Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

Any reviews on KW Variant 1 coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 12:55 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Any reviews on KW Variant 1 coilovers

I see there are several people running KW V3 coilovers but not a lot (if any) have KW V1. Has anyone ever ridden on these and is there any input? Harsh or stiff ride?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:42 PM
SwissCheeseHead

anyone have any thoughts at least?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:03 PM
BlckObsdnG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seems like not too many people have experience with this setup, i too am interested in the V1's, i just ordered my rims but it'll take 3 months to come in , when they come in ill have the KW V1's as my choice of coilovers, ill give a review then.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
I've sold one G set thus far and he was very happy with them. Didn't beat him up on the daily drive to work, stainless steel housings have held up, and install wasn't bad. Been a really nice way to go for an every day street car.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Gville37

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
any more feedback from other premier/informed members of the G community on KW V1? I understand KW 3 being a great way to go but for DD, 2/3track days, and spirited back road driving would KW1 suffice?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:23 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Any updates on the install or Review??
Old 03-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Gville37

bump to top for us noobs.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I don't think anyone here has them. They are made by KW so expect high quality and functionality. They won't klunk or make noises like cheap coilovers. They won't rust and get the adjusters stuck. They won't leak. How can I know this without having them? I can't for certain. But I firmly believe that if they did any of that people would talk about it like they do other brands of lesser build quality. They are not adjustible so I'll presume they are a moderately comfortable ride and not cushy nor jarringly stiff. Most people who buy coils with adjustable damping never change the settings anyway after they're set the way they like. They're probably comparable with most other basic non adjustable damping coilover sets from quality brands like Tanabe, Tein, or Cusco, etc.

If adjustible damping isn't a big deal, save yourself about a grand and go for it. Let us know your thoughts. If you don't like them and wish you'd gotten the V3, sell them used and and take a couple hundred bucks loss and get the V3. You'll have gotten to find out exactly what they are like by auditioning them for only the price difference you'll lose by selling them slightly used.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Gville37

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I don't think anyone here has them. They are made by KW so expect high quality and functionality. They won't klunk or make noises like cheap coilovers. They won't rust and get the adjusters stuck. They won't leak. How can I know this without having them? I can't for certain. But I firmly believe that if they did any of that people would talk about it like they do other brands of lesser build quality. They are not adjustible so I'll presume they are a moderately comfortable ride and not cushy nor jarringly stiff. Most people who buy coils with adjustable damping never change the settings anyway after they're set the way they like. They're probably comparable with most other basic non adjustable damping coilover sets from quality brands like Tanabe, Tein, or Cusco, etc.

If adjustible damping isn't a big deal, save yourself about a grand and go for it. Let us know your thoughts. If you don't like them and wish you'd gotten the V3, sell them used and and take a couple hundred bucks loss and get the V3. You'll have gotten to find out exactly what they are like by auditioning them for only the price difference you'll lose by selling them slightly used.
thanks for the response black betty....personally it comes down to $...that extra bit could go to something different. I appreciate the honest response and hopefully I, as well as the others above, can make a rational decision on which suspension to pursue.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:43 PM
SwissCheeseHead

I think based on KWv3 reviews that the v1 is probably a safe bet. They are a little pricey compared to some other brands but again, it's the quality that you're paying for.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:13 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
One of my teammates will be installing these on his 35 coupe in a couple of weeks. I'll have him post up a review after he's driven on them a bit.

Last edited by soolman32; 03-03-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:33 PM
SwissCheeseHead

that would be awesome. I just bought some wheels and a camber kit. Just waiting for the right price on a good set of coils or maybe a springs now then koni yellows when my stock shocks die.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:05 PM
AceJack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really interested in this as well. I dont have the money to spend on the v3 and my car is my daily driver as well so I just want a quality drop on coilovers. Is adjusting the damping really a big deal?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:58 AM
XtatiC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thought I'd try to keep this thread alive in case anybody with V1 experience hasn't seen it yet...
Old 04-05-2012, 12:53 AM
MN-G-Fever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just had KW V1's installed on my G35 Coupe. After driving on them for about a week I couldn't be happier. My G is pretty much my daily driver in the summers here in MN, and the ride is the perfect balance of comfort with the ability to handle turns at higher speeds.

My current set up is 20" Vossen CV3's dropped about 2" with F&R SPC camber kit. The ride is obviously much stiffer than the sport suspemsion on the G35, but still has forgiveness with small to medium type bumps. it takes cornering well but still has minor body roll with the G being a heavier car. I will eventually get strut and sway bars to tighten her up.

I would recommend the V1's to anyone who wants to DD their G (but isn't looking for track use) and have the occassinal ride on twisties to get the most out of their G without sacrificing comfort. I couldn't be more satisfied with my purchase and see why KW has such a reputable brand

Quick Reply: Any reviews on KW Variant 1 coilovers