Lowering g sedan on 20's what should i know before hand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 02:03 PM
jarena2104

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering g sedan on 20's what should i know before hand?

I got the bc coilovers and im waiting for my 20 inch wheels to come in, just wondering how much fender gap im gonna have after a 1 inch drop? Will i need to go lower and if so what else am i gonna need to finish off the drop? A arms? Camber kits? Any suggestions would be very appreciated for a newbie like me
Old 08-30-2010, 02:19 PM
jran76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jarena2104
I got the bc coilovers and im waiting for my 20 inch wheels to come in, just wondering how much fender gap im gonna have after a 1 inch drop? Will i need to go lower and if so what else am i gonna need to finish off the drop? A arms? Camber kits? Any suggestions would be very appreciated for a newbie like me
Need more information. What is the width and offset of the wheels, and what are the tire sizes? How much fender gap do you want?

The need for camber kits will depend on how much you drop you car. If you stay around 1 inch, you can get pretty close to factory specs without. Any lower and your negative camber will go up. At that point it really depends on how much tire wear you can handle.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:22 PM
jarena2104

ok well here is where i just got really confused, im putting on 20x9 and 20x10 vossen cv1's the offset i believe (and i could be incorrect) 20+ on front 42+ on rear...... the tires i have no idea what im getting yet because its awd and i have to keep the diameter the same... so any help on that id appreciate it. i was going to get the bc coilovers but then i figured why not save a a little money and get the eibach pro kit ......(which i called them today and they just released a new AWD kit for us x owners) the drop is 1.4 in front and 1.1 in rear according to what there saying. im looking for minimal fender gap maybe my finger if that.....the wheels i got are concave wheels and i want them to sit flush.

on all that my other problem is they dont make any f@ckin shocks and struts A/M so that leaves me with buying stock struts and shocks to put in with the new springs... my car has 45k miles so its pretty much time anyway. idk im thinking it would prob be better to get the bc coilovers but then i gotta set the drop....

ANY HELP HOLLA AT YOUR BOY LMFAO!!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 12:26 AM
jran76

ok well here is where i just got really confused, im putting on 20x9 and 20x10 vossen cv1's the offset i believe (and i could be incorrect) 20+ on front 42+ on rear...... the tires i have no idea what im getting yet because its awd and i have to keep the diameter the same... so any help on that id appreciate it. i was going to get the bc coilovers but then i figured why not save a a little money and get the eibach pro kit ......(which i called them today and they just released a new AWD kit for us x owners) the drop is 1.4 in front and 1.1 in rear according to what there saying. im looking for minimal fender gap maybe my finger if that.....the wheels i got are concave wheels and i want them to sit flush.

on all that my other problem is they dont make any f@ckin shocks and struts A/M so that leaves me with buying stock struts and shocks to put in with the new springs... my car has 45k miles so its pretty much time anyway. idk im thinking it would prob be better to get the bc coilovers but then i gotta set the drop....

ANY HELP HOLLA AT YOUR BOY LMFAO!!!!
I ran Eibach springs on my RWD, and it gave me about a 1 finger gap all around. I just switched to coilovers (Tein SS-P), and I like that they are adjustable, but it is completely up to you. I would personally recommend coilovers, but springs are fine for most.

If the wheels are really +20 front/+42 rear, the front will be pretty aggressive (it will stick out a lot). You will need run quite a bit of negative camber (over -2 degrees) or stretch your tires. The rear should be fine. I am running 20x9 (+25) and 20x10 (+35). My fronts rub with -1.8 degrees of camber and 245/35/20 tires.

So, if I were you.... I would first confirm the offsets. If it is the +20/+42:

You will need to stretch the front tires. You can go with something like a 235/35/20 front and 265/30/20 rear. This would give you some stretch, and keep the difference in diameters at 0.8% (probably as good as you are going to do). Ideally, you should run a 245/35/20 front, and 285/30/20 rear. This is really close to the stock circumference, and they are within 0.1% of each other. I just don't think you can do the 245 on the front with the +20 wheels.

