearance disparity was about the same as this.

I assume that this is an intended 'Swift drop' - but people should see it for what it evidently is in case they're not okay with it. The handling and ride is awesome - smoother than stock even w/ the IForged 20s (if that's possible). But if folks don't like the drop . . .
Old 07-01-2012, 02:49 PM
MPax

I think it looks great. Maybe a bit too low for me. But mine is a daily driver with no mods. I would love to drop it...but only about 3/4 of an inch or so.
A nice square front bumper would make it look a lot lower too. Without all the hassle over speed bumps (Which I have 5 at my apt.).
Old 07-01-2012, 03:00 PM
ColesAircraft

Originally Posted by MPax
I think it looks great. Maybe a bit too low for me. But mine is a daily driver with no mods. I would love to drop it...but only about 3/4 of an inch or so.
A nice square front bumper would make it look a lot lower too. Without all the hassle over speed bumps (Which I have 5 at my apt.).
I was very reluctant to drop anything for the reasons you describe. But I scratched one of my OEM wheels, which meant that in order to make a bad day good I had to commit to a vast upgrade. Then I saw how 20" wheels looked silly without a drop, and then after the drop I needed a camber kit . . . But w/ the scratched wheel it had to happen.

I've been extremely and happily surprised, however, with the ride on this modified car. No sacrifice at all - except for a slight bit noisier. No rubbing. No jarring. My wife didn't notice any difference, and she would tell me if she did! (Imagine: "You paid how much for all this and what did you do???") She actually loves the changes and how it looks.

Winter will be something else.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:07 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You do know the stock height on the wheelarch is already lower in the rear than the front? It's just not as noticeable with the big gap...

What size tires do you have front and rear? What is the height of the tires?
Old 07-01-2012, 04:27 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Your not going to get thy look you want unless it change over to coilovers!
Old 07-01-2012, 04:38 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
what's your tire and rim spec? its very possible its disporportionate
Old 07-01-2012, 05:07 PM
ColesAircraft

Originally Posted by jujubii
what's your tire and rim spec? its very possible its disporportionate

Wheel size:

Fronts - 20" x 9
Rears - 20" x 10
Offset - 32mm

Tires:

Yokohoma S. Drives
Front - 245/35/20
Rear - 275/30/20
Old 07-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
To even it out you could put a rubber spacer of the appropriate height in the bottom of the rear spring buckets to raise the hight slightly to match the fronts without degrading the ride or handling characteristics.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:08 PM
ColesAircraft

Originally Posted by Black Betty
To even it out you could put a rubber spacer of the appropriate height in the bottom of the rear spring buckets to raise the hight slightly to match the fronts without degrading the ride or handling characteristics.

That's not a bad idea.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:16 PM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Exactly what I was about to suggest. Particularly because the rear looks to low to me. But I'm not a dump it fan. Nothing to lose... Try it!

Quick Reply: Swift Springs: Weird Drop - Front vs Rear?