Brakes squeal when I reverse the car!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Coupe Daddy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not going to let the dealership touch my brakes again. I'm going to Brake Check or somewhere to get new pads and rotors. I may even get cross-drilled rotors. I'll certainly be getting ceramic pads. We'll see.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:56 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine's been squeaking for years now. The dealership has cleaned the debris off once and supposedly resurfaced my rotors the second time, but the noise always comes back. Pretty annoying actually for a $40K+ car.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
Mine's been squeaking for years now. The dealership has cleaned the debris off once and supposedly resurfaced my rotors the second time, but the noise always comes back. Pretty annoying actually for a $40K+ car.
oh i know, i play on getting some aftermarket guys though, F factory stuff
Old 11-23-2010, 05:17 PM
lier200a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is doing it too... 6k on it... I'm getting it serviced this friday so i'll get them to check just to be sure.

Oh, and the brakes seems rough (lower sound than the normal reverse squeal) when braking forward as well... is that normal?
Old 11-23-2010, 05:30 PM
IPG37S

First post here, So I just got a 08 g37s 6mt and im havin the same squealin problem wen in reverse. Friend of mine has a G and he said the dealer told him its normal
Old 11-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Perkchiro

I told the service advisor at Reliable Infiniti in Springfield MO that I thought it wasn't appropriate for a $40,000 luxo vehicle to have brakes squealing in reverse. I told him that it was embarrassing and he just laughed and said a lot of car brakes squeal. I told him that my GMC truck, Toyota Highlander and 68 Mustang brakes don't squeal. He had no answer on that one. I don't think Infiniti cares one flippen lick about this issue. Seems like they should since it's common to many of our cars.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:36 PM
cdb5556

Just noted a slight squeak in rev. with my '09 journey coupe. base brakes so may be normal. I'm in Texas, so it was not cold weather !
Old 11-24-2010, 02:30 AM
ray125

I have the same issue. Also my family members (G35, FX, I30, and G37).
Old 11-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Coupe Daddy

Originally Posted by Perkchiro
I told the service advisor at Reliable Infiniti in Springfield MO that I thought it wasn't appropriate for a $40,000 luxo vehicle to have brakes squealing in reverse. I told him that it was embarrassing and he just laughed and said a lot of car brakes squeal. I told him that my GMC truck, Toyota Highlander and 68 Mustang brakes don't squeal. He had no answer on that one. I don't think Infiniti cares one flippen lick about this issue. Seems like they should since it's common to many of our cars.
That sums up the real problem right there.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:59 PM
firstluxurycar

Have the same problem. It squeals when I reverse and it seems to be getting louder and louder now - really embarrassing, as you can hear it like a hundred feet away. Gonna take it to dealership and see what they say.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Coupe Daddy

Originally Posted by firstluxurycar
Have the same problem. It squeals when I reverse and it seems to be getting louder and louder now - really embarrassing, as you can hear it like a hundred feet away. Gonna take it to dealership and see what they say.
First be certain if it is the front brakes or the rear brakes that are squealing. I had that reverse squeal for a long time and the last time I took my car in they fixed it for good. Problem is now my brakes squeal when moving forward. This is actually a better problem.

I think they just swapped my rear rotors (and pads maybe) from one side to the other, essentially eliminating the squeal in reverse because now the rotors are turning in the opposite direction. They must have also machined my rotors too because it took about 2-3 weeks for them to start squealing when going forward.

Here are the particulars:
1. There is a "sweet" spot where the pressure you apply to your brakes creates the right amount of contact between the pads and rotors to cause resonance (I believe).

2. This only happens (for me at least) at slow speeds, like right before I stop or I am "crawling" along in stop and go traffic. If I stop abrubtly while moving slow my brakes don't squeal (much). At speed my brakes never squeal no matter how light I tap them.

So speed and pressure matters.

Here is why I say that the forward-going squealing is a "better" problem. When in reverse you are almost always going slow and are applying your brakes lightly so the squealing happens more often than not. Going forward allows your rotors to wear in the direction of the squeal and also you brake a lot more forward than you do backward. This helps wear the surfaces of your pads and rotors.

Driver's workaround:
1. Find a relatively secluded road/area with enough stretch of pavement.
2. Drive your car slowly and brake to reproduce the problem.
3. Hold the brake pedal in the position where the brakes squeal
4. Gently press the accelerator to get up to "squealing speed"
5. Hold the position of you brake and accelerator until the squealing discontinues. You will have to accelerate slightly more are you continue to move forward to keep the car going and the brakes squealing.

Note: This is a temporary fix but I found that when the squealing returned each subsequent time (1-3 weeks) I performed this routine the brake noise (or lack thereof) is getting better.

Also Note: This will only work if you can get your service writer to get the technician to swap sides with your rotors (and pads?) to make the squealing occur when going forward.

Personally, I am simply fed up with Infiniti's non-response to this issue and at this point they will not be touching my brakes again. I will take my car elsewhere for brake jobs.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:09 PM
G4me

My brakes have squealed going forward since the car was new. Makes no difference if I'm applying the brakes or not, squeal is there. I have it recorded and will get them to check it out at my next service. Really strange if you ask me.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
mines do too, not going to bother with the dealer, gonna just save up and upgrade to the akebonos
Old 01-18-2011, 12:23 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
just have the brake dust cleaned at the dealership every once in a while. mine stopped squeaking after i started doing that every month
Old 01-18-2011, 02:14 PM
3BEP6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reverse squeek here too when cold brakes.

Quick Reply: Brakes squeal when I reverse the car!