Review Upgrades to my Suspension...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:22 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Upgrades to my Suspension...

Coming from a Z, my biggest "complaint" about the G was the handling. Although it was hardly bad, I had a desire for tighter, more responsive handling qualities. My first modifications to the G were the Eibach Pro-Kit and Stillen Sway Bars. I had hoped that would improve the handling to my expectations. The results were an improvement, but not what I had hoped.

We decided to go with a coilover set-up that we have not seen on too many G's, as well as some frame bracing from GT Spec. We chose Tein Flex coilovers and decided to utilize their Electronic Damping Force Controller technology, EDFC. We then got our hands on some GT Spec parts, to which I decided to powdercoat wrinkle red. (Before anyone rips me for having the GT Spec parts powdercoated, please realize I am not a moron. I do understand that they will not be visible once the car is on the ground. Nonetheless, I decided to have them done. My decision. )

In an ideal world, I would have liked to have had the coilovers installed, driven around for a couple weeks, and then have the GT Spec bracing installed. That way, I would be able to discern the different ride quality characteristics of each respective modification and know what effect was coming from what part(s). However, that was not a realistic or practical option.

Anyway, the end result, with all suspension work completed, is a drastic/radical improvement over the previous Eibach Pro-Kit set-up. The G sits considerably lower now and handles worlds better. With tighter handling qualities, body roll has been virtually eliminated, I notice this most when entering or exiting the expressway. I do not feel every bump as much as I did with the spring set-up and the EDFC has proved to be quite a convenient feature. For those of you who may be unfamiliar with this equipment, it allows the driver to control the damping force from inside the cabin. With EDFC, there are 16 levels of adjustability (0 being the 'hardest' setting and 16 being the 'softest'). You control the damping of the front, as well as the damping of the rear. So, hypothetically, one could have the front set to the hardest setting and the rear set to the softest, and vice versa. On top of that, there are three presets. They act much like radio presets, in that one does not have to adjust the control every time the car is started. Just simply push the preset for whatever you're feeling at that moment. And it can be adjusted on the fly, if so desired. Personally, I have one setting for a firm ride, or spirited driving on windy/country roads or something of that nature, one softer setting for highway driving - so I do not feel every bump, and one setting for "daily driving," a nice mix between the two (8 in the front, 10 in the rear is my personal preference).

Here are a few pictures of the new suspension set-up:

Suspension Components Include:

1) Tein Flex Coilovers w/ EDFC Technology
2) Stillen Sway Bars
3) GT Spec Front Strut Brace
4) GT Spec Front 4 Point Ladder Brace
5) GT Spec Front 2 Points Subframe Reinforcement Brace
6) GT Spec Rear Lower Lateral Reinforcement Brace
7) GT Spec 6 Points Rear Subframe Brace
8) GT Spec Rear Lower Tie Brace

Last edited by WPPJR30; 02-03-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Jatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice.. i am impressed ... thank you for the pics
Old 11-07-2010, 09:05 PM
TomieG

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Niceee man. U gotta take me for a spin. I want to see how it compares to mine

u should attend an auto-x sesh next season or even better an open course track
Old 11-07-2010, 10:59 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice mod list dude... Just installed JIC coilovers today but haven't really had a chance to test it out yet.

I'm also running stillen sways, GTspec ladder brace & GTspec strut bar.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:04 PM
platinumg35x

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what exhaust is that?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:08 PM
GraphiteG37S

^ Was wondering the same thing...
Old 11-07-2010, 11:14 PM
WPPJR30

Originally Posted by TomieG

Niceee man. U gotta take me for a spin. I want to see how it compares to mine
Originally Posted by Kverd88
Nice mod list dude... Just installed JIC coilovers today but haven't really had a chance to test it out yet.

I'm also running stillen sways, GTspec ladder brace & GTspec strut bar.
Thanks, guys.

Not everything is installed in that picture. When I pick it up later this week (hopefully) I will take a better picture of the underside of the car. I was really impressed with how nice the wrinkle red powdercoat turned out.

Kverd88, I can't wait to drive the car. I have a feeling I will be messing around with the EDFC a lot, trying to dial in the perfect damping force and find the balance I like. It was hard looking at the car and not being able to take it for a spin...

Tomie, I'll let you take it for a ride yourself to see how it feels. Possibly next weekend? Let me know...
Old 11-07-2010, 11:19 PM
WPPJR30

Originally Posted by platinumg35x
what exhaust is that?
Fujitsubo Legalis-R
Old 11-07-2010, 11:22 PM
GraphiteG37S

Originally Posted by WPPJR30
Fujitsubo Legalis-R
That's sick!!!....Where did you get that?

Last edited by GraphiteG37S; 11-08-2010 at 03:24 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:30 PM
WPPJR30

Originally Posted by Kverd88
That's sick!!!....Where did you get that?
I waited a while for it...
(It was not a vendor on this site, as the few I PM'ed about this exhaust said they did not carry/could not get it. PM me if you'd like... )

Here is a link to my review: https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...g37-coupe.html
Old 11-07-2010, 11:37 PM
GraphiteG37S

That's awesome dude. Congrats. Your G is gonna be riding on rails!
Old 11-08-2010, 12:09 AM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
WOW, now thats a suspension!
Old 11-08-2010, 12:31 AM
g37mobbin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i seen people knock on teins for the g37 but they were a great product for the g35's. Whats your opinion? As well nice set up/Exhaust. How does it feel?
Old 11-08-2010, 03:02 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
wow very nice list of handling mods. do post a review on the handling of the car once everything is installed.

a noob question, but does anyone know if the safety of the car will be compromised with all the GT spec braces? in the event of an accident will it reduce the ability of the car to crumple and absorb the shocks?
Old 11-08-2010, 06:47 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Immediately before i looked before your photo, all i could think....coils...coils...coils, UPGRADE TO COILS!

You'll be happy bro....your suspension should handle like a dream now!! Very nice upgrade.

Quick Reply: Review Upgrades to my Suspension...