New Discovery: My Rotors are Warped *facepalm* Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 04:47 AM
Mazaki

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
New Discovery: My Rotors are Warped *facepalm* Suggestions?

It seems like everything is going wrong with my G37S Auto lately.

Had to brake very hard today because of some teenage girl in an X5 cutting me off, and now my brakes shudder at higher speeds when slowing or stopping.

My car is going to the dealer tomorrow for an unrelated transmission issue, will they replace warped rotors or is this considered "wear and tear"? My car only has 21,500 on the odometer, though I live in a town that has a lot of hills, so my brakes take a pretty good beating.

And if the dealer won't replace my warped rotors under warranty, what rotors should I consider looking at for a performance upgrade?
Old 03-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
With 21k miles on it, they most likely won't replace the rotors and they will tell you the warp is from wear and tear or harsh driving.

So......

1. You can have the rotors resurfaced (or turned down however you wanna say it) and hope the warp isn't too bad so that the resurface process takes care of it. You can bring them to any parts store to get this done. Usually costs about $10 per rotor.

OR

2. You can buy new rotors. IF you go this route, you may want to consider dimpled or slotted rotors. They tend to disperse the heat a little better and don't USUALLY warp. I would stay away from drilled rotors as I am told you can't resurface them if needed...and they're super expensive most of the time.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:06 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Time to go aftermarket! With a proper bed in process they'll hopefully never warp
Old 03-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Mazaki

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattster
With 21k miles on it, they most likely won't replace the rotors and they will tell you the warp is from wear and tear or harsh driving.

So......

1. You can have the rotors resurfaced (or turned down however you wanna say it) and hope the warp isn't too bad so that the resurface process takes care of it. You can bring them to any parts store to get this done. Usually costs about $10 per rotor.

OR

2. You can buy new rotors. IF you go this route, you may want to consider dimpled or slotted rotors. They tend to disperse the heat a little better and don't USUALLY warp. I would stay away from drilled rotors as I am told you can't resurface them if needed...and they're super expensive most of the time.

Good luck.
Well, we'll see what the dealer says. I've been doing some reading about rotors, and I had read about some of the issues with drilled rotors, especially in concerns of heat dissipation and chance of cracking under hard breaking due to a lack of integrity. It sounds like slotted would prove the best avenue, particularly the Stillen rotors. They seem like a decent price, they're zinc coated for corrosion resistance, and Stillen has a pretty good reputation for producing quality parts.

How much would the dealership charge to replace both front rotors in this scenario? Is the installation any different from other cars where you just remove the caliper and a bolt?
Old 03-30-2012, 03:31 AM
dimsler
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you sure they are warped, or are you experiencing infintis infamous judder? where the poor infiniti pads start leaving deposits on the rotors which causes them to vibrate, especially during braking? There are several TSBs on the issue.

If you are getting rotors, go with something like the Centrics Premium line, or turn the old rotors and switch to a ceramic pad like the StopTech super sport, and brake them in appropriately.