Help Coilover Adjustments (BC Racing)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 02:57 AM
OMG35S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Coilover Adjustments (BC Racing)

I got my coilovers installed and I'm looking to adjust them and I want to make sure I'm doing it the right way.

My rear is pretty slammed with the fender tucking over the tire while there's about a 1/2" gap in the front. I'm looking to raise the rear.

Adjusting the Front:
Rather easy and straight forward.

HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT

Loosen the lower lock ring. Using the spanner wrenches that comes with the kit, turn the upper spring seat (2a) counter clock-wise (right to left) to lower or the lower lock ring (2b) clock-wise (left to right) to raise the vehicle. Tighten lower lock ring.

Adjusting the Rear:
More complicated than the front.

Strut
Loosen collar on strut. Turn strut by hand. Turn cartridge right to raise, left to lower. Tighten Strut Collar.

Spring Perch
Loosen top collar, bring it to the top. Then, with the lower collar you turn it down (clockwise?) to raise your car and up to lower (counter-clockwise?) your car.

Is this correct?
At what point will I need to pre-load the rear spring again?
Is there any way of knowing how much my car will drop by turning the threads in the lower strut/spring perch?
Say I want to raise my rear 1/2" how many turns should I turn the strut and spring perch?
Do I turn the strut and spring perch the same exact amount of turns? (I will put a piece of tape or post-it to record how many turns I've done.

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
At what point will I need to pre-load the rear spring again? Not sure what you mean

Is there any way of knowing how much my car will drop by turning the threads in the lower strut/spring perch? It will raise or lower however many inches you create by turning the spring/strut

Say I want to raise my rear 1/2" how many turns should I turn the strut and spring perch? Measure it, mark it and turn it that far.

Do I turn the strut and spring perch the same exact amount of turns? (I will put a piece of tape or post-it to record how many turns I've done. You will want to keep them as close as possible. You can do that by counting the turns or marking it by length.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:56 PM
OMG35S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response Kidcane!

What I mean about to the pre-load of the rear spring is:

Say I raised the car about 1" in the rear through turning the spring perch and strut. Doesn't this tighten the rear spring causing a greater pre-load than what is needed? Hence, squeezing the spring more than need be? Can this cause more bounce and a harsher ride?

Here are pictures and my current set-up with measurements in the rear:

As you can see here: there is a little gap near the hole where you can see threading of the strut. Right underneath the BR logo on the strut.
Name:  IMG_20110918_134236.jpg
Views: 2997
Size:  99.8 KB

Here are the measurements of the rear:

Top of threading taken from the top of the metal piece right above the threading all the way down to the top of the lock ring of the strut. 9 inches:
Name:  IMG_20110918_135419.jpg
Views: 2725
Size:  89.6 KB
Name:  IMG_20110918_135424.jpg
Views: 2902
Size:  91.8 KB

Spring perch measurements: taken from the top of the inside of the spring perch (black plastic piece) down to the lowest part of the lower adjustment ring. - 2 1/8" inches

Name:  IMG_20110918_135445.jpg
Views: 3634
Size:  89.3 KB

Does this look right? I'm still not sure if I have to redo the pre-loading aspect of the rear spring?

I'm going to be raising the rear once more because it's not 100% even with the front.

Thanks! and hopefully everyone will know how to adjust the coilovers on their cars. It's a little time consuming but it's rather easy and simple.

Last edited by OMG35S; 09-18-2011 at 04:25 PM.