Car Vibrates while braking...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 03:18 AM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Car Vibrates while braking...

While exiting the express way today my car began to slightly vibrate as i pressed the brakes. I applied a little more pressure to the brakes and the whole damn car began to shake. I think I need to have my rotors resurfaced but I wouldn't expect this for another 10k miles. I currently have less than 10k miles on the car. Is this a common problem with this car? Has anyone else had this problem? Going in to the dealership tommorow to have it checked out.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:20 AM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a common issue, bring it back to the dealer, they will correct it under warranty.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:52 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Yup, take it to the dealer, it happened to me too its no big problem.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:50 AM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
My Armada and 02 Maxima both had warped rotors that were turned and then replaced under warranty. The Armada actually got thicker rotors and new calipers to dissipate the heat and not warp. I don't think Nissan specs/designs brakes correctly.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:45 PM
MOB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSB for "brake judder", premature warping of the rotors due to insufficient cooling. I had the same thing happen and they resurfaced the rotors and added backing plates for better cooling. Ended up going back 3 weeks later as the issue wasn't resolved with that repair effort. They then fully replaced the rotors and pads with new parts. Push for full replacement as that is the best solution. Turning the rotors is a good offering in theory, however it also further reduces the operating life of those rotors that should not have warped in the first place....and may not remedy the vibration entirely. The only way to truly make things right is to get them to do full front rotor and pad replacement....that they know they should do anyway, trying to get you to agree to resurfacing is the easy out for them so don't fall for it.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:56 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by MOB
get them to do full front rotor and pad replacement....that they know they should do anyway, trying to get you to agree to resurfacing is the easy out for them so don't fall for it.
They did that to my car, never worked

I then ordered a StopTech Slotted Rotors and guess what, under a few heavy breaks I can sense the judder

Our cars are too heavy for our brakes
Old 12-22-2010, 03:00 PM
GPR-37s
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Had the same issue here. Had the rotors replaced and got new pads... Problem gone. =)
Old 12-22-2010, 04:06 PM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

The cooling on these brakes are horrible, not only on the G because the Z guys also suffer from this, specially when they track the car.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:32 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G37Sam
They did that to my car, never worked

I then ordered a StopTech Slotted Rotors and guess what, under a few heavy breaks I can sense the judder

Our cars are too heavy for our brakes
The 14" rotors should be more than sufficient to stop the car; according to Car & Driver investigation, it seems that Nissan/Infiniti sacrificed brake cooling efficiency for aerodynamics; during their braking test of different cars, the Nissan/Infiniti brakes were the first to fade completely after a few high speed stops. Here's the link to the C&D article:

Z Meets Wall: We Investigate Why the NISMO Z's Brakes Failed at Lightning Lap - Feature - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver
Old 12-23-2010, 12:04 AM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MOB
TSB for "brake judder", premature warping of the rotors due to insufficient cooling. I had the same thing happen and they resurfaced the rotors and added backing plates for better cooling. Ended up going back 3 weeks later as the issue wasn't resolved with that repair effort. They then fully replaced the rotors and pads with new parts. Push for full replacement as that is the best solution. Turning the rotors is a good offering in theory, however it also further reduces the operating life of those rotors that should not have warped in the first place....and may not remedy the vibration entirely. The only way to truly make things right is to get them to do full front rotor and pad replacement....that they know they should do anyway, trying to get you to agree to resurfacing is the easy out for them so don't fall for it.
Will Do... Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:17 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
yes, me too - I have had the rotors resurfaced twice, and it's coming back a little at 22k miles. I will be taking it back in and will insist on the TSB - new rototrs, new ducting for better cooling - I'm tired of having to baby the brakes for fear of overheating and warping.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:43 PM
D_Nyholm

Is this still a problem? My car has about 8000 miles on it and I went on a road trip for the 4th and noticed it on the highway when i had to slow down for traffic. I drive my car mostly locally and never really need to press the brakes hard, it seems weird they would warp so easily. I've never warped rotors on any of my cars and i've autocrossed and driven them at track events!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:52 PM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Yup, its a common problem with these cars.. It wont effect the brakes or anything but if you want it fixed you can just resurface the rotors.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:56 AM
KLB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take it to the dealer and let them resurface them for you. It should be free
Old 07-07-2011, 08:56 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A lot of the car companies are using thinner rotors. This makes them more prone to warping. When you follow the recommended schedule of rotating the tires, each time this is done there is a good chance of your rotors being warped, depending on the person tightening the lugnuts.
That's one of the reasons I prefer to rotate the tires myself.
Tom

Quick Reply: Car Vibrates while braking...