Review = M7 Japan Coilovers =

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 07:07 PM
J2S2M

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up = M7 Japan Coilovers =

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a set of M7 Japan coilovers for my 2008 sedan. I was previously on H&R sport springs paired with Tokico hp struts for a while. My previous set up was decent for daily driving but I wanted to drop my car tad bit more and have the damping adjustability so that I can firm up the damping/rebound. I always felt that my car was under-damped especially at high speeds or when cornering hard. As far as suspension mods, I have the following: M7 Japan Coilovers, Cusco Strut Bar, Hotchkis Sways, SPC Front Camber Arms, Eibach Rear Camber Arms w/ Toe Bolts.

I would like to thank Lou @ Amplified Motorsports for giving the opportunity to run these on my sedan. I know that these have not been officially released here in the States. I am actually the second person here in the States to run these on a V36 other than Lou himself. I know some of you guys are wondering about M7 Japan but they are not as widely known as other JDM company here in the States. However, they are growing fast especially in the circuit scene. They make many aftermarket parts for many imports including R35 GTR, and now the Z34/V36. Amplified Motorsports is an exclusive authorized dealer for their stuff, so hit up Lou if anyone is interested.

Front:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40794690@N08/7143340875/
Rear:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40794690@N08/7143340873/
Anyway, on to my review. I've had these installed about 3 weeks ago. First, the build quality on these are rock solid. I can tell that these were manufactured with performance and quality in mind. The damping controls have a 35 way adjustability which is unheard of. I have mine set at 18 clicks up front and 16 clicks in the rear. I've dialed in about 700-800 miles since the install. I used to tell myself, 'why do I need coilovers when I will most likely never track my car? When my car is just a daily driver to commute back and forth from work?' I always told myself that it's an over kill for someone who daily drives their car like myself. But let me tell you, I was SO wrong! The difference you feel with a set of quality coilovers is beyond night and day. The car felt so much more planted overall in all road conditions. It really changed the dynamics of my whole suspension feel and how it handles. The biggest difference was the way it corners at high speeds. I used to feel my car to lack so much lateral traction when cornering at high speeds. I honestly thought maybe it was the soft sidewall of my Hankook V12's but it definitely was not the tires. After the coilover install, I can literally hit any corner and on ramp at nearly twice the speed I was pushing my car with my previous set up. The car feels so much more in control and predictable. It really feels like your on rails without all the understeering. If I had to rate the difference in performance in numbers, I would have to say it's about 3 times better than how my car felt before. I know that coilovers aren't cheap but this was one of the best investments I've made for the long haul.

Unfortunately when you gain something, you usually have to lose something in return. After the coilover install, I have to admit you give up some ride quality. Your ride will be noticeably more harsh. You will feel every bump and imperfection on the road which you didn't feel before. I personally do not mind sacrificing a lil comfort for better performance. My theory is that you gotta give a little in order to gain something especially when modifying cars.

So overall, I am very happy with my decision on the M7 coilovers. I know that these are not cheap but IMO it's definitely worth the investment if you want to explore the world of fine tuning with your suspension. I still have to do some final adjusting before my final alignment. I will hitting up Lou again at Amplified. All the guys there are super friendly and will treat your car like it is one of their own. I will follow up this thread again once I do some final tuning with my suspension.

Here's the pic after the initial install. I am lowering the front another .5 inch soon. I will definitely get some proper photos once everything is finished and dialed in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40794690@N08/7094396611/
Thanks for viewing.

-Jason
Old 05-04-2012, 07:16 PM
fairladyz34

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice to see M7 making more stuff for our cars!! Def a nice scoop, top notch JDM FTW
Old 05-04-2012, 07:29 PM
kevshiau
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
nice coils!

did amplified moved to a new location?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
What made you go with the M7 (something that clearly hasn't been around the block) versus one of the others mentioned on these forums like KW3, Tanabe, stance, ark, bc, megan...etc?

Not trying to question you or your choice, but I'm just wondering if there was some specific reason like cost, or performance on another vehicle.....

