Official Eibach vs H&R Springs Debate

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 02:47 PM
ONEighty
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Official Eibach vs H&R Springs Debate

This topic seems to come up in every suspension discussion I have, whether it's in person, or online. Whats your take? Please only post if you have experience with BOTH sets of springs...

Also take into account that cars (especially ours) with springs don't get tracked, and people mainly buy these springs to lower the height of their car. If you want better handling, you go with coilovers.

Before my 2010 RWD sedan hit 100 miles on the OD, I had installed a set of used (3-4K miles) H&R springs. I've drove the car like I stole it, and got as much performance out of it as I could.

One of my close friends installed a pair of NEW Eibach Pro-Kit springs on his 2009 G37xS sedan with about 18K miles. He also drives his car to the limit.

During my car's down time, I got to drive his car for about a week. It gave me to chance to really compare my H&R's to his Eibach's... and to be honest, I thought the Eibach's were a piece of crap compared to my H&R's.

For their sole purpose, Eibach's performed like **** on the streets... they didn't handle better even though they were stiffer, when it came to big turns, the car leaned just as much with Eibach's than it did w/ H&R's. When it came to driving through bumpy roads, the car wanted to nearly fall apart... things were squeaking and rattling, and you can literally feel every bump through your spine. At highway speeds, the Eibach's bounced a little more than the H&R's given they sat a about .4-5" higher.

My final conclusion... and take into account that this is from MY personal experience... I found the H&R's to be much better all around springs. On turns there was no significant difference between the two, but driving through streets (because that's what 99% of the G drivers do)... H&R's gave a much smoother ride, while still retaining good handling around turns, and high speed runs weren't as bouncy as Eibachs (probably due to the ride height). In the end, it doesn't make sense that Eibachs are stiffer on the street, yet handle the same as the H&R's.

Whats YOUR take on the springs? Again... please only post if you have experience with both brands.

- Igor

Last edited by ONEighty; 01-14-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:25 PM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have used both...albeit on different cars:

2007 Sedan: H&R
2010 Coupe: Eibach

First difference is amount that the car was lowered. I don't think this is a difference between coupe and sedan, as they traditionally lower different amounts. H&R was much lower, particularly in the front end. I would have trouble getting over speed bumps, getting in and out of certain dipped parking lots, hitting the bumper when I pulled into parking spots, etc. That is just a matter of paying attention though and being careful.

Being lower brings up issues of tire wear, giving the advantage to Eibach. That being said, I got 15K miles out of T1Rs with H&R which I thought was really really good.

H&R also will create more of a need for spacers, as the wheels will be tucked a bit more.

In terms of ride...I would definitely agree that H&R has a better feel. There are times that my Eibachs feel a little loose, and still create a bit of body roll and a "floating" feeling. This is probably due more to the center of gravity than spring rates or any of the materials used, but still felt better on a spirited drive on the H&R. On normal everyday driving, honestly, I think they are both very good. Eibachs if anything I thought were a bit softer, in some ways making them feel more like stock. On the H&Rs I could tell I was not on stock suspension...and I liked that.

I'm by no means regretting Eibachs because they get rid of the wheel gap, keep it very stock feeling, and still provide better feel and response than stock.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:01 PM
ONEighty
Former Sponsor

IMHO

The PROPER way to sport aftermarket springs for handling is to purchase aftermarket struts...which 90% of the Infiniti drivers in the US don't do.

Putting aftermarket springs on OEM suspension is strictly aesthetic IMO...especially when your OEM struts turn to **** after 10K miles because you put aftermarket springs, causing quicker wear and tear on the the suspension. With that being said, it brings me to the conclude that springs are mainly an aesthetic mod when installed without aftermarket struts... the only thing you have left to judge is the ride quality of the springs and as far as that goes... I think the H&R's definitely take the cake.

It could have also been the difference between AWD, non sport suspension, and thinner sway bars that made me hate the Eibachs more, but the difference shouldn't be THAT significant, no?

- Igor
Old 01-14-2011, 04:31 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 180Custom
It could have also been the difference between AWD, non sport suspension, and thinner sway bars that made me hate the Eibachs more, but the difference shouldn't be THAT significant, no?

- Igor
That is what I was thinking...

Your final opinions would likely be influenced had you experienced both sets of springs on the same car, as the handling characteristics of each of those models stock-for-stock is different. I think it is virtually impossible to make an accurate/decisive conclusion when you do not have a consistent element in the "testing" (the car itself).

Also, we should state the simple fact that it is difficult to be objective. I'm not suggesting your conclusions are not truthful expressions of your experience. However, and I hope you'd agree with me, whether it be subconsciously or not, people often tend to try to rationalize/justify/defend their purchases. Right? Couple that with the fact that opinions are subjective and there is no right or wrong answer as to which spring is superior (assuming quality and craftsmanship are equal). I might take a third party's G for a ride one week when he has H&R's installed and the next week when he has Eibach and my finding might be in direct conflict with your conclusions because, quite simply, I might love what you think "performed like ****."

It's not a perfect science. But I like this thread because it allows for those debating between the two to see opinions of those who have had both. (I am in direct violation of the rule of the OP. I'm posting in here despite having only experienced one of the above-mentioned springs. My apologies. I upgraded to coilovers after my Pro-Kit... Honestly, I think it will be tough to find many members who have experienced both sets equally, but great thread! )
Old 01-14-2011, 04:42 PM
jarborn1

Originally Posted by 180Custom
IMHO

The PROPER way to sport aftermarket springs for handling is to purchase aftermarket struts...which 90% of the Infiniti drivers in the US don't do.

