I heart JDM... (Teaser shots of our newest mod)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 12:28 PM
4drScreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WPPJR30
Thanks, guys. Very nice compliments coming from you two... There are some other mods in the works that, I think, lend themselves well to the "tastefully aggressive" theme. We'll see...

Anyway, I just received a BBM with a quick shot of the install in progress :
I'm with you on waiting to comment about red and teal combo until they are installed. Based on your photo are the backs black hats and the front teal? I'm not exactly sure what you switched out. I'm guessing the rear rotors are your previous ones and you only swapped out the front and changed the rear calipers. I also don't know how much of the teal hat you'll see in the front. It will depend on the wheel type.

Overall the Project Mu's are a very sweet setup. Perhaps matching teal caliper covers would be appropriate since it is their signature color. Anyway great post and congrats on the upgrade!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:32 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by droogie
Those look awesome. Props for pushing the spending the time and money and pushing the limit with JDM parts for the G! I guess if you dont like the color combo you could always powder coat the calipers, might be easier than messing up the hat on the rotor.
Thank you. It's certainly different. Don't get me wrong, Project Mu makes a big brake kit that would bolt right up to the G. It's their forged racing kit. It retails for something like $14,000. This is not that kit. This is a one-of-a-kind kit that was assembled with components from a couple different kits. Someone familiar with Project Mu would be able to recognize the novelty of this particular set-up.

As with any pioneering project, there is no way to predict setbacks or delays. A lot of time, energy, and money went into this project. We certainly experienced a few unexpected obstacles and complications, but, ultimately, we did it!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:53 PM
WPPJR30

Originally Posted by 4drScreamer
I'm with you on waiting to comment about red and teal combo until they are installed. Based on your photo are the backs black hats and the front teal? I'm not exactly sure what you switched out. I'm guessing the rear rotors are your previous ones and you only swapped out the front and changed the rear calipers. I also don't know how much of the teal hat you'll see in the front. It will depend on the wheel type.

Overall the Project Mu's are a very sweet setup. Perhaps matching teal caliper covers would be appropriate since it is their signature color. Anyway great post and congrats on the upgrade!
You're right. The front rotor hats needed to be swapped to bolt up to a G. The backs were okay. All brake components are Project Mu, including the rotors. The brackets for the calipers had to be swapped out, also. (The cost of these brackets from PMu Japan is ridiculous!) Here is a [poor quality] picture of the differences between the two brackets:

I liked the limited release red calipers because, as rare as Project Mu brakes are, red Project Mu brakes are even more rare. Since I have a bit of a red theme going with my G, I jumped on them. What I did not initially realize was the fact that I would have to swap out the rotor hats. Project Mu's aluminum racing hats (only available in the signature teal) were a necessary component to bolt these up to a G. This issue is what made me hesitant about the teal/red combination. (I thought the entire set-up would look like the rear - with black rotor hats.)

Anyway, I'm going to see how I feel about them once I can actually get the car outside and look at them from a few different angles and from far away, etc... Being in the garage currently, I can only step back a couple feet (hence the close-up pictures a few posts above.) But, in all honestly, they look pretty sharp. And, like I mentioned above, people who know Project Mu would likely respect the work that went into assembling this kit. In the half hour I drove the car after installation, I received a few compliments from strangers.

Thanks for the kind words, though.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:10 PM
4drScreamer

Through all the effort, you definitely will have a unique and respectable set up!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:06 PM
TomieG

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Now i see what u were saying about Christmas! Can't wait to see this in person.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:38 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
those arrrrrrrrrrre......BIG
Old 01-09-2011, 12:00 PM
4drScreamer

However, when I arrived at the shop the G was sitting outside with a few people standing around admiring it. I crouched down to take a closer look and I was surprised. The camera does not capture the rotor hats as they appear in reality. Despite how they look in pictures, it is not a bright teal, chalky-looking paint finish. It is anodized aluminum. They are pretty impressive. These are hats from Project Mu's forged racing brakes. It was necessary to order these custom hats to make the brakes work on the G. It is certainly an unconventional set-up; something you do not see every day. Anyway, the more I look at them, the more they are growing on me. It is aggressive. It is bold. It is definitely more of a tuner look than a luxury look. I pulled into a convenience store on the way home and when I came out, there were a couple guys looking at the brakes. When they saw me, one of them told me they looked "sick."

Additionally, with this new brake set-up, I am now considering new wheel options. My RS-D's are sporty wheels, but I'm toying with the idea of going with something, perhaps, a bit more brazen or dynamic. Aggressive. I'm still up in the air. We'll see.

As for the performance... We are expecting a few inches of snow here within the next 24 hours, so I will not have a chance to really drive it. However, I thoroughly enjoyed my ride home last night. I accelerated as I approached the red lights just so I'd have the opportunity to test the brakes. They did not disappoint. I had complete confidence that I would stop as expected. Coming from the Stop-Tech big brakes, I was skeptical. I have been used to being able to stop on a dime. The Project Mu brakes perform just as well or better than the Stop-Tech brakes. I was told they were considerably lighter than the Stop-Techs, but exactly how much I am not sure.

Okay enough writing...

I will take some better pictures when I can get the G out of the garage. (And, yes, I realize a bubble bath should be a priority. )

OK the camera photos may not do the color justice, but those are absolutely f'ing amazing! Glad to know that they have been admired, but I would have thought the Beantown folks would have used "wicked" over "sick!" LOL

IDK the black Advans look great with the brakes, but pics of the overall car would be helpful. Get some guys to Photoshop in some wheel options for you and it might help you with your decision.

Also would appreciate a favor: PM me the details of this setup. Project Mu has been a favorite of mine for a while and would seriously consider contacting them about same (but different) type of set up.

Looking forward to snow free weather for you so pics can be posted!
Old 01-09-2011, 12:44 PM
WPPJR30

Originally Posted by 4drScreamer
OK the camera photos may not do the color justice, but those are absolutely f'ing amazing! Glad to know that they have been admired, but I would have thought the Beantown folks would have used "wicked" over "sick!" LOL

Also would appreciate a favor: PM me the details of this setup. Project Mu has been a favorite of mine for a while and would seriously consider contacting them about same (but different) type of set up.

Looking forward to snow free weather for you so pics can be posted!
Thanks a lot... PM'ed.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:48 PM
chaqui74

Very nice.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:23 PM
redrover23
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Love the brake setup. Adds much flavor to the wheel wells. Too bad the red is limited? I would be interested in a red setup as well, but after my piggy bank swells up. Hopefully the red is still around.

Please PM the ballpark cost of this upgrade, gotta figure a way to get it into my budget.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:50 PM
WPPJR30

Originally Posted by redrover23
Love the brake setup. Adds much flavor to the wheel wells. Too bad the red is limited? I would be interested in a red setup as well, but after my piggy bank swells up. Hopefully the red is still around.

Please PM the ballpark cost of this upgrade, gotta figure a way to get it into my budget.
Thank you.

The red calipers can be special-ordered from Project Mu. Obviously the teal is the color that comes to mind when one thinks of Project Mu, so red isn't as popular, but it can be had...

I actually just received an e-mail a couple days ago from my buddy who got confirmation from Project Mu that my G37 is, in fact, the only one sporting these brakes, thus making this a truly unique, one-of-a-kind big brake set-up.

Anyway, expect a PM shortly...
Old 01-28-2011, 08:07 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Looking very sexy
Old 01-28-2011, 08:58 PM
MyocyteX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Beauties! It does look a little like christmas in the wheel, but opinons aside, they are in fact "SICK!"

MOAR PICS!