Please Help - Coilover Decision

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:09 PM
pudula

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help - Coilover Decision

I have been searching for weeks now and cannot find the answers to my questions so please help if possible...

I am looking to lower my 2010 S Coupe on coil overs. I know KW V3 are preferred by many, but a bit outside the budget. What I know is would like to maintain OEM locations of shock/spring in the rear. I also know I am all-street, no-track. The plan is an 1" drop in the back, 2.5" in the front (based on current stock wheel gap). I've owned Zeal function b6's in the past and they were amazing, so the bar is set a little high, you could say.

Options: Tein SS-P, Tein Basics, KW Variant 1 (cannot find ANYTHING on these), Tanabe Sustec Pro SO-C.

Obviously Teins are dampening adjustable. Could I assume KW V1's would be better than the tanabes? Same type of adjustment capability as the Sustecs, but better engineering (assumed based on V3's).

Someone please help! Tein SS-P's are most adjustable out of the four, but for my goal, will I be paying for features that won't matter?

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:05 PM
jran76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know you already read my review on the Tein's, but I would highly recommend them. I did not think the dampening adjustment was that big of a deal until I actually adjusted it and found that being able to adjust it to my liking was a great feature. I may not adjust it again, but being able to dial in the ride to what you like is a huge benefit.

I think the fact they come with upper pillow ball mounts and are dampening adjustable more than justifies the price over the Tanabe's and KW's. Also, having the upper mounts already on them makes installing them easier, you don't have to re-use any stock parts (except the rear spring isolators), and it will be much easier to go back to stock if needed later down the road.

To me, the Tein SS-P's are a no brainer for the quality, spring rates, adjustability, and what you get for the price.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:22 PM
pudula

Originally Posted by jran76
I know you already read my review on the Tein's, but I would highly recommend them. I did not think the dampening adjustment was that big of a deal until I actually adjusted it and found that being able to adjust it to my liking was a great feature. I may not adjust it again, but being able to dial in the ride to what you like is a huge benefit.

I think the fact they come with upper pillow ball mounts and are dampening adjustable more than justifies the price over the Tanabe's and KW's. Also, having the upper mounts already on them makes installing them easier, you don't have to re-use any stock parts (except the rear spring isolators), and it will be much easier to go back to stock if needed later down the road.

To me, the Tein SS-P's are a no brainer for the quality, spring rates, adjustability, and what you get for the price.
Do they have adjustable camber plates up front? Not one online retailer has actual photos of the application specific units! So frustrating...
Old 09-02-2010, 03:17 PM
thejumpoff

I've just recently switched from OEM to the Tanabe Sustecs and I can safely say that they are pretty comfortable. I, like you, had no plans to track the car. I basically wanted a streetable setup that I could live with from day to day without breaking my pocket book.

Reason I chose Tanabe's were because of all the reviews on here of how comfortable they were and I now can attest to those claims.

I could have gone with something that had dampening adjust ability, higher spring rates, or that already came with upper mounts but I couldn't justify the extra $400+ that I would need to spend. If you're installing the coils yourself, removing the upper mount is not a huge issue, it may tack on more time to your install but nothing outrageous.

I agree that being able to adjust your dampening is a plus but if you don't track, I'd see that as a waste of money IMHO.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:46 PM
jran76

Originally Posted by pudula
Do they have adjustable camber plates up front? Not one online retailer has actual photos of the application specific units! So frustrating...
Camber plates are not possible on a car with upper control arms and shocks like ours. The only option you have to adjust camber on the front is some type of adjustable upper control arm. Currently, SPC and Kenetix are the only companies that makes these. I just installed the SPC, and I am not sure if a completely like them. They will do the job, but they have their drawbacks. I also heard SPL is in the process of making some, and I would like to see what they come out with. I have liked their stuff in the past.

On coilovers for our cars, there are really only 3 main options that I can think of:
1. True coilovers for the rear vs. separate shock/spring OEM mounting location.
2. Pillow ball upper mounts
3. Some type of dampening adjustment.

All coilovers will give you some type of height adjustment, and spring rates will vary.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:12 PM
pudula

Originally Posted by jran76
Camber plates are not possible on a car with upper control arms and shocks like ours. The only option you have to adjust camber on the front is some type of adjustable upper control arm. Currently, SPC and Kenetix are the only companies that makes these. I just installed the SPC, and I am not sure if a completely like them. They will do the job, but they have their drawbacks. I also heard SPL is in the process of making some, and I would like to see what they come out with. I have liked their stuff in the past.

On coilovers for our cars, there are really only 3 main options that I can think of:
1. True coilovers for the rear vs. separate shock/spring OEM mounting location.
2. Pillow ball upper mounts
3. Some type of dampening adjustment.

All coilovers will give you some type of height adjustment, and spring rates will vary.
FINALLY, some true info! Thanks!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:08 PM
G_rev

Tanabe and call it a day =]

Tanabe USA Inc. - Sustec Pro S-0C Coilover
Old 09-03-2010, 02:37 PM
g35sedan5at

are you considering BC Racing coils? I love mine and while i know they are not up to par with the KW's dampening wise i would say they compete nicely with Tein and Tanabe, you can also get them for just under a grand shipped.

Dampening adjustable, seperate ride height adjustment, they are the best "bang for your buck coils imo