brake squealing

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 05:00 PM
cervelo1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake squealing

so my brakes starting a small sqeal last week in my G37x and with only 21k miles I was annoyed. After my service they told me my breaks are perfectly fine and that this care has a history of this and nothing they can do. They said it was due to the type of metal they use and it being a high performance car. So essentially, I have to live with it. Is this accurate or is a dealership trying to blow me off?

thanks!
Old 02-11-2012, 05:17 PM
TommyGunz

I do not know much about this car yet, but it seems obvious they are trying to get rid of you. I say replace the pads. If the pads have 21k on them it cannot hurt to replace anyways.

Stupid dealerships.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
From a safety standpoint there may be nothing wrong. They should address your issue though regardless.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:11 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Have they checked for warped rotors and that the rotor wear is consistent? do you get any shuddering when braking slightly from highway speeds? Once they machined my rotors, which were indeed warped, no more brake squeal (going forward and braking or reversing and braking).
Old 02-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When do you get the noise? Under normal breaking, or just while backing up? Mine started to squeal pretty bad only when backing up after 20K miles or so. Horrible noise and really embarrassing. The dealer said the brakes were normal, and that they were "high performance". I asked why then was it only when I backed up? Didn't make any sense. I ended up fixing it by cleaning out the brake dust from the brake pads (including the slot in the middle), and around the caliper pistons. I then put brake grease on the backing plates and where the pistons hit the back of the pads, even though they don't recommend it. The problem is totally gone. I'm at 40K and still have the original front pads. I ended up replacing the rears even though I could have gone a lot further on them. Not exactly sure why those are wearing faster than the fronts.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:27 AM
cervelo1

Originally Posted by Silver37
When do you get the noise? Under normal breaking, or just while backing up? Mine started to squeal pretty bad only when backing up after 20K miles or so. Horrible noise and really embarrassing. The dealer said the brakes were normal, and that they were "high performance". I asked why then was it only when I backed up? Didn't make any sense. I ended up fixing it by cleaning out the brake dust from the brake pads (including the slot in the middle), and around the caliper pistons. I then put brake grease on the backing plates and where the pistons hit the back of the pads, even though they don't recommend it. The problem is totally gone. I'm at 40K and still have the original front pads. I ended up replacing the rears even though I could have gone a lot further on them. Not exactly sure why those are wearing faster than the fronts.
this is exactly what they said causes the problem, the brake dust and I was essentially told to deal with it. If this continues, I'll have the clean them.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:28 AM
cervelo1

Originally Posted by cereal2k
Have they checked for warped rotors and that the rotor wear is consistent? do you get any shuddering when braking slightly from highway speeds? Once they machined my rotors, which were indeed warped, no more brake squeal (going forward and braking or reversing and braking).
everything seems normal outside that noise but I will certainly ask them, thank you!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:29 AM
cervelo1

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
From a safety standpoint there may be nothing wrong. They should address your issue though regardless.
I totally agree
Old 02-12-2012, 10:17 AM
xtremeroller

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have 31K miles on my 08 and there is nothing wrong with mine. No squeal, shudder or anything like that.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cervelo1
this is exactly what they said causes the problem, the brake dust and I was essentially told to deal with it. If this continues, I'll have the clean them.
It will continue if it is like mine, so see if you can convince them to clean them out and re-grease the critical parts. It's too nice of a car to have it make that sort of noise. The brakes where exceptionally good on this car, so you should still have a lot to go on them unless you really drive aggressively. Good luck with it.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:10 AM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The OEM pads (on the journey, not the sports) are not that good except for initial braking response. They can also cause warped rotors which I experienced. I replaced the OEM rotors and the front pads with the Akenbonos at 50K.

I've been very happy for the last 10K (I am at 60K now). Brake feel/bite is good. No sign of warped rotors under same driving conditions. The only thing the OEM ones excel is the initial bite, I think.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:21 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I would politely keep at them until the noise issue is resolved.
If they are not 'warped' I would also suggest you get a can of brake cleaner and give them a shot. It might be a simple solution. Brake cleaner is handy stuff for the DIY'er to have around in any case. It can be used to clean grease/grime of all types of automotive parts...with caution.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:46 AM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
LOTS of people over in the coupe section have this problem, especially the S models.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...i-reverse.html
Old 04-16-2012, 09:32 PM
D_Nyholm

I hit 18K miles on my car and I noticed the rear brakes are starting to squeal slightly when you press them relatively hard at slower speeds. I looked at the amount of pad material left, and I would say there is about 1/8 of an inch which would seem pretty low to me. The fronts have about 1/4" left and I am pretty certain that the front brakes do about 75% of the braking on ALL cars. Seems strange to me that the rears would wear faster than the fronts.

I am pretty annoyed with the brakes on this car. The fronts are already warped from about 7K miles and I have never have a brake problem on any other car and know that I am pretty light on brakes. Our other car is a Mini Cooper with 80K miles and still on its first set of pads while people on the forums are replacing them at 40-60K.

Did Infiniti forget to put in cooling like they did with the 370z and just upsized the rotors and caliper to try to offset it? The Brembo brakes on my 2003 Infiniti Coupe were great, even on the track..