SPC camber kit owners...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 01:02 AM
JEBperformance
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by frty9rsfn
I have nothing to lose and will try one of these places out... will call tomorrow... should i be hitting btw??? money is not an issue, just wanna get this done right.

I know that AMPLIFIED have def worked with G's, and wanted to find out if the kit was installed correctly... yup, ur right, it is all computer based...

Which of these two shops is better btw???
Make sure you call them tomorrow. They are both good. You will have to set up an appointment first. They are always fully booked, so go to either who can take you in sooner.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:03 AM
redrover23
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JEBperformance
IMO our car has very light steering. With Negative caster the steering will be even lighter which in turn loose directional stability.

If you like the car as it is right now. I say just keep em the way it has been. Because when you mess with caster, you will also have to mess with camber. And later alignment as well.

But if you want stiffer steering and better directional stability. I say instead of caster change. Consider GTSPEC FSTB. For the fraction of cost to mess with your alignment.
Thanks for the reply. I want to go from 26 7/8" floor to front fender apex to 26 1/2". I was wondering what my caster setting should be, my current alignment specs are:

Camber: -0.7(L), -0.8(R)
Caster: 4.9(L), 5.2(R)

I guess my question is: should I keep caster at 0 while dropping the front 3/8"? I don't wanna have the issues the OP is having (hitting) and want my alignment to support long tire life and performance. Hopefully any response will help the OP make a decision

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:25 AM
JEBperformance
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by redrover23
Thanks for the reply. I want to go from 26 7/8" floor to front fender apex to 26 1/2". I was wondering what my caster setting should be, my current alignment specs are:

Camber: -0.7(L), -0.8(R)
Caster: 4.9(L), 5.2(R)

I guess my question is: should I keep caster at 0 while dropping the front 3/8"? I don't wanna have the issues the OP is having (hitting) and want my alignment to support long tire life and performance. Hopefully any response will help the OP make a decision

Thanks in advance.
you guys are way ahead........

caster issue is just educated guess. until a proper mechanic gets feed back from the driver, visually inspects, and than ID's the source of problem. And proves by fixing the source resolves the issue. We are not able to conclude on anything.

My best advise is to goto proper shop. Whom with vast knowledge and experience. To start with. So we don't run into problem later.

My fender is 26" off the ground, and no issues. Evasive Motorsports did mine.

Last edited by JEBperformance; 11-11-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:15 AM
frty9rsfn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure you call them tomorrow. They are both good. You will have to set up an appointment first. They are always fully booked, so go to either who can take you in sooner.
awesome... will take care of that tomorrow... service calendar for one of them says 3 more... hoping that means they have 3 more available spots... lol... probably not... but yes, gonna go with whomever can take me in first... thanks for the recommendations btw...
Old 11-11-2011, 02:31 AM
frty9rsfn

you guys are way ahead........

caster issue is just educated guess. until a proper mechanic gets feed back from the driver, visually inspects, and than ID's the source of problem. And proves by fixing the source resolves the issue. We are not able to conclude on anything.

My best advise is to goto proper shop. Whom with vast knowledge and experience. To start with. So we don't run into problem later.

My fender is 26" off the ground, and no issues. Evasive Motorsports did mine.

Wow... looks great! def need to go to them...
Old 11-11-2011, 02:35 AM
frty9rsfn

here are pics... just for fun...This is with the SPC arms installed before my alignment...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...rsfn/G37-2.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...rsfn/G37-1.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...rsfn/G37-4.jpg
Old 11-11-2011, 09:51 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Perfect drop, looks great. Sure hope you're able to get your camber arm issue(s) fixed. BTW, my G is a sedan so the measurements I gave you won't really cross over to the Coupe I think
Old 11-11-2011, 12:02 PM
frty9rsfn

Originally Posted by blnewt
Perfect drop, looks great. Sure hope you're able to get your camber arm issue(s) fixed. BTW, my G is a sedan so the measurements I gave you won't really cross over to the Coupe I think
thanks bro! Changed height about 4 times to get it there... lol.. oh ok, not sure if they do either... going to give them a call right now and hope i can resolve this with them... Jebperfomance's coupe has the same drop in the front as i do and has no issues, so it can be done...
Old 11-11-2011, 12:09 PM
frty9rsfn

