Camber Kit Needed For H&R Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 01:38 PM
johncy2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XtatiC
for H&R, which is what I'm running, I'd suggest both front and rear camber kits. I was going throw front tires very often. However, I also just had a SPC front camber kit snap in half (upper control arm) about 4 days ago. didn't hit anything, just broke. I began a thread about it and it appears that quite of few folks have had or have heard of a similar experience.

I mention it, not to bad mouth SPC, but for you to be aware, as it could be extremely dangerous if it was to break while you were driving at a higher speed.
This has me worried. I cant believe it snapped in half! Maybe I should just go with Eibachs but the drop just doesnt seem like enough. I wish there was a spring that had decent drop but doesnt require a camber kit.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:41 PM
jjasonSU

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Been riding on SPCs with no problems.

Camber kit should cost about $300 check the vendors section
Old 06-05-2012, 09:53 PM
nukee26

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by XtatiC
for H&R, which is what I'm running, I'd suggest both front and rear camber kits. I was going throw front tires very often. However, I also just had a SPC front camber kit snap in half (upper control arm) about 4 days ago. didn't hit anything, just broke. I began a thread about it and it appears that quite of few folks have had or have heard of a similar experience.

I mention it, not to bad mouth SPC, but for you to be aware, as it could be extremely dangerous if it was to break while you were driving at a higher speed.
I hate to poke you for more details, but I just want to get more background about your setup and the failure.

Do you track the car at all?
How many miles did you put on the kit before it failed?
Do you have a photo of the failed arm?
Old 06-05-2012, 11:01 PM
BooSa37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Been riding on my spc for 2+ years no problems.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:05 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Hey guys, I reported what I had been reading on here to SPC.

Here is there response.

Hello Brian,
Thanks for contacting SPC Performance.* I am concerned to hear the conversation you mentioned below.* Would you send me a link to the thread so I can review?
Anyone who is reporting “knocking when installed” needs to re-look at their install.* The knocking is likely caused by the control arm making contact with the inner fender well.* If a car is lowered enough and has soft enough springs there will be up travel contact with our arms (or any other including OE for that matter.)* We include Bump Stop Spacers part #67300 to make sure that the bump stop on the strut manages up-travel, not the control arm.* *If the arm is making contact with any other part of the chassis the arms have not been installed correctly.
You also mentioned broken arms. We have had one reported field incident (March of this year) that fits the description you mention below.* In review we found that the failure on the arms propagated from an up travel impact.* Our review documented significant contact with other chassis components.* This was most likely caused by an improper install by the installer.
As for your question regarding design change; We never want an arm failure, regardless of the cause.* We are in the process of updating our design to increase cross section of the observed failure point by 55%.* Also, we have moved to a higher grade steel.** As you can imagine, our manufacturing cost is going to be higher, but the results is an arm that will exceed any requirements and give us added safety factor.* The updated arm is expected to start to ship in August.
As always, all products available from Specialty Products Company should only be installed be persons who have the necessary skill, training and tools to do the job correctly and safely.* Incorrect installation can result in personal injury, vehicle damage and / or loss of vehicle control.
Best Regards, Ben
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2012 7:21 AM
To: Ben Bigelow
Subject: FW: New entry added
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2012 7:11 AM
To: Chris Hinds; Jim Frens
Cc: Ben Bigelow
Subject: FW: New entry added

Sent: Sunday, June 03, 2012 9:04 PM
To: custserv none
Subject: New entry added

A new entry has been added to Contact Us and contains the following data
Name : Brian Schwab
Phone Number : 2407538992
Email Address : GTLAW100@gmail.com
Company Name :
Address : 8211 Northlake CT.
City : Laurel
State : Maryland
Zip : 20707
Send Me A Catalog :
Vehicle Make/Model/Year : 2011 Infiniti G37 Coupe
How Can We Assist You? : I have been reading from other G37 owners that, the front SPC camber kit is not safe to use and is kocking when installed. A few people have stated that there front control Arm broke in half.

Is this safe to run? has there been any updates made?

