Help Tanabe Sustec Pro - Strut gone bad 8k Miles??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 03:08 AM
911turbo
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Tanabe Sustec Pro - Strut gone bad 8k Miles??

Hey everyone,

I had my coilovers installed about 5 or 6 months ago. Me and my friends installed all 4. I have SPC front and rear camber kit. The NEW one i believe. 113 i forgot the rest of the part number.

Problem - My front driver side suspension, I dont know where, but it makes a popping / knocking sound when i go over fast dips. Say sometimes coming down a driveway with the wheel cut to the left or right, once the driver side drops down it makes the pop / knock sound.

I brought it to a shop (delta world tire) he drove my car and said it might be the strut gone bad??

I ordered these from THMotorsports a while back. And I called them i think rob was his name, He said he doesnt deal with warranties etc. And he gave me tanabe usa's number. I called them and they told me I had to call the person who i got it from. I called back and Rob + tanabe usa told me I had to take off my front coilover send it in.. and leave my car out of commission until they resolve the problem if its the coil?

The guy I spoke to at tanabe said thats all they can do supposidly. Kinda junk warranty policy.

-Yesterday I jacked up my car to check the front driver side suspension and as I was raising it the suspension make a SLIGHT 1 or 2 pop noise sort of as the coilover started going up..

side notes -
1. We had the shop drill in the top bolts on the struts in the engine bay
2. None of the other coils / springs / struts make any kind of noise
3. I am not extremely low. My passenger side front is higher than my drivers front, and it is not making a popping / knock noise.

Here is how much I am dropped

Does anyone have any idea????

Help would me greatly appreciated.

John
Old 06-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
If you've double checked everything related to installation and you're sure all as it should be and torqued correctly, then take off the strut and send it in. How do you expect them to repair or replace an item that they haven't been able to check for defects?

I'd make sure it's not something else making the noise before going through all that trouble for nothing though. Did you check lubrication of sway bar bushings on that side?
Old 06-18-2011, 02:37 PM
911turbo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
If you've double checked everything related to installation and you're sure all as it should be and torqued correctly, then take off the strut and send it in. How do you expect them to repair or replace an item that they haven't been able to check for defects?

I'd make sure it's not something else making the noise before going through all that trouble for nothing though. Did you check lubrication of sway bar bushings on that side?
We have looked at it, checked a few of the bolts etc.
I know some companies will ATLEAST cover the shipping charges etc, and or send in a replacement to swap out to send in.

The lubrication of the sway bars?? more info on that please
Old 06-18-2011, 03:59 PM
A_Palaroan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
your car looks good hope you get the coilover problem resolved
Old 06-18-2011, 05:59 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
I just recently had issues with creaks and some other odd sounds coming from under the car. Turned out it was the 6-pt brace and extremely dried out lube on the rear sway bars.

Try lubing up front and rear sway bar bushings first, then check the condition of your endlinks as well. It looks like you still have the OEM sways, so there's a *very* good chance they're dried out or have very little lube left.

Here's my diy for installing the Eibach's, some of the photos will show you exactly what part to add grease to.

gshack » G35/G37 Eibach Front Sway Bar (Two-Way Adjustable)
Old 06-20-2011, 02:18 PM
G_rev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. We had the shop drill in the top bolts on the struts in the engine bay
Wait... what does this mean? You drilled into the coilover itself??
Old 06-20-2011, 02:21 PM
InspiredMan

How does THM not deal with warranty? That's kind of a BS way of dishing out customer service, they'll sell the part but won't help you out with a warranty situation?

But like other people are saying, check that everything is torque'd properly and lubed. Do you see oil leaking from the damper? that's an indication of a blown damper.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Did you double check the end links? Those are usually where the problem exists.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:38 PM
qpham45

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I am having the same issue with them both Amplified and tanabe. I took my coilovers to my mechanic to have them install it. Let me tell you that they have installed at least 100+ sets of coilovers. I drove them for about 3 weeks and both my fronts blew but not my rear. I called and spoke with both of them and Amplified gave me tanabe's number to call and send my coilovers to them and that they dont deal with warrenties. So I called tanabe and they told me to call Amplified and send it to them. So now I'm like WTF!!! Tanabe tells me that there is a special way to install them with special tools or they will blow....really? Evidently they must think people are really that stupid. So I took it back to my mechanic and he tested them and said that yeah they blew. If it was a bad install wouldn't it blow right away and not 3 weeks later? And why did just the front blow and not the rear? i think over 100 coilover sets that my mechanic installed he'd know how to install them. He couldn't believe that they blew either. No wonder he said tanabe coilovers were trash! I should have just listened to him and bought KW. Now i am stuck with a set of coilovers with the front struts blown that's sitting in my garage.

And no, its not the end links. I replaced them with brand new ones when I installed the coilovers. I'm sitting on 370z sport springs with stock struts right now and they drive great.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:11 PM
InspiredMan

practice doesn't mean perfect, perfect practice means perfect. Just because someone installs coilovers a lot of times doesn't mean they're doing it right.

I've heard of shops using vise grips(to hold the shaft while tightening the top mount) and then an air gun to tighten everything down. That's a big no no for coilovers isn't it? the vise grip can put gashes and pits and wear out the seals and the air guns can damage the internals. This isn't just for Tanabe but for any coilover.

Two people have said that Tanabe said to contact the dealer that they were purchased through, maybe that's their warranty procedure to make sure people aren't trying to warranty second hand or used stuff stuff.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:27 PM
911turbo
Registered Member

im really hoping something messed up with the install but IDK, I HOPE its not a blown strut, I'll be pretty upset that it blew in just a half years worth of use... when the manual said "better than genuine" lol..

THe knock is only there over fast dips or bumps.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:36 AM
qpham45

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 911turbo
im really hoping something messed up with the install but IDK, I HOPE its not a blown strut, I'll be pretty upset that it blew in just a half years worth of use... when the manual said "better than genuine" lol..

THe knock is only there over fast dips or bumps.

That's what mine sounded like. At first I thought it was just my sway bar links. But then I got it checked and found out it wasn't. I'd go check to see if the struts have gone bad. I sure hope not though. I wouldn't want another person to go through what I went through with them.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:11 AM
eman76b2001

Ever find a resolution? I have tanabe sustec pro as well and I am worried about having issues.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:06 PM
InspiredMan

I wonder if something like this has anything to do with the situation. As long as everything was installed properly, you should be fine.

How to tighten a top mount on a coilover | More Japan Blog
Old 09-14-2011, 07:16 PM
G_rev

have you guys seen these tips from KYB? Pretty good video to watch before installing suspension.

Video | 7 Great Installation Tips

Quick Reply: Help Tanabe Sustec Pro - Strut gone bad 8k Miles??