yep I got my car done from dealership!
no more shake when braking
my car is smooth now
thank god it was in tsb
Thanks guys!!!
Old 05-12-2011, 02:29 PM
knishtix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the same at about 9K miles, shaking like crazy when breaking.They resurfaced my rotors then. NO new pads! I was upset at the time but it DID fix the problem.Now at 15K and it is starting again.I want to take it in but am afraid they will say that i need to pay to replace the pads and/or rotors.Does anyone think they have the right to say that? or will they do a correct job this time and resurface rotors and change pads under warranty cuz of the TSB?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:32 PM
ice_angels7

had the same problem, it was may front break rotors, first I re-surface them, that got rid of the problem, but I thought drilled rotors look better, so I changed them. Now my G looks better and breaks ways better.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:45 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

warped rotors + ABS = TREMENDOUS SHAKING with brakes applied, or when pads randomly contact the warped rotors.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:55 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ice_angels7
had the same problem, it was may front break rotors, first I re-surface them, that got rid of the problem, but I thought drilled rotors look better, so I changed them. Now my G looks better and breaks ways better.
i never drove your car... but if you only replaced the rotors, and not the calipers & high performance pads... i highly doubt your car actually brakes better to feel the difference just because they are drilled. Drill and slotted rotors are 25-30+ year old technology to release out gases from asbestos brake pads. Guess what; asbestos bases pads have not been used in 40 years, so no need for holes. but since they look 'high performance' - the general car enthusiast wants them! even F1 carts dont use them.

PS: watch for cracks. check out this AMG brembo rotor i have with hairline cracks
its now my monitor stand.
cross-drilled are known to crack early and easily.

Last edited by ImStricken; 06-03-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:15 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ImStricken
i never drove your car... but if you only replaced the rotors, and not the calipers & high performance pads... i highly doubt your car actually brakes better to feel the difference just because they are drilled. Drill and slotted rotors are 25-30+ year old technology to release out gases from asbestos brake pads. Guess what; asbestos bases pads have not been used in 40 years, so no need for holes. but since they look 'high performance' - the general car enthusiast wants them! even F1 carts dont use them.

And dont forget the most important aspect, they chew up pads at a
voracious pace!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:15 PM
ice_angels7

MMMM I didn't know that!!! so, how soon can you see this effect on the rotors??
Old 06-08-2011, 10:39 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ice_angels7
MMMM I didn't know that!!! so, how soon can you see this effect on the rotors??
depends how you drive. just gotta keep checking them all the time.
total pain in the anus, and on top of it they wear your pads faster,
and give no real performance at all.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Kirkules

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gotta disagree to a point here. I have used cryogenically treated (frozen) slotted rotors on my last 4 vehicles. Braking does improve, and they do not use pads any faster than a solid rotor. In fact after the swap both rotors and pads started lasting longer, much longer. And it's not just asbestos that off gasses when heated - today's materials do too. Mostly though slots help keep the rotors cooler. I won't run crossdrilled due to the cracking, but every rotor I change on my family's vehicles will be cryo & slotted.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:30 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kirkules
Gotta disagree to a point here. they do not use pads any faster than a solid rotor.
lets do a simple experiment.

take a slotted rotor: take your pointer finger and rub against the rotor hitting a slot, back & forth about 100times.
(rub left to right)

now take a solid rotor, and conduct the same test.

let me know which one wears down your skin first.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:41 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Kirkules
Gotta disagree to a point here. I have used cryogenically treated (frozen) slotted rotors on my last 4 vehicles. Braking does improve, and they do not use pads any faster than a solid rotor. In fact after the swap both rotors and pads started lasting longer, much longer. And it's not just asbestos that off gasses when heated - today's materials do too. Mostly though slots help keep the rotors cooler. I won't run crossdrilled due to the cracking, but every rotor I change on my family's vehicles will be cryo & slotted.
Kirk -
It is more about the effects of the cryogenic process than the slots. If you use a solid rotor and cryo treat it, you will notice similar (if not better) improvements & the pads will last longer without the unnecessary abrasion due to the slotting.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Kirkules

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ImStricken -
"...take a slotted rotor: take your pointer finger and rub against the rotor hitting a slot, back & forth about 100times. (rub left to right)
now take a solid rotor, and conduct the same test. let me know which one wears down your skin first. "

If your brake pads were pushed down into the slots with each pass this test would be accurate, mine don't, they ride over the slots. Perhaps the decrease in heat I'm seeing is offsetting anything you may see as getting shaved off. I'm talking street use too, if that makes a difference.

bschurr - I never tried solid cryo rotors. You may be right. I do know that each time I made the switch pad life increased from the stock rotor. And I never had to change the rotor again.

Last edited by Kirkules; 06-13-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:36 PM
myg37journyspor

What are some good cross drilled rotors for the money? I guess you just need them for the fronts; I have a 2008 G37S coupe. What kind of $$ am I looking at?
thanks