swaybars, oversteer, understeer questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 02:58 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Aftermarket sway bars will drastically improve your handling over stock. Period. Stiffer sway in front induces understeer. Stiffer sway in the rear induces oversteer. It's that simple. Buy both front and rear sway bars. Adjust the rear one stiffer or less stiff to your liking to amke it handle how you want. It's pretty simple.
Understood. But for the sake for argument, wouldn't stiffer front and stiffer rear cancel each other out and leave you back where you started, but with less body roll? I know it's customary for everyone to get both. But my original question was, given the logic of the front and rear sways and their effects, wouldn't it make sense to just get stiffer rears if I want to induce more oversteer to counter the natural understeer of the car?
Old 09-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
NO. I explained it as best I could. If you don't trust what I'm telling you from the experience of having them, so be it. One more time. The rear on almost every set is adjustable (as well as the front on some sets). Therefore you can make it (the rear sway) more or less stiff in relation to the front; adjusting the oversteer/understeer balance. And you will drastically reduce body roll by stiffening both proportionally. Buy both sways. Adjust the rear stiffness to your driving style. Handle better.

Or don't.

Last edited by Black Betty; 09-16-2011 at 04:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Itchytoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think what you are experiencing is the AWD vs RWD difference. I don't think you will ever be able to get the G to feel like the Audi. You might be able to get it closer than what you have now with a couple of sway bars and some coilovers, but it won't feel the same.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:24 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Itchytoe
I think what you are experiencing is the AWD vs RWD difference. I don't think you will ever be able to get the G to feel like the Audi. You might be able to get it closer than what you have now with a couple of sway bars and some coilovers, but it won't feel the same.
i'm thinking the same. in fact, comparing to Audi in general, not just AWD. i had an A3 with FWD previously and it was way better than the G. Thanks for all your help.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:56 PM
AllentownG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Itchytoe
I would think that's presuming too much, but I could be wrong. Typically, they're just thicker bars than OEM bent into the same shape. It would take a lot of trial and error to figure out how to get the vehicle truly neutral and not everyone wants neutral handling.

I would try tight in the rear and loose in the front and see what happens. Then adjust accordingly. In the end, it's all about how the car feels to you. What I like may not be what you like.
Thanks again Itchy. The question was purely academic, as I'm very pleased with the settings I chose on my Hotchkis sways. I was just looking for a better understanding and you were able to provide that with your answers.