Alignment spec with KWs and mild drop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 12:57 AM
droogie
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alignment spec with KWs and mild drop?

Hi all,

I'm strongly considering dropping on KWs on stock wheels with 20mm spacers. I would only want a mild drop, I will not slam it as that is not practical for me. Just enough to get rid of some wheel gap. If I get the SPC front and rear camber kits, will I be able to get my camber within stock spec? My car is a daily, and if it turns out I'll just eat my tires quickly then it doesnt make sense for me to lower the car.

I know this topic has probably been done to death, and I read all the old posts. I know there was some issue with the spc arms being too long and causing metal-on-metal contact last year, but I am confused as to whether or not this was remedied.

It seems like everybody has their own horror story when it comes to lowering the g37, so it has me understandably nervous.

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2010, 01:12 AM
emyrl

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe the issues with the arms have been remedied. With only a mild drop you will definitely be able to get your camber within stock spec. As long as your toe is back in spec, your tires will be just fine. A lot of people are riding even lower with their cars as their daily, and they have little problems with their tires (provided that they have their alignment in check).
Old 12-08-2010, 03:31 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
If you're only looking for a mild drop, why not look into Eibach springs, they offer a nice drop and do not require camber arms (been on them for almost two years now)
Old 12-08-2010, 06:48 AM
droogie
Registered Member

Good advice sam. I really like the stance on your car btw. Springs would be cheaper but as I understand it your shocks will eventually give out. Also I think the ride quality would be better with coils? I'm trying to maintain as close to stock driveability. And of course I could have fun with the upgraded handling.

I'm trying to pick up a used set of kw, which makes them alot more appealing.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:23 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
the camber arms have been revised. There's cars almost completely slammed and the arms don't hit the fenders.

I just ordered my front and rear arms from THMotorports..Nicks great and def will hook you up. Got them in like 2 days Fedex! you can see how the front arms have been modified.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:56 PM
droogie
Registered Member

After analyzing the cost of both options, coilovers (used ones) would cost three times as much as springs, after install and camber arms are factored in.

Since I don't auto x or track, I think I'll just get springs and save my cash for other stuff.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:41 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

yeah if you just want a subtle drop, springs are the ideal way to go, esp if you have a dd.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:37 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Originally Posted by droogie
After analyzing the cost of both options, coilovers (used ones) would cost three times as much as springs, after install and camber arms are factored in.

Since I don't auto x or track, I think I'll just get springs and save my cash for other stuff.
Smart thinking, I find it funny when people waste their money on coils just to lower their cars.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:34 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Smart thinking, I find it funny when people waste their money on coils just to lower their cars.
What do you mean "just to lower their car?" , you mean compared to tracking it?

Coils give you 100% flexibility to set your car to WHATEVER height you want. I've installed lowering springs on 4 of my cars, and EVERY SINGLE TIME I regretted not getting coils because there's always something about the height that you want to adjust. Possibly just a little lower in the front...little lower in the rear...might settle a little uneven so you can adjust that. Not to mention the amount of research put into coilovers and getting a full strut AND spring, you CANNOT beat the ride quality you get w/ the right set of Coils. I could NOT be happier w/ my KW's, nor have I ever had a thought in my mind of regret of getting them FTW!
Old 12-11-2010, 05:14 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Originally Posted by | 1cleanG |
What do you mean "just to lower their car?" , you mean compared to tracking it?

Coils give you 100% flexibility to set your car to WHATEVER height you want. I've installed lowering springs on 4 of my cars, and EVERY SINGLE TIME I regretted not getting coils because there's always something about the height that you want to adjust. Possibly just a little lower in the front...little lower in the rear...might settle a little uneven so you can adjust that. Not to mention the amount of research put into coilovers and getting a full strut AND spring, you CANNOT beat the ride quality you get w/ the right set of Coils. I could NOT be happier w/ my KW's, nor have I ever had a thought in my mind of regret of getting them FTW!
True but still, paying almost 8-10 times the price of springs just to fine adjust height doesn't really justify it, there are lots of springs options out there to choose from depending on your desire. The sport OEM struts are very well built IMO
Old 12-11-2010, 05:48 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
True but still, paying almost 8-10 times the price of springs just to fine adjust height doesn't really justify it, there are lots of springs options out there to choose from depending on your desire. The sport OEM struts are very well built IMO
I agree with this 100% and the ONLY reason I switched from the Eibach PK springs to KW V3 coilovers is b/c I got the coilovers BNIB for less than 50%. Otherwise I never would have spent the money on them
Old 12-11-2010, 07:46 PM
123u

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
im still debating if i should man up and get the KW3 coilovers off the bat.
Go big or Go home right!

Last edited by 123u; 12-11-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I want to lower my car but live in a winter climate, so i need the ability to raise my car in the winter, and lower in the summer. If your in my situation, coilovers at the only way to go.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:45 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Originally Posted by 123u
im still debating if i should man up and get the KW3 coilovers off the bat.
Go big or Go home right!

Do it ^ bro! You 100% won't regret it!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:20 AM
OvaYahead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rather your tracking the car or just want to lower the car for looks, coilovers are never the wrong choice. The extra money is worth the peace of mind that the car is dropped correctly. People forget that strut valving and spring rate need to match. The ride quality is very noticable between the two.

I've seen a few postings about people suddenly scraping after a few thousand miles on just springs (Eibach's matched with stock strut). The stock struts are well built, but any strut with more compression load and matched with the wrong spring rate will fail sooner.

I'm not an expert, but i have lots of years doing my own suspension work.

Quick Reply: Alignment spec with KWs and mild drop?