G37 on Tein SS-P Coils

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
G37 on Tein SS-P Coils

UPDATE

After having the Eibach Springs and sways installed for a few months I was looking for better handling and a better drop without wanting to sacrifice any ride quality. I know there isn't much for information on handling/quality on the Tein Coils so I thought I would take a brief moment to give some info to other members and answer some of the questions I can in the meantime to help out any others.

I liked how my car rode with the springs, but the ride seemed bouncy at times and I didn't like the progressive spring rate they offered, but they did well and the drop was nice and subtle. I just installed my springs a few days ago and I'm very impressed with how the car handles now and the quality of the components Tein used. I used to think I was one of the those cool guys cuz I had springs and sways that I could corner really well and didn't have much body roll ( I could corner fairly well for a 3,800 pound sedan, but the body roll was pretty bad!) But now I'm having to re learn cornering with the lack of body roll these things offer! It's a night and day difference from the stock suspension and even the springs as well. I think the ride is more compliant in some aspects and on some of the bumpier roads it does a nicer job adjusting to the undulations and makes the best of it. I'm sure it would be even better if I wasn't on 20s of course! I have the back dialed 4 clicks off the stiffest but will probably move to 1 or 2 so I have a bit less travel back there and I'm about 6 off in the front. But for anyone thinking about it or wanting to make the jump and asking yourself if it is worth it it totally is!! I used to be one of those people that didn't think the ride was that dramatic and was happy where my ride height was, but after putting a few hundred miles on them and around town I'm quite happy. I've even noticed how much better my rear is planted starting out hard around corners or even just accelerations in general.

I'm in no way saying I'm a professional at this and I'm still learning more about it as a trial and error basis for the time being. But I'm very happy with how it turned out and would do it like this all over again!! Here are some pics to enjoy with it!!

Here's a before with my Eibachs Wheels are Vossen VVS-085 20x9.0 +38 20 x 10.5 +42 Tires are Bridgestone RE760's 255/35/20 - 285/30/20
Name:  DSC_0602.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  176.6 KB

Just dropped my coils another 1/2" and thought I would update the thread!

Name:  DSC_0893.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  474.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0880.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  491.2 KB

Name:  DSC_0891.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  487.8 KB

Camber kit for the front is not needed. Rear will be installed this weekend

Last edited by Alpha Ice; 11-20-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: UPDATED - Fixed Pics
Old 03-11-2012, 05:57 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Nice drop & you gotta love the range of adjustments w/ the coilovers. Nice ride review too, will you have to adjust your alignment settings again?
Old 03-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Originally Posted by blnewt
Nice drop & you gotta love the range of adjustments w/ the coilovers. Nice ride review too, will you have to adjust your alignment settings again?
Yea the adjustments were crazy, I was really impressed with how easy it is to raise and lower it w/e you choose. Other than taking the wheel off, you just use the two tools to move the two pieces up or down and then lock them into place. I haven't done an alignment yet, I'm going to get a camber kit installed early this week and will then have an alignment done. But I think I have less negative camber now than when I was at -2.0 camber with my springs. I will have it done soon tho and can report back on it! It helps having the Sport package since I'm almost as low as I want to go up front and yet I still have a few inches of clearance so I don't have to drive AS goofy as some of the guys I know lol. But they also look a bit better too Hopefully I will have the EDFC installed within the next month so I can adjust the front settings easily from inside.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:38 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
Great review Mike! Glad you like them as much as I like mine
Old 11-20-2012, 04:49 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
How are you liking your SSP's so far?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Originally Posted by G37Sam
How are you liking your SSP's so far?
I'm very happy with them, they are a bit stiffer than stock but certainly a nicer more comfortable ride than the Tein Flex system. I love that the car turns on a dime and with the EDFC system our trip that Soolman and I took to FL made things interesting!! One moment your driving along comfortably next thing you know we are doing some spirited driving w/o having to adjust anything other than pushing a button

We took them out on the Tail of the Dragon and they performed very well for me!!! Although I wasn't wanting to push it much more I felt very confident and was extremely happy with how well they kept me planted! You will hear people speak over and over how much of a difference they make compared to springs but you literally can't begin to think about it until you have it done....not to mention the options you have with height and adjustment. I do wish I could go a bit lower up front, but since I only have the sport package I'm fairly low as it is. Soolman has the Zele front so he is quite a bit lower off the ground and in a coupe so he has a bit of an edge on me there
Old 11-20-2012, 11:14 AM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
Haha Mikey don't be mad, just get a coupe next time around but yes I too would recommend these to anyone looking for a good set of coilovers. Great for daily driving and offers good performance when you get into the twisties.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Diego@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 232 Posts
Excellent upgrade and review. Car is looking fresh as alway's.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:25 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Thanks for your feedback Alpha Ice. I am definitely considering one of these for the near future. Just debating whether I should go with Tein SSP or Tein Flex.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Thanks for your feedback Alpha Ice. I am definitely considering one of these for the near future. Just debating whether I should go with Tein SSP or Tein Flex.
It really comes down to your preference and your use, I dd my car and don't do much tracking/racing so I'm more than happy with the SS-P. I wondered the same thing, my friend who had the FLEX did some track and road coursing with his and had lots of stuff to stiffen up his ride and it worked well but after he rode in mine he complained of how uncomfortable his was compared to mine. Note the spring rates for SS-P are 8/9 I believe while the FLEX are 12/14 I believe, but don't quote me. It is a significant difference and I'm happy to say that the SS-P doesn't deter from wanting to drive my car and my girlfriend has no complaints whether I'm on 16/16 (softest, normally would be 32, but who really needs that many settings??) or 0/0 (stiffest). I will say it is nice to drive around down at 8/8 or 12/12 just for the added comfort but when you wanna start carving or doing some fun freeway maneuvering the 0/0 makes a great choice on the fly. But rest assured even without the EDFC the ride is still compliant if you stayed at 0/0 all the time or 8/8 lol.

Otherwise if you have any further questions don't be hesitant to ask myself or Soolman
Old 11-20-2012, 01:31 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

I appreciate your honest opinion Alpha

Can the springs not be swapped though? I actually am looking for stiffer springs.