Thank you
Old 06-05-2012, 11:19 PM
nukee26

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BooSa37
Been riding on my spc for 2+ years no problems.
I've been on mine for 9k miles now. But I still get a little irked with stories like this when I know my car is on the highway >75% of the time it seems. That said, I tend to overthink things like no other
Old 06-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Domate
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Interesting response from SPC. I am experiencing scraping every now and then, this happens on bigger bumps and dips, but never any "knocking". Delving into his response a bit more, this issue could occur with any camber kit installed improperly.

Do you guys concur?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:46 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
I've been riding on SPC for over 2 years now with no issues. But I'm on Tanabe springs which is a very mild drop in front.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:59 AM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
SPL is another good option. I dont and wont use front camber kits anymore.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:19 AM
BosMaSwaG37

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was dropped on Tein S-Techs on my 08 G and never installed a front camber kit. I drove the **** out of it one year and put close to 20k on it. My tires were fine in the sense that I didn't notice any unusual or abnormal wear, and if you aren't familiar with S-techs, the drop isn't too far from H&R's. An interesting fact is that even though I had rear camber, I barely got 6k out of the rear tires. I was told it was because I didn't install the "toe." Who really knows why. I ‘m currently dropped on Tanabe coils and have no front camber, just rear camber and toe and I have yet to see any abnormal wear on my fronts. I think the need for front camber is dependent your drop, driving style and driving frequency. I am pretty slammed too. I wouldn’t spent the cash on front camber kits especially with the horror stories out there…it isn’t worth the time, money and anxiety it could potentially cost you.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Dr.Pat

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by johncy2000
Maybe I should just go with Eibachs but the drop just doesnt seem like enough. I wish there was a spring that had decent drop but doesnt require a camber kit.
Are you looking to slam your car or just lower it? I have the Eibach Pro-Kit springs on mine and I love them. The ride height is pretty much even in the front and back. I have 20mm H&R spacers and the ride quality/comfort is same as stock. The Pro-Kit got rid of that awful wheel gap but aren't so low that I'm scraping over everything...the tops of the tires are right at the edge of the fender lip. Plus I didn't need CC plates or new shocks/struts...alignment was dead on.

Just something to consider...
Old 06-07-2012, 04:45 PM
johncy2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Pat
Are you looking to slam your car or just lower it? I have the Eibach Pro-Kit springs on mine and I love them. The ride height is pretty much even in the front and back. I have 20mm H&R spacers and the ride quality/comfort is same as stock. The Pro-Kit got rid of that awful wheel gap but aren't so low that I'm scraping over everything...the tops of the tires are right at the edge of the fender lip. Plus I didn't need CC plates or new shocks/struts...alignment was dead on.

Just something to consider...
Niice drop. I just want the car to look flush with spacers on it. That actualy looks dead on. Whats the drop for Eibachs?
Old 06-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Dr.Pat

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
With the 20mm spacers all around the tires are exactly flush to the fenders. I think they lowered the fronts a little less than 1.5" and the rears were lowered around 1"...with the stock suspension the front sit about .5" higher than the rears
Old 06-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Steveoh187
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
like P Casey mentioned, I went with the SPL rear camber kit because of some of the stories I'd read regarding other brand camber kits snapping or malfunctioning in one way or another. The SPL rear camber arms are very beefy and well made, interesting tid bit though, if you order the rear toe bolt kit to go with the arms, they send you SPC rear toe bolts haha. I'm holding off on the front camber kit until either SPC releases the revised version in August or SPL puts out an option for our G's.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:26 AM
XtatiC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nukee26
I hate to poke you for more details, but I just want to get more background about your setup and the failure.

Do you track the car at all?
How many miles did you put on the kit before it failed?
Do you have a photo of the failed arm?
No problem... I only have pics on my phone. Don't know if I can upload them through my phone or Ipad.

I don't track the car. Never have. Actually, I can honestly say I've never really even pushed the car (may be sad, but true. Especially in So Cal traffic lol)

I'd say the kit has about 15k miles on it.

Quick Reply: Camber Kit Needed For H&R Springs?