Putting aftermarket springs on OEM suspension is strictly aesthetic IMO...especially when your OEM struts turn to **** after 10K miles because you put aftermarket springs, causing quicker wear and tear on the the suspension. With that being said, it brings me to the conclude that springs are mainly an aesthetic mod when installed without aftermarket struts... the only thing you have left to judge is the ride quality of the springs and as far as that goes... I think the H&R's definitely take the cake.

- Igor
Is this really true?

I haven't heard of anyone having to change their struts at all on here, let alone at 10k miles..

Just has me concerned bc i have had eibachs on for a while now and don't want to run into any issues.. (I am at 20k miles)
Old 01-14-2011, 04:46 PM
ONEighty
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by WPPJR30
However, and I hope you'd agree with me, whether it be subconsciously or not, people often tend to try to rationalize/justify/defend their purchases.
I would never lol. Perfect example... I just got an S4, and I've stated this in other threads how I still miss and love my G37, and how for the money, the S4 is simply not worth it. I'm not one of those people who's going to front that my stuff is better just because I bought it. I got my springs for $80, so I have no reason to defend my purchase lol.

I speak from personal experience, as well as other G37 drivers I interact with on daily basis, and 4 out of 5 customs who currently have Eibach springs are telling me how they hate their ride quality and are looking to switch to H&R's.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:53 PM
ONEighty
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jarborn1
Is this really true?

I haven't heard of anyone having to change their struts at all on here, let alone at 10k miles..

Just has me concerned bc i have had eibachs on for a while now and don't want to run into any issues.. (I am at 20k miles)
You won't need to change your struts, but you will notice how much bouncier the softer the suspension gets, especially if you compare it to a car with stock suspension. I've witnessed this first hand with my friends 05 G35 coupe, he installed Tein S-Techs on his 20K mile suspension, at 36K by the time his lease was up, the car felt like a boat.

I've been browsing Japanese blogs for the last several months, they install at least 1 set of springs per week, and everytime they're paired up with aftermarket struts... so I doubt my assumption of quicker wear and tear with AM springs is false, unless I'm wrong then I take it back.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have not had either but I am going to chime in anyway.

I agree the correct way to overhaul your suspension is to do springs and struts but why not just do coilovers at that point since they will be properly matched?

I dont really agree that you will blow your shocks after 10K miles on the Eibachs especially since they offer such a mild drop. I do agree its not really great for them but not really a big deal.

Lastly are you talking about for sedan or coupe because for sedan the drop difference is not that much difference between the 2 set ups but for coupe there is a huge difference. Eibach offers very mild drop and H&R is prtetty much slammed. I would not even put the 2 in the same category.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:18 PM
TheIvoryG

I had H&R on my sedan for 35K miles and the struts were just as strong as the day I put them on. Not to say they won't blow out, because I know they will at some point. But I am just not sure what that mileage is. terrycs has had Eibach on his car for years and iirc he still has stock struts.

I COMPLELTELY agree that springs only is asthetic. The handling benefits are minimal at best, particularly for a dd. Hell everything I do is strictly for looks or sound...I think I'm in the minority though in that I don't mind admitting that...
Old 01-15-2011, 06:01 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
pretty much everyone who installs springs are doing it for looks only.
ive used eibach in my other car and honestly it made the handling worse. Id rather save up for coilovers even if im not tracking my car.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:27 AM
4drScreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Presto
pretty much everyone who installs springs are doing it for looks only.
ive used eibach in my other car and honestly it made the handling worse. Id rather save up for coilovers even if im not tracking my car.
I totally agree. Springs are great for lowering, but they screw up the handling and ride quality. That is why I went with coil overs this time around. I had Eibachs before on my '05 TL, so I can't really comment on H&R.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:01 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

Hm.. I have eibach springs in my living room and planning on installing on my coupe when i get my 20's but this thread is making me question it...

The reason i chose eibach was because of the great reviews about how the ride is almost like stock and improved body roll =( worried now... I wouldn't want my handling to get screwed and have bad ride quality....

i have hotchkis sways and non-sport suspension, how will my ride quality be? I know after getting the sways it handled like it was on rails but going over uneven bumps with one wheel , caused a jerky ride but well worth it
Old 01-16-2011, 05:08 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I have h&r's and they ride just right. But h&r's are slammed, my car is tucking in front and back. here is a pic the day of installing the h&r's. they have settled since then. h&r;s are more like a 2 inch drop than a 1.5 on an Scoupe not sure about sedans
Attached Thumbnails Official Eibach vs H&R Springs Debate-car1-001.jpg  
Old 01-16-2011, 05:14 PM
nogoodname
Banned

G35 people are installing 350z springs for an extra 0.5 drop. Has anyone installed 370z springs on their G37?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:17 PM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I like my H&Rs too, the drop is perfect and I love the stiffer ride. The eibach rides too close to stock, and the drop isnt too much either. But this all depends on how much you want to drop the car, sometimes my drop actually annoys me when I try getting into steeper driveways but everytime I go outside and see the car's stance it makes it worth it. My car is a sedan with coupe H&Rs btw.

Quick Reply: Official Eibach vs H&R Springs Debate