Last edited by Rad_Slinger; 05-05-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Wouldn't want anyone to "misconstrue" my comment
Old 05-04-2012, 07:53 PM
J2S2M

Originally Posted by Mattster
What made you go with the M7 (something that clearly hasn't been around the block) versus one of the tried and true choices like KW3, Tanabe, stance, ark, etc?

Not trying to question you or your choice, but I'm just wondering if there was some specific reason like cost, or performance on another vehicle.....
I was really on the fence b/w these and the KW V3's. I know a lot of guys have had great experiences with KW's but I was open to trying something new. I know there is great engineering behind almost all JDM products. I did my research on the M7 coils too before I made my decision. All the guys that have tried the M7 had great things to say (Evos and Mini guys). Plus they come with a 2 year warranty vs. KW's 1 year coverage. It also doesn't hurt that M7 headquarter is local here in socal. If I ever need to have my coils rebuilt for revalving, etc, they will be easily be accessible to me.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What made you go with the M7 (something that clearly hasn't been around the block) versus one of the tried and true choices like KW3, Tanabe, stance, ark, etc?

they established since japan in 2006. They made coilovers before ark or stance or bc.....
Old 05-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Ra_
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice contribution! Love the GT-S too!

How's the ride harshness compared to your prior set up lowering springs/struts?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Ra_
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lou@Amplified
they established since japan in 2006. They made coilovers before ark or stance or bc.....
Any support for the AWD peeps?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:56 PM
J2S2M

Originally Posted by Ra_
Nice contribution! Love the GT-S too!

How's the ride harshness compared to your prior set up lowering springs/struts?
Thanks. The GTS's were purchased recently as well. So I am pretty happy with the new set up. The ride is definitely firmer than my H&R + Tokico set up but I always felt that ride felt overly saggy and under-damped. So I am actually enjoying the new feel with the coilovers.

Originally Posted by Ra_
Any support for the AWD peeps?
No love for AWD yet since these were made for the Z34/370z's.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:11 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Great review. Another option for G's out there.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:22 AM
g35sedan5at

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats the price range on these things? are custom rates available? does it come with matched shock valving? are swift springs available because lets face it, they appear to be better than run of the mill coilovers for sure but the springs are not swift springs, nor can anyone argue that point.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Great write up OP. Thank you for your honest feedback.
I have the coils on my G and I'm quite impressed with them. I'll go into more depth details once I get a chance to test them some more. We just installed another set on a 370z and he tested them on at button willow yesterday and was very pleased with the results. With the m7 coilovers and whiteline away bars, he shaved almost 4 seconds from his last visit at button willow

KevMo, yes we moved. Please see my Sig

Sorry no AWD for now but I'm trying to convince them to make it

Swift will be an option very soon . Working on something to make to change the rear bottom spring seat to fit Swift 2.5 inch OUTSIDE diameter springs
Old 05-05-2012, 12:52 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Car looks good, Jason... Glad you're happy, man. Good stuff.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by WPPJR30

Simply meant I've seen the ones I've mentioned here on the forums before, and not the ones op installed. That's all. I could have said Megan, or BC, or that other eBay cheap one (can't think of the name). By no means did I say popular.

Slow your roll son.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:32 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Simply meant I've seen the ones I've mentioned here on the forums before, and not the ones op installed. That's all. I could have said Megan, or BC, or that other eBay cheap one (can't think of the name). By no means did I say popular.

Slow your roll son.
Slow my roll? Son?

Come on... Relax.

I'm not talking about popularity. I'm saying that ARK and Stance are hardly "tried and true" and have not even approached the block let alone been around it. This is what is dangerous about forums. People develop their false beliefs based on false information. Someone would read your post and then repeat it and repeat it again and someone else might repeat it, etc...

ARK introduced their coilovers less than a year and a half ago. I think I have seen one G with them installed. That is all I was saying. They are hardly "tried and true." Please don't tell me to "slow my roll," whatever that means. Maybe you should just think twice before you post something that can easily be misconstrued by a member who knows no better.

Quick Reply: Review = M7 Japan Coilovers =