Bc racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Lowering the height of the car and reducing roll doesnt improve the handling? Please explain.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidcane
Lowering the height of the car and reducing roll doesnt improve the handling? Please explain.
Unfortunately, it's not that simple

Lowering the car alters the entire car's suspension geometry. You may lower cG a tad, but now you've lowered your roll center slightly, and significantly increased your roll couple. Additionally, you've probably eliminated most or all of the negative camber gain from suspension compression, and lost some of your compression range.

You know how you get camber when you drop the car? That also happens under compression, but a lowered car can't get that extra camber, so you have to run more static camber, which most people will not. Increased roll couple will hurt weight transfer when changing lateral G directions.

Same goes for spring rate. Higher isn't better. High spring rate is like having static camber. Shocks will add to the net spring rate, similar to how body roll/suspension compression will add to the net camber of the car. You only want as much as you need, and no more.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:13 PM
RhiNoKiLL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ so are you saying that getting BC coils for an X will not improve handling?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:15 PM
platinumg35x

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
Thanks for the confirmation! I wonder if they'll let me swap my 230's with those 255's. What's the spring rate on those?
They're 8k.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:34 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
I still use stock suspension on my track car, because there is no performance gain to be had unless I'm willing to shell out 4k+. This debate happens daily elsewhere
The S2k, isn't it? You have to admit, you're comparing your go-kart to a whale of a G.

Thanks for the explanation, it seems you're mostly referring to the ideas behind it and not necessarily singling out BC in this case (or as your previous post led me to believe).

Your succeeding posts are as clear-cut as they get, but i do have to argue a little that the suspension tweak has helped this car, and this driver, in a positive way.

Plat, thanks for the confirmation!
Old 04-01-2011, 05:45 PM
OMG35S

I always thought coilovers were better than most OEM suspensions. Don't all GT cars run on coilovers? Ofcourse they aren't comparable to BC but I thought due to the lower center of gravity and adjustability coilovers would overcome OEM suspension...

If there isn't any increase in the handling department than why do many enthusiasts go with coilovers? Springs will easily drop the gaps on most cars.

I'm basically looking for a good suspension that will improve handling on the street. If I find the time I may go to a track for fun. Our Gs look much better with a drop. Handling wise, am I better off installing springs than going with coilovers?

I'm really confused now. All this time I was thinking that decent coilovers would improve handling on our cars. What's your input on sway bars? I do believe that tires are crucial when it comes to handling.

Thanks for the input and more feedback is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by OMG35S; 04-01-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:06 PM
soundmike

If you really want to justify this modification somehow... spring+dampers or CO's. The way i look at it, the price and ease of installation of the BC's in particular is a stone throws away from how much springs+dampers will set you back, plus you get adjustability to boot.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:18 AM
Mike

One of the most common things you see at the track with novices, is raising their ride height..

Simply put, the BC's may marginally improve performance, but most of it is psychological.

The best spring/shock combo money can buy results in less than a 2 second difference at a 2 minute track on my s2k. All coils with a retail of less than 2k have already been proven to reduce performance, or at best, be equivalent to stock. (not applicable to this car, but if you look at s2k coilovers, you'll notice that as you get more expensive coilovers, the range you can 'drop' the car tends to drop.)

GT cars run on a spring/shock combo which share little with off-the-shelf coilovers.

Sway bars alter lateral weight transfer from front to rear or rear to front, depending on what you stiffen up. If you stiffen up all around, then effectively did almost nothing. Stiffening the front would decrease front roll, and increase rear roll, and vice versa. This typically why you see a lot of cars lift a rear tire at autocross; they want maximum turning grip, so they run a SUPER stiff front bar and the stock rear (possibly even disconnected).
The following users liked this post:
NightMarauder (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2011, 12:59 PM
RhiNoKiLL

^ interesting!

So lets talk about street driving/non track driving. Will i be able to take on ramps/turns faster and corner better than OEM? Cause right now I have a lot of body roll and all.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
So since this is a G37 forum and not an S2K forum Mike, do you have some specific insight on which coilovers for the G are proven to reduce performance and which ones improve it at the track? For spirited street driving?
Old 04-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Mike, at times i think you know TOO much for us plebians
Old 04-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Gazan37
Banned

I agree with what mike is saying. Also keep in mind that on the street you have bumps and rough surfaces that a stiff car will very readily lose traction on, so in most scenarios a softer ride actually allows your tires better contact with the road.

Question to mike regarding sway bars. Won't the stiffer front end cause understeer? or is that just a myth?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:44 AM
Mike

Originally Posted by Black Betty
So since this is a G37 forum and not an S2K forum Mike, do you have some specific insight on which coilovers for the G are proven to reduce performance and which ones improve it at the track? For spirited street driving?
Generally, anything that is a "value" coilover won't improve performance, if at all.

If it were my money, I'd buy KW V3s, if I were looking for a value coilover. All the rest are junk IMO (BC, K-sport, etc.). I'll even go as far as saying that most of the JDM stuff isn't good, simply because the JDM coils are tuned for Japanese roads and tracks.

If you want some REALLY good suspension, find a local shop that services shocks for autocrossers. Tell them what you want, get custom valved Bilsteins or Konis, have the shop pair em with springs, and you'll have a serious upgrade for under $2000.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:04 AM
soundmike

Originally Posted by Mike
All the rest are junk IMO (BC, K-sport, etc.).
What exactly about these that makes them junk?
Old 04-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by soundmike
What exactly about these that makes them junk?
hysteresis, lack of actual damping control, non-linear adjustments, lack of actual low speed adjustment

I can go on and on.

They are strictly for lowering.

You might pay double for the KW, but you're getting 10x the setup.
The following users liked this post:
NightMarauder (04-03-2017)

Quick Reply: Bc racing