Lowering question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:07 AM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lowering question

I would like to lower my car with eibach springs because I can't stand the fender gap, but my driveway is steep and Im worried I would scrape going out. The only time I scrape the tailpipe now is with two pax in the back seat. Do you guys think the eibach drop will cause the car to scrape all the time? Anyone who did drop now have problems with their driveway? Thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by trcb777
I would like to lower my car with eibach springs because I can't stand the fender gap, but my driveway is steep and Im worried I would scrape going out. The only time I scrape the tailpipe now is with two pax in the back seat. Do you guys think the eibach drop will cause the car to scrape all the time? Anyone who did drop now have problems with their driveway? Thanks
I've got a pretty aggressive drop compared to Eibachs (about 25 1/4" to the front fender) and a pretty steep angle into my driveway. It took some practice but I just come in at an angle then straighten up as I go, and do the reverse when backing out. I still get a minor scrape at the front bumper lower
flap now & then but that's it. With Eibachs you should be fine.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:45 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Sorry, I don't know what a 'PAX' is but if you already have an occasional scraping problem, then dropping it 1.2" in the rear is going to be a problem - especially if you put two 'PAX' in the back.

I have the Eibach pro kit but I don't encounter steep grade changes on regular, daily basis. For daily driving the Eibach's are a good, low cost option for sure.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:52 AM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry, work lingo Pax = passengers.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:41 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
i had the eibach setup before. i loved the stance, the handling, and the ride. my only problem was scraping on speedbumps and driveway crests - especially w/passengers. it wasn't the driveway approach so much, but the crests where the sedan's longer wheelbase would "high-centre" and scrape a cross-member. it drove me nuts, and after a while i determined that, even if i loved the look etc, i couldn't justify the nuisance for a daily driver sedan in my area (lots of hills). the coupe is much better suited to a drop since it is shorter wheelbase if one lives in a hilly area.

just my 0.02. i know others can put up with the hassle. i put the Z suspension my old '04 6MT sedan and that was an awesome setup at ~1" drop or a touch less.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:50 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
i had the eibach setup before. i loved the stance, the handling, and the ride. my only problem was scraping on speedbumps and driveway crests - especially w/passengers. it wasn't the driveway approach so much, but the crests where the sedan's longer wheelbase would "high-centre" and scrape a cross-member. it drove me nuts, and after a while i determined that, even if i loved the look etc, i couldn't justify the nuisance for a daily driver sedan in my area (lots of hills). the coupe is much better suited to a drop since it is shorter wheelbase if one lives in a hilly area.

just my 0.02. i know others can put up with the hassle. i put the Z suspension my old '04 6MT sedan and that was an awesome setup at ~1" drop or a touch less.
I wasn't certain (just pretty sure) so I looked it up. The new sedans and coupes both have a 112.2" wheel base and vehicle length is only about 4.5" different.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:07 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Dropping your car will make you much more aware of anything that may get in its' way such as speed bumps or the dreaded speed humps (those elongated risers), road rubber, steep inclines, and snow over 3" deep. The ride and the look are soooo worth it IMO. I wouldn't want to go any lower though, only had a couple light scrapes on speed bumps and a couple bumper scrapes (just the underside, nothing noticeable), and now that I've been lowered for awhile I'm pretty good at navigating trough those beasts without any incident. Eibachs are a mild drop so with just minor precautions you shouldn't have any problems and you'll get rid of the 4X4 look.