Help BC Coilovers Settings

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 07:05 PM
OMG35S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question BC Coilovers Settings

I'm looking to install my BC Coilovers soon and I was wondering what settings to use.

I was advised to go with 15 for dampening, which I believe is the middle setting.

What height/dampening settings are you guys running? I don't want to install them and then have to readjust them!

I'll also be installing my Strut Bar & Sway Bars at the same time!

Thanks!

Installation prices and suggestions are also appreciated. How much did you guys pay to install them?
Old 07-03-2011, 07:21 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
This is really very subjective. 15 is a good start, but be prepared for a little breaking in "roughness" which will go away after a couple hundred miles.

If you have a lot of smooth roads, that'll work. Otherwise, soften it a little bit more. I initially had 15 all-around but adjusted towards softer settings after a couple of weeks, can't recall the #'s though, it's been a while.

p.s. Installed and adjusted myself, but expect to pay anywhere from $260 - $450 depending on installer and location, plus alignment.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:30 PM
OMG35S

Roads here in NYC are a bit harsh... I guess maybe 13?... I don't track my car but I've been wanting to go... I want something that would be good for the track + daily driving.. I guess I'll start at 13-15 and then adjust them from there..

Thanks for the info..

Feedback and suggestions are appreciated

Edit:

Height - 1 finger gap all around?
Dampening - 13-15 all around?

I have a rear camber kit as well but I've heard from many people that all they needed was the actual arms. Are the toe bolts not needed? I'd rather not enlarge and drill-out the stock holes if I don't have to.

Last edited by OMG35S; 07-03-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Bong1012

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OMG35S
Roads here in NYC are a bit harsh... I guess maybe 13?... I don't track my car but I've been wanting to go... I want something that would be good for the track + daily driving.. I guess I'll start at 13-15 and then adjust them from there..

Thanks for the info..

Feedback and suggestions are appreciated
I live in Toronto, Canada and the roads here are pretty bad. Especially downtown where I work.
My G is daily driven. I have the BC coilovers (BR model I think?) for just over a year now and ran into no issues as of yet. Best bang for the buck.
I also have GTspec strut tower bar and Hotchkis swaybars.
My dampening setting was originally set high like 12 and 15. But I noticed that these models are built more towards comfort and softness. So when I went over bumps and dips over the crappy Toronto roads I would scrape/rub.
My dampening settings now are set at 8 notches towards SOFT for fronts (to prevent dipping too low when going into bumps/dips) and 10 notches towards SOFT in the rear.
Best of both worlds I guess. Comfort for ride and stiff enough for handling and avoid scrapping/rubbing.
I was told not to set them at 0 (max HARD), due to the risk of blowing the shocks over hard impact.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:57 PM
soundmike

I don't actually recall the #'s, but it's definitely softer than 15 clicks... 12 or 13 maybe (on the soft side). The car has also been tracked a couple of times, could use some stiffening up, but it still works better than the OEM set-up.

As for height, mine is dropped approximately the same as Eibach's and have had no unusual camber-related wear on tires. I do rotate them religiously from front-rear and left-right. No aftermarket camber/toe kits, toe is within spec, camber just slightly off.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Mr.quickstrike

ive got mine at 12 all round in brooklyn ny streets and its worked for me
Old 07-04-2011, 03:52 PM
OMG35S

Originally Posted by Bong1012
I live in Toronto, Canada and the roads here are pretty bad. Especially downtown where I work.
My G is daily driven. I have the BC coilovers (BR model I think?) for just over a year now and ran into no issues as of yet. Best bang for the buck.
I also have GTspec strut tower bar and Hotchkis swaybars.
My dampening setting was originally set high like 12 and 15. But I noticed that these models are built more towards comfort and softness. So when I went over bumps and dips over the crappy Toronto roads I would scrape/rub.
My dampening settings now are set at 8 notches towards SOFT for fronts (to prevent dipping too low when going into bumps/dips) and 10 notches towards SOFT in the rear.
Best of both worlds I guess. Comfort for ride and stiff enough for handling and avoid scrapping/rubbing.
I was told not to set them at 0 (max HARD), due to the risk of blowing the shocks over hard impact.
Thanks for the information.. I'll be running a very similar set-up. BC Racing Coilovers, Hotchkis Sways and GT Spec Strut Bar..

You have your sways in the middle setting right?

Originally Posted by soundmike
I don't actually recall the #'s, but it's definitely softer than 15 clicks... 12 or 13 maybe (on the soft side). The car has also been tracked a couple of times, could use some stiffening up, but it still works better than the OEM set-up.

As for height, mine is dropped approximately the same as Eibach's and have had no unusual camber-related wear on tires. I do rotate them religiously from front-rear and left-right. No aftermarket camber/toe kits, toe is within spec, camber just slightly off.
Thanks for the information! I'm not 100% on how low the Eibach's drop. Can you give me an approximation? 1 inch gap between the tire and fender on all four corners? I think I'm going to just install the camber arms and leave it up to the mechanic to adjust the toe with factory bolts.

Originally Posted by Mr.quickstrike
ive got mine at 12 all round in brooklyn ny streets and its worked for me
Thanks! I think I'm going to set them at 12-13 (Soft-Side)
Old 07-04-2011, 05:09 PM
soundmike

Originally Posted by OMG35S
Thanks for the information! I'm not 100% on how low the Eibach's drop. Can you give me an approximation? 1 inch gap between the tire and fender on all four corners? I think I'm going to just install the camber arms and leave it up to the mechanic to adjust the toe with factory bolts.
Probably 26.5 from ground to fender? (somewhere there), although i also run somewhat oversized tires which aren't completely flushed, so the finger measurement method probably won't help you much.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:17 AM
OMG35S

Anyone else care to help out about the ride height?

I'd rather set it once and not have to adjust them again. I'm assuming it'll settle and drop a little more. Anyone know roughly how much more it drops once it settles?

I'm trying to figure out the perfect drop for NY streets.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Shouldnt drop more than .25-.5" after settling.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:31 PM
gimpy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
Probably 26.5 from ground to fender? (somewhere there), although i also run somewhat oversized tires which aren't completely flushed, so the finger measurement method probably won't help you much.

I just got a look at your ride and I really like your wheels. Can you tell me what make your wheels are and also their size and tire size. They look quite nice in that picture.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:29 AM
soundmike

^ Thanks. They're Enkei RP03, 18x9.5 +38 wrapped in Hankook V12 255/45's.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:07 AM
INFINITGEE

Im riding all way on the "hard" setting. Ride sucks compared to stock but I feel better on slip outs and corners. Not sure if you guys get too aggressive but you can always adjust the dials. Worry more about height the first time around.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:27 AM
Chomponthis
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great post. definitely helped me out.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:09 PM
_ant_

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Right now im on 28 in the rear but since I modded the bumper bracke and I dont rub anymore I'll be softening it this weekend. Maybe 15-18.

Quick Reply: Help BC Coilovers Settings