Originally Posted by blnewt
25.6" to fender lip
-1.3 camber
No problem w/ arm hitting fender, hit a big road dip w/ right tire and felt like I hit the bump stops , but not a metal on metal sound. Felt under the fender for any signs of contact and felt none.
B&G S2 Springs (for 07-08 G35, drops a 1/2" more on 37s)
the contact is not going to be to the actual fender. its going to be before the fender... so u will have to lift the car and take a look at the top behind the wheel... hard to reach the area with ur hand... i dont think u can reach th area with just ur hand... take another look just to be safe...
Old 11-11-2011, 08:17 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
the contact is not going to be to the actual fender. its going to be before the fender... so u will have to lift the car and take a look at the top behind the wheel... hard to reach the area with ur hand... i dont think u can reach th area with just ur hand... take another look just to be safe...
I threw a flood light up in there to look for any contact points and any areas where the top of the nut may have hit the wheel well area and luckily no contact
Old 11-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Mt.Fugi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the g35 arm and was hitting metal-2-metal but guess that is because i was at 24 1/4 raised it up currently sitting at 24 1/2 haven't heard metal contact since.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:34 PM
IPL CARBON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why is pcasey not having this issue if he is even lower than some of us??? dont understand... i mean, im glad that he isnt, dont get me wrong, but this is really pissing me off!! i had -2.0 camber and running -1.5 or -1.8 isnt so far off, might as well not have bought the fronts...
Ok just adding a question to all this lowering...I have a New2011 Journey Sport with Lrg Sport Brakes...I looked in to the IPL edition and found that it sits 1.0 lower in the front and .65 in the rear compared to mine still with the sport package suspension! I asked Matt at the dealership what is the difference he says the Upper and lower arms are made for lower stance and just put in a different lowering spring and minor camber kit and I'll get a better stiffer stance with out butterflying any thoughts???
Old 11-11-2011, 11:42 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
My customer SPC's and lowered on KW V-3

26.25" from ground to fender
-1.5 SPC camber

Well good news is that Adjustable Ball Joint is strong enough for all the banging. However inner rubber bushings are not. I have taken several pictures to show you that inner rubber bushings (SPC Part # 60009414) joints will fail if constant tracking, pot holes, and banging were on going for three years. Pictures of result below.

I WOULD LIKE TO ADD. THIS IS NOT IN FAULT OF SPC. SPC MAKES HEAVY DUTY PARTS FOR ALL VEHICLE APPLICATION. HOWEVER DUE IN PART OUR CARS ARE LOWERED. PLUS FENDER NOT BEING DESIGNED FOR NEW HEIGHT SPECIFICATIONS. PRODUCE RESULTS LIKE THE ABOVE.

IMO FACT THAT OUTER ADJUSTABLE BALL JOINTS WHICH IS FIRST IN LINE TO GET MOST OF THE IMPACT. TO HAVE BEEN INTACT. WHICH IF UPON FAILURE OR UPON BECOMING LOOSE. WILL PRODUCE VERY VERY SERIOUS ACCIDENT. INNER RUBBER JOINTS EVEN WITH FAILURE, WILL NOT BE MAJOR SAFETY ISSUES. NOT THAT I RECOMMEND DRIVING WITH BROKEN INNER JOINTS. FOR THIS AND MANY OTHER REASONS I GIVE +100 TO SPC.

IN COSMETICS - PERFORMANCE. THERE ARE CONSEQUENCES. JUST LIKE PLASTIC SURGERY SOME OF US UNDER GO.

I had that problem after 5K miles, SPC warrantied the arms.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:45 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Either +1 positive or -1 negative will tilt the Steering knuckle slightly. Giving more clearance.

Make sure to ask your current caster setting. Before doing any changes.

I strongly advise following performance shops.

Evasive Motorsports
or
Westend Alignment

Tell them JEB sent you, for further discount. I would not trust any other shops around Southern California.

Once we lower our cars. OEM setting which are per-programmed into alignment software does not work. So Data and Spec are crucial. These data are only kept @ Shops which specializes in dropped vehicles.

Alignment shops vast majority does not have understanding even on how suspension works. Mechanics are robots who perform whatever computer tells them to.

FYI Amplified does not perform alignment. Performing Installation VS Proper Setup and alignment should not mix.
Temple City Auto Repair.
Im an old brake and front end tech, and Henry there is awesome.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:59 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Alright, it appeared and felt as if i had the front camber kit installed incorrectly so I took my car to LOU from AMPLIFIED MOTORSPORT and got it on the lift. He said that it was all done CORRECTLY!!! (he knows the G well, inside and out)

Back to SPC, whenever there is a big bump, the arm hits the bottom of the fender. Im 26 inches from the ground to fender as well. So i am thinking in getting some negative camber back in so that i can help with some clearance. Will try going from -0.5 to -1.2 on the fronts to help and allow for clearance.

Called Eibach and they said it was the correct kit. Eibach and SPC as we all know, is the same kit.

I have PM some SPC kit owners and they too have this issue as well. ISSUE WITH THE FRONT AND REVISED KIT...

So we can maybe use this thread to help those, like myself, get through this issue by mentioning the following....

1. how low you are from the ground to the fender
2. what degree of camber you are currently on
3. does #1 and #2 allow for enough clearance so that the camber arm does not hit the fender.
4. What suspension are u on (might help as well)

This can help those make adjustment for the most camber near specs at a specific height without striking the fender. I couldnt find anything that specific to help get as most camber to spec as possible without hitting the fender. I will start doing little changes to the camber then height changes to eventually get enough clearance.

Hope we get something started that is exremely important for our G's. Ill start.......

1. raised to 26 inches from the ground to fender
2. alignment brought me to -0.6 degree for camber
3. at these specs, im still hitting the fender
4. on tein flex

I hope all SPC owners shine in and give their input!!!

frty9rsfn
German
Im at 26 1/4 on Eibachs, and -0.5 degrees camber. Does not hit.

Caster is 5.0 on the left and 5.3 degrees on the right.
The extra .3 on caster is to make up for road crowns. Thus no pulling to the right on crowned streets.

Quick Reply: SPC camber kit owners...