Question about strut tower bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Question about strut tower bars

Do they really work or are they just for looks? Would the money be better spent on a ladder brace for underneath?

Reason I'm asking is that a friend of mine that's into the whole SCC thing said they don't. He drives a GTI...I don't know if that matters.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2012, 06:33 PM
AllentownG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Matt,

See this thread: https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...explained.html

That should answer your question in more detail than I can provide.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by AllentownG37
Hey Matt,

See this thread: https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...explained.html

That should answer your question in more detail than I can provide.
Yep, great thread. The GT strut bar is DEF noticeable. Some other cars suspension may beg diff, but in our cars, all of the GT strut products add reinforcement. Wish the car came with it all!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Rad_Slinger

Thanks guys! But I read that thread before I posted this thread. It makes some good statements, but it was made by a vendor....and a vendor that has a less than stellar rep here (from what I'm understanding).

I was looking more from first hand expierence and statements about noticeable differences.

I did speak with my friend as stated above but. Also spoke with a vendor on this forum about it as well. They stated that the G chasis is stiff enough that there would be little to no difference, but did state that the ladder brace would be a good addition.

Just looking for some clarification in conflicting stories before I decide what braces to grab.

Last edited by Rad_Slinger; 01-22-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:10 PM
bat6wc

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattster
Thanks guys! But I read that thread before I posted this thread. It makes some good statements, but it was made by a vendor....and a vendor that has a less than stellar rep here (from what I'm understanding).

I was looking more from first hand expierence and statements about noticeable differences.

I did speak with my friend as stated above but. Also spoke with a vendor on this forum about it as well. They stated that the G chasis is stiff enough that there would be little to no difference, but did state that the ladder brace would be a good addition.

Just looking for some clarification in conflicting stories before I decide what braces to grab.
ive done a lot of driving with strut bars on and off the G. Ive had both the GT SPEC and the Circuit Sports/Alutec one peice bar. As I have stated over and over, these strut bars dont do much on our cars. They really should be the very last piece you do for suspension. That said, yes, they make a slight difference but really are for looks. In my opinion, the circuit sports/alutec bar is way better than the gt spec bar simply because of the one piece design. The hinges/joints on the GTSPEC bar causes weakness and flex and really negates the purpose of a strut bar all together. The bars are hinged simply for ease of install. You are going to hear a lot of back and forth on the forums bc of personal preference. Ive had other cars where the strut bar drastically improved steering and control but with the G, it only makes a barely noticeable difference. If you really want to tighten up the car, start with Hotchkis sways then add as much of the GT SPEC under bracing as possible. The M bar and Lat Tie bars made a HUGE difference.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Rad_Slinger

Thanks. This is what I was looking for. Already have the hotchkis sways.

I think I'm gonna hold off on the tower brace and work on the under braces first.

Thanks bat.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:12 PM
bat6wc

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
no problem. to each their own. everyone has their own preferences and driving style. all the bars will rub as well. I began hearing it from the cabin and became annoying. for those that care, I recommend this Alutech IG102 Aluminum Strut Tower Bar Infiniti G37 Coupe