I would run a rear camber kit. Since the rear wheel is not as aggressive, the rear kit will allow you to dial down the negative camber to the -1.2 to -1.5 range to save on tire wear, and give it a pretty flush look. The natural camber that comes with lowering your car should give you enough negative camber in the front with the stretched tires. If you decide you want more/less negative camber or less stretch on the tires, you could get a front kit.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:35 AM
jarena2104

i have to call about the front offset, all i know is i said i wanted it to be flush, but i def dont want to rub. plus im finding that there are no aftermarket shocks or stuts for the X model. so im thinking maybe i should go with the bc coilovers that way i can really get the right height for my wheels. im just bummed about spending 1200$ im going to be running the vossen black cv1's ill double check on that offset
Old 08-31-2010, 08:53 AM
jarena2104

to confirm the offsets on those vossens 38 front 42 rear they are concave wheels
Old 08-31-2010, 09:18 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^^Thats sounds more like it. Get the coils, you wont regret it. With those offset you should be able to drop it about as low as you want. I would recommend 1.5"-2" though and then you will probably want a camber kit for at least the rear.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:09 PM
jran76

Yup, you should be fine. Go with the 245/35/20 fronts and 285/30/20 rears if you can.

You can use Eibach springs with your stock shocks. They may wear out faster though. There are a lot of advantages to the coilovers. A camber kit for the rear would help too....
Old 08-31-2010, 04:21 PM
jarena2104

will those offsets and tires give me a flush look with the fenders, i hate when the wheels are in from the fender
Old 08-31-2010, 04:37 PM
jran76

will those offsets and tires give me a flush look with the fenders, i hate when the wheels are in from the fender
If the fronts are 20x9 +38, they will be pretty flush at stock height. If you are lowered, they will be in 5-10mm. I think something around a +30 is pretty flush when lowered. You can always add a small spacer later if you are not happy with the look. For reference, you can look at my pics. I am running 20x9 +25. So, my wheels are sitting out 13mm further than yours (about a 1/2"). I am lowered on Eibachs in the pics. As I mentioned, I am rubbing slightly with this setup (on the fender liner).

https://www.myg37.com/forums/picture...ml#post2960757

The rears should be pretty flush, and if you add the rear camber kit you can adjust camber a little to get them as flush as you would like.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:25 PM
jarena2104

im lowering 1-1.5 inches.... i doubt id rub the front wheel? does the ride quality suck when you lower.... i currently have the bc coil overs in a box sitting here with the kinetix camber and caster kit (full setup). so im confident i got a good setup to lower and with the 20" cv1's vossen i got i think it will round out the whole car. how low is a good look with 20's? i wanna know what i should tell my alignment guy what to set it at... also dude what front lip is that on your car its beauttttiiffffuuulll!!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:08 PM
jran76

It is a knockoff of the Kenstyle front lip, but one of the better ones for the 07-09 IMO....

I would install everything with about a 1 finger gap all around. You can always go lower later. This will give you a chance to get use to driving the car lowered. Then you can decide if you want to go lower later on.

You should be fine all the way around with no rubbing. If the fronts are 20x9 +38, I would align the front the factory specs if you can (under -1 degree). This will give you a more flush look. Probably the lower camber number the better.

For the rear, if it is a 20x10 +42, I would go a little higher; up to-1.4 to -1.5 degrees. I think the factory spec is under -1.2 or -1.3. If the wheels are 20x10.5 +42, you will need to go a little higher; maybe up to -1.6 or -1.7.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:28 PM
jarena2104

where can i get that knock off? someone keyed my whole car and its in the shop getting a full paint job so it inspired me to go a little nuts with the mods!!! would love to get my hands on one asap if you could be so kind. thanks for all the info by the way.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:12 PM
jarena2104

question will the tire size you gave me give me the stretched tire look? cause i dont want that at all.....
Old 09-02-2010, 05:38 PM
jran76

Originally Posted by jran76
Yup, you should be fine. Go with the 245/35/20 fronts and 285/30/20 rears if you can.
question will the tire size you gave me give me the stretched tire look? cause i dont want that at all.....
The above sizes will not be stretched. They are about as meaty as you can get on a sedan. Anything narrower will be stretched some.

Quick Reply: Lowering g sedan on 20's what should i know before hand?