Hotchkis for the AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Alright guys now for the review, I've had the sways for a month now and I notice a great difference switching from the stocks to Hotchkis. I am running the stiffest setting in the front and medium in the rear. I feel more connected to the road now, I will not go as far as saying that it handles like a dream and like my 08 sport coupe but its good for what it is and I feel it is money well spent.

There is one variable that gbest03 brought up a while back and that is involving tires, the handling on my car has improved significantly however the tires are holding the performance back. I am able to take sharp turns, however right in to the turn my stock all season tires give out and start squealing. I HIGHLY recommend using sport tires if possible and if you have a spare winter set.

As far as handling and value factor goes, I am extremely happy to have paid for this mod as if made my car feel a lot less floaty and more intuitive as it should have came from the factory.
The following users liked this post:
Mattlorentzoe (09-12-2015)
Old 05-29-2012, 09:28 PM
jmurbas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^+1

I agree completely. Anxious to get my Hankook V12s on and remove the tire limitation.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:21 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by Goonz
I will not go as far as saying that it handles like a dream and like my 08 sport coupe but its good for what it is and I feel it is money well spent.
Uh oh... this gives me pause, Goonz. I've been loosely planning on an aftermarket swaybar kit for next year, but am concerned about the handling gains as compared to the already excellent sport suspension on the RWD S-Sedan; (which is not at all the same as the AWD car.) And here you are saying the Hotchkis sways are an improvement, but not as good as your 08 Sport Coupe?

Was the suspension on your 08 RWD Sport Coupe original equipment?
Old 05-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Uh oh... this gives me pause, Goonz. I've been loosely planning on an aftermarket swaybar kit for next year, but am concerned about the handling gains as compared to the already excellent sport suspension on the RWD S-Sedan; (which is not at all the same as the AWD car.) And here you are saying the Hotchkis sways are an improvement, but not as good as your 08 Sport Coupe?

Was the suspension on your 08 RWD Sport Coupe original equipment?
I may of had a poor choice of words there but my 08 sport coupe had stock suspension, I could only have imagine how awesome my handling would have been with hotchkis installed as well. So to you I would say YES absolutely you should get hotchkis to compliment your sport sedan. You will have a blast with them. Its not bad on the all wheel drive sedan but its really not fair to compare that with the sport sedan obviously.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I may of had a poor choice of words there but my 08 sport coupe had stock suspension, I could only have imagine how awesome my handling would have been with hotchkis installed as well. So to you I would say YES absolutely you should get hotchkis to compliment your sport sedan. You will have a blast with them. Its not bad on the all wheel drive sedan but its really not fair to compare that with the sport sedan obviously.
You're walking me back to the Win column. Good man. Like anything I've ever modded, I'll continue reading and researching until the schedule comes around to decision time.

I agree with the comment about tires... high-performance, summer-only for the Summer; Snows for the winter. Just imagine the confidence you'll have on snow & ice with AWD and snow tires.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:19 PM
supadice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone that installed the sways notice the steering get lighter? I installed them this weekend and even though i can corner at a faster speed the tightness of the steering has diminished.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:19 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
Alright guys now for the review, I've had the sways for a month now and I notice a great difference switching from the stocks to Hotchkis. I am running the stiffest setting in the front and medium in the rear. I feel more connected to the road now, I will not go as far as saying that it handles like a dream and like my 08 sport coupe but its good for what it is and I feel it is money well spent.

There is one variable that gbest03 brought up a while back and that is involving tires, the handling on my car has improved significantly however the tires are holding the performance back. I am able to take sharp turns, however right in to the turn my stock all season tires give out and start squealing. I HIGHLY recommend using sport tires if possible and if you have a spare winter set.

As far as handling and value factor goes, I am extremely happy to have paid for this mod as if made my car feel a lot less floaty and more intuitive as it should have came from the factory.
Hows the review 3 years later?????? lol
Old 09-15-2015, 06:15 PM
XSman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had mine on for a few years now and I still break a smile when I hit an S curve on the way to and from work.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:05 PM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Would you guys still recommend for to install the Hotchins if I am already dropped on the Swifts ?

Even after the drop I can still fee the rear being a little bouncy. Would the hotchins be too much though?

Any thoughts ?
Old 09-15-2015, 08:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by si_driver
Would you guys still recommend for to install the Hotchins if I am already dropped on the Swifts?
Hell yeah.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:26 AM
yonith

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm still so unsure about how to set my Hotchkis sways when they come in on Monday. It appears many have stuck to Hotchkis' recommendation of stiffest front and middle back. I didn't see this recommendation anywhere on the Hotchkis website...maybe someone talked to their customer service? Gbest03, on the other hand, appears to be very happy with softest on front and rear. I live in NJ and our winters/roads can get bad, so I am obviously looking for the best balance of sport and comfort.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:57 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Ideally, like all suspension tuning, it's going to be different per car and driver. If done right you would be setting it based on your driving style and the road you would be using the set-up on. In a track situation you would start at the softest setting (or stiffest depending on which school of thought you learned from), drive around the track four or so laps and adjust as needed until you archive your best times when pushing the car to the limit. Sadly I doubt you have the time or track to do this so your going to most likely go with what most people seem to like. So I will throw in my setting for your consideration: Soft in front, stiffest in the rear. In conjunction with my coilover settings (FT500, +8/+11) and spring rates (11kg/9kg) I get a pretty neutral handling car that so far does what I want it to do when I want it to. If they preloaded right then they are not hard to change the settings on with just a pair of wrenches.
The following users liked this post:
yonith (12-05-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 10:24 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 234 Posts
This is definitely the next mod on my list.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:55 PM
NSH PREDS

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Installed mine last Friday. Stuff in the back seat slides from door to door all the time now. Good stuff.

Set to stiffest in the front and middle for the rear.

No decrease in comfort. Car feels better overall.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:58 PM
yonith

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NSH PREDS
Installed mine last Friday. Stuff in the back seat slides from door to door all the time now.
What stiffness settings did you go with? Any noticeable decrease in comfort?

Quick Reply: Hotchkis for the AWD