Old 04-18-2012, 01:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by BLamb
Here's some good info on a few brands and the stiffness vs OEM:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...sway-bars.html

Originally Posted by Goonz
You're right, I knew all along prior to getting the sedan that it wouldn't compare at all with my RWD sport coupe
Or the RWD sport sedan, who's handling characteristics are simply heroic.

Open wound... insert salt.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:57 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
I don't think bars alone will change the way the car feels in typical straight line driving. You should get some better cornering stability and reduction in understeer. I wonder if the suspension bits (shocks) from a rwd would easily bolt up to the awd model to give you that tighter, more controlled damping.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Yeah, but the bars are a good start at $350 - $400 for bolt-ons, and maybe good enough for what the OP wants.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Yeah, but the bars are a good start at $350 - $400 for bolt-ons, and maybe good enough for what the OP wants.
pretty much

im not looking for a night and day difference, that I know will not happen unless I do serious suspension work which I wont since its a lease. Hopefully this will work out, we'll see

and yes, I'm adding salt to my own wound everyday
Old 04-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Well, today I finally got them put on, took the guys an hour. The settings I chose were the stiffest in the front and medium in the back. I couldn't believe how skinny the rear sway bar was, the front was pretty beefy by the pics will say it all..A review to come in a few days, quite excited!!

stock vs. Hotchkis

Name:  swayphoto1.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  336.5 KB

a little scratched but oh well

Name:  swayphoto2.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  369.6 KB
Old 04-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
How'd you scratch them? Didn't you drop the back of your exhaust? Anyways congrats on your purchase. You'll see why many on these forums stick behind these sway bars for a nice upgrade to our stock suspension.

Also I would recommend shooting them with a grease gun soon after running them for a few dozen miles. I don't know if it's because I didn't get a lot of grease in the bushings on install, but shortly after install I got noise until re-greasing.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:27 PM
DeepRumble

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Waiting for your review. I am looking into buying these in the next couple months.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Dj1ofDet
How'd you scratch them? Didn't you drop the back of your exhaust?

Also I would recommend shooting them with a grease gun soon after running them for a few dozen miles. I don't know if it's because I didn't get a lot of grease in the bushings on install, but shortly after install I got noise until re-greasing.
yea the guy was having issues trying to figure out which side went where, scratched it up a good bit but oh well, no one see's the sways and as for greasing them up, he did shoot some grease in to the zerks quite generously after the install.

Went to run some errands today, def felt a BIG difference. I can feel the road more, the car does not sway as badly and is quite stable on the highway, so far so good, extreme cornering review to come soon
Old 05-13-2012, 04:45 PM
jmurbas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to Goonz, my installer and I made sure we dropped the exhaust a bit to install the rears. If you newly install these and want to notice the difference, go play on some 180 degree interstate on and off ramps. All I can say is "WOW!"

Last edited by jmurbas; 05-29-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:54 PM
*GP*

yea the guy was having issues trying to figure out which side went where, scratched it up a good bit but oh well, no one see's the sways and as for greasing them up, he did shoot some grease in to the zerks quite generously after the install.

Went to run some errands today, def felt a BIG difference. I can feel the road more, the car does not sway as badly and is quite stable on the highway, so far so good, extreme cornering review to come soon
Goonz, what's the update on the Hotchkis sways? Is it worth the upgrade? I'm leasing my '12 G37xs as well, so I don't feel like doing any major suspension upgrages but I would like to improve the overall handling. Let me know what you think.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:36 PM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
^^Definitely worth the upgrade. Sways are hands down (IMO anyway) the best bang for buck mod for our cars.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
+1 on the sway bar upgrade. They are one of those things that you may be skeptical about since no one talks bad about them, but they really are that good. BTW the OP is probably still adjusting to the shock of how noticeably better his cornering is. Lol
Old 05-21-2012, 09:52 AM
*GP*

Are the sways noticeable at lower speeds (less than 30mph) or more at highway speeds? I'm not a fan of the understeer at lower speeds and I'm curious if they help with that. My '08 G35xs didn't have much understeer so I didn't expect it on the '12 G37xs, but it's definitely there.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:07 PM
gbest03

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats an interesting observation regarding tires, that very well may also be the reasoning behind the floatyness of the car and similar characteristics. Now I wish I kept my snow tires so i could of used better summer rubber on these stockies..
I'll sell you back your snows

I put Pilot Super Sports and Hotchkis Sways on my 2011 XS sedan, it transformed the car.
Handling is similar to my old 08 Sport coupe, without the punishing ride.
The car is very agile and holds the road like velcro.
I have the sways on the softest settings front and rear.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by gbest03
I'll sell you back your snows

haha Im sure you used them a lot this winter! I may be willing to buy them back if you're interested, let me know

Last edited by Goonz; 05-29-2012 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Hotchkis for the AWD