So-So Sport Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:37 AM
vactor
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pad travel may just be your perception compared to other cars or even a feature built into the system for lazy and left foot brake dragging drivers. otherwise it would need to be bled. i think you will be used to it soon. they aren't designed to be super firm from the first millimeter high performance brakes . these are great brakes on a luxury performance car. think driveabiility and you will soon be able to modulate them with the best of any other brakes.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I am not getting this, the sport brakes work great for a DD car. Some of the best stock brakes I have ever had. The only time I have heard complaints was from when people tracked their cars. On the street though these brakes work very well. I would take your car to the dealership and have them look at it and make sure there isn't an issue.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:38 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally Posted by vactor
pad travel may just be your perception compared to other cars or even a feature built into the system for lazy and left foot brake dragging drivers. otherwise it would need to be bled. i think you will be used to it soon. they aren't designed to be super firm from the first millimeter high performance brakes . these are great brakes on a luxury performance car. think driveabiility and you will soon be able to modulate them with the best of any other brakes.
I don't think it's perception. We have '04 grand prix gt in the household that I drive at least every other week. You notice the brakes grabbing on that car immediately after you begin to apply them. There is no pedal travel prior to biting. A grand prix is no luxury car or high performance car by any stroke of the imagination. Just a daily driver sedan with nothing special about it.

I suppose this is one of those design elements built into the car (like the crappy 7AT). After driving the car for some time, i only notice it if i'm thinking about it. The joys of muscle memory
Old 02-21-2012, 10:27 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Well - still not sure they are the Akebono 14" 'Sport' brakes. Looking the Infiniti website, only the 'standard' 13" brakes are available on the Coupe X.

These: Aluminum 4-piston opposed front calipers with 14.0 x 1.3-inch ventilated discs/2-piston opposed rear calipers with 13.8 x 0.8-inch ventilated discs; 4-wheel, 4-channel ABS - are available only as a option (Sport pkg) on the Couple Journey.

Refer to: 2012 Infiniti G37 Coupe Specs and Options | Infiniti USA Official Site

Having said that - I happen to have both an G37S sedan and a 'regular' G37. The 'regular' brakes seem to have more initial 'bite'. Not sure why....but with only @300 miles on the G37S, I will withhold judgement until the 'brake-in' is completed...
Old 02-23-2012, 01:08 AM
Tonewheel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
Well - still not sure they are the Akebono 14" 'Sport' brakes. Looking the Infiniti website, only the 'standard' 13" brakes are available on the Coupe X.

These: Aluminum 4-piston opposed front calipers with 14.0 x 1.3-inch ventilated discs/2-piston opposed rear calipers with 13.8 x 0.8-inch ventilated discs; 4-wheel, 4-channel ABS - are available only as a option (Sport pkg) on the Couple Journey.

Refer to: 2012 Infiniti G37 Coupe Specs and Options | Infiniti USA Official Site

Having said that - I happen to have both an G37S sedan and a 'regular' G37. The 'regular' brakes seem to have more initial 'bite'. Not sure why....but with only @300 miles on the G37S, I will withhold judgement until the 'brake-in' is completed...
Nope. Was at the dealership picking up splash guards this afternoon. Spoke to the mechanic who's worked on my 3 previous Infinitis. He confirms that the 4 piston brakes on the G37XS are identical to those found on the 6MT.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:17 AM
san~man

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Hate to tell you, but your mechanic misinformed
Old 02-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Tonewheel

Originally Posted by MalbecG37S

And by going to the very same page you reference, above, click on PACKAGES & OPTIONS and read the specs for the available Sport Package for the G37X Coupe. Unless my old eyes are fooling me, it states:

"Sport brakes with 4-piston opposed front calipers with 14-inch rotors and 2-piston opposed rear calipers with 13.8-inch rotors."

Taking the car in on Monday for a once-over for the brakes.

Last edited by Tonewheel; 02-23-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:26 AM
jjasonSU

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by san~man
Hate to tell you, but your mechanic misinformed
Did you not see the posted?

Sport brakes feel great imo
Old 02-23-2012, 09:29 AM
Tonewheel

Silly argument taking place here...

This is a vid that I shot with my phone after I bought the car, which was on the showroom floor.

http://web.me.com/tonewheel/Infiniti
Old 02-23-2012, 03:03 PM
san~man

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I stand corrected, must be new for this MY
Old 02-23-2012, 09:44 PM
MalbecG37S

Originally Posted by Tonewheel
And by going to the very same page you reference, above, click on PACKAGES & OPTIONS and read the specs for the available Sport Package for the G37X Coupe. Unless my old eyes are fooling me, it states:

"Sport brakes with 4-piston opposed front calipers with 14-inch rotors and 2-piston opposed rear calipers with 13.8-inch rotors."

Taking the car in on Monday for a once-over for the brakes.
You are correct - the Pkgs and Opt page does state that. But on their front page, it shows them as 'not optional'. Hence my assumption that the Sport Pkg on the X didn't get the big brakes...

Doesn't matter - video shows the Akebono.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:49 PM
MalbecG37S

FYI - same brakes as on my 2012 Sedan - and for the first few hundred miles I felt the same as you. Then I did some hard stops on an open road - nothing too terrible, just controlled hard stops. They improved.

I must admit - the 'standard' brakes seem to have an earlier 'bite' - but the Sport brakes have more overall capability.

Good Luck - and let us know what the dealer tells you!

- John