Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

KONI Sport Yellow Dampers instal with pics.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 03:43 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
No need to buy me a bottle of wine, I'm glad i could help

I think this is where the whole misconception comes from that Koni Yellows raise the G. It's easy to mistakenly mount the lower perch backwards, because lets face it, the "instructions" that come with the Koni's suck.

Interesting to know about the lock washer. I just went with the diagram in the instructions. It would be easy to fix if its wrong.
I was serious, I truly appreciate it. Thank you again. The way correct way of mounting it looks wrong to me but I can see from the photos that it's right.

The "instructions" are criminal. I get that they're made to be simple and don't explain anything and just have crude drawings (which are horrible) so that they can send the same ones to every market in the world, but come on Koni. At least provide better drawings that are clearer in their direction. Or stamp the top of the lower spring seat with "up" or "top" or something. Or curl the edge up a bit so that the spring only sits correctly on it the wrong way.

Form what I've read, the lock washer wont hurt anything where you have it, it just won't do anything.
The following 2 users liked this post by Black Betty:
Lego_Maniac (02-27-2015), twin_snails (03-02-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 04:36 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
This might sound silly but some people like myself would like to improve handling but retain the OEM ride height.

So would Swift spring + Koni w/perches mounted upside down "cancel" each other out and not affect the ride height much at all?
Old 02-27-2015, 04:49 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by antirice
This might sound silly but some people like myself would like to improve handling but retain the OEM ride height.

So would Swift spring + Koni w/perches mounted upside down "cancel" each other out and not affect the ride height much at all?
Why not just use OEM springs + Koni
Old 02-27-2015, 05:29 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by antirice

No. You would be higher then OEM like me. I might post a pic later before I fix it.

You could buy some Swift springs that are the same height as OEM and the stiffness of your choice and put them on the Konis. That would be great. You an buy the Swifts in various heights and any stiffness from very soft to race car.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:17 PM
Roadrash666
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I have a question for anyone who has assembled the front strut/spring units. The parts provided for the front includes the strut itself, the lower spring seat, and some mounting hardware: a teflon washer that goes on the top of the strut body, the piston nut, a flat washer and a split washer. What is the split washer for and where does it go? Split lock washers aren't supposed to be used on top of a flat washer. What's it's purpose?
Split lock washers should always be used with a flat washer. The split washer acts as a spring that exerts force between the flat washer and the fastener. That's what keeps the fastener from backing off, and the flat washer protects the surface being fastened. Star type lock washers should never be used with a flat washer as they are designed to dig into the fastener and the surface being fastened. I'm not trying to be a know it all, but I do have 30 years of experience as a mechanic/fabricator/welder for a large county fleet on my side.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:42 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Roadrash666
Split lock washers should always be used with a flat washer. The split washer acts as a spring that exerts force between the flat washer and the fastener. That's what keeps the fastener from backing off, and the flat washer protects the surface being fastened. Star type lock washers should never be used with a flat washer as they are designed to dig into the fastener and the surface being fastened. I'm not trying to be a know it all, but I do have 30 years of experience as a mechanic/fabricator/welder for a large county fleet on my side.
Then you probably know more about it than I do. Thanks. I read that you didn't use a flat washer because you want the lock washer to "bite" into the fastner and the surface. But having a ton more experience than I do I'll take your word for it. I have the chance to put them on when I reassemble them after flipping the lower perches.

Last edited by Black Betty; 02-27-2015 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Goddamn autocorrect
Old 02-27-2015, 08:11 PM
Roadrash666
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
BB and Lego Maniac thanks for the heads up on the Koni spring perches, as I'm considering going this route myself. All the experience in the world doesn't keep me from making mistakes once in a while, and those front springs are a PITA.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:16 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I got them removed, disassembled, reassembled correctly, and reinstalled. Now the drop is about perfect.

And my oh my is this setup much better as far as handling than the Tanabe they replaced. Ridesbetter. Cushions bumps and dips better. And damn sure corners better. It almost feels like a new car and I can hardly wait for a track day to explore the new limits. In limited test driving on public roads I haven't had the chance to even get close.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (03-04-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 08:33 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I got them removed, disassembled, reassembled correctly, and reinstalled. Now the drop is about perfect.

And my oh my is this setup much better as far as handling than the Tanabe they replaced. Ridesbetter. Cushions bumps and dips better. And damn sure corners better. It almost feels like a new car and I can hardly wait for a track day to explore the new limits. In limited test driving on public roads I haven't had the chance to even get close.
Glad to hear everything worked out

What settings did you start with?