Maybe stiffer suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:09 AM
TireFryer23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe stiffer suspension?

Hello everyone, I don't have a g37 myself but my mom got one a while back and we seem to agree on one negative thing from this car... at least for us...

Now first of my mom Isn't your typical mom. She likes to drive and wants a car that can take the twistys. Which her G37s does very well. The thing we both seem to dislike is the lack of feedback to the driver. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but her last car was an audi TT she had for years and loved it. Mostly because of the go cart like feel of it. The g37 seems to kind of "float" through the corners. It doesn't feel connected to the road very well (although it obviously is rather planted)

I'm thinking a little more aggressive springs might give her that go cart feel she is looking for. Would the Eibach pro-kit make a difference? I noticed while I was searching that a lot of people said that for these cars the pro-kit felt stock.

Any one else think this? I've always driven e46 chassis BMW's mostly and I have to say, although the g37 is faster and handles better than my unfortunately still mostly stock e46(just got it) I see where she is coming from.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:27 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
The G37 is 9,000 pounds heavier than a TT; it should feel like it floats by comparison.

Stiffer springs, stiffer front and rear sway bars, and some chassis bracing should help it feel more nimble.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:52 AM
TireFryer23

Originally Posted by Black Betty
The G37 is 9,000 pounds heavier than a TT; it should feel like it floats by comparison.

Stiffer springs, stiffer front and rear sway bars, and some chassis bracing should help it feel more nimble.
I understand the weight issue completely but the problem she is having isn't the handling of the car. Its the feedback from the car to the driver. For example: In my e46 I can feel when the car is about to break traction when cornering. I can feel when I am near the limit. This is also due to copious time behind the wheel of e46's I know, but still you can feel the road through the car. Her TT was the same way. The G37 has a much easier ride to it. Pretty much she wants an almost track car feel to it.

Its funny, my uncle just bought a c5 vette and he is complaining because everything is too stiff and my mother is complaining because her g37 is to smooth!
Old 08-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Philip8969

Put some coil-overs and some fat sway bars on it and I guarantee she will get all the feed back she wants. Strut tower brace wouldn't hurt either.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:19 AM
w0ady

sway bars are a must and coilovers would be your next best upgrade especially for the feedback issue. im super happy with my bc coils for the street and track.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
How about tires? The stock crap is just crap! Put some real rubber under there first. The maybe look into beefier sway bars.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:51 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Sorry to say, but if your mom thinks she is going to get a "go cart feel" from the G37, I think she is setting herself up for disappointment. The difference in the wheelbase of the G and a TT alone is over a foot and a half, roughly.

I think springs will improve the handling and response a little bit, but will not get anywhere close to the desired result. I installed the Pro-Kit in my G and, although I got closer to what I was looking for, I was not completely satisfied. Coilovers are in my very near future. Also, beefier sway bars will help with the body roll and "floating" feeling.

Good luck and keep us updated...
Old 08-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

I disagree 100%. The "go cart feel" is very easy to obtain with the G37.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:29 PM
g35sedan5at

good tires, coilovers, sway bars. springs will lower the kit therefore bringing the center of gravity down but if you want stiffness and more feedback coils are the only way to go.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:06 PM
WPPJR30

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
I disagree 100%. The "go cart feel" is very easy to obtain with the G37.
I'm curious to see how you have obtained it, Kevin. This "go-cart" feeling could be subjective, I suppose. What feels like a go-cart to one person, may not necessarily feel like one to another. Personally, I am not very impressed with the results my mild suspension modifications have rendered to this point. I am researching coilovers at the moment with the hopes that I will find a level of handling, responsiveness, and comfort with which I am satisfied.

I knew coming from a Z that I was not going to get the same sports car feel from a stock G, but my goal now is to get as close to that feeling as possible. We'll see...
Old 08-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Well all in all you hit the nail on the head by saying it's "subjective". What is a go-cart to me may be a slush-box to you. I put the same eibach pro-kit on. I also installed every GT Spec brace minus the fender braces and m-brace. Also added Hotchkis swaybars and polyurethane bushings. The way the car is set-up right now, the stock tires are killing it. The car corners almost as good as a C5 Corvette with a Z51 suspension (using a 97 as reference) with the exception of the tires squeeling like pigs. I love to drive this thing into corners agressively, but even before I'm in the corner the tires are past their limits. I've been on the verge of buying wheels and tires for this car for a while now but I got other wants as well (thinking 2003 Z06).

Coilovers are so iffy in my mind. I can guaranty 90%+ of the coilovers that are installed on G37's have never been adjusted. And those that have been adjusted, have mostly been adjusted for ride height only. I would love to try some coilovers myself but again, the tires are the limiting factor right now.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:46 PM
WPPJR30

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
Well all in all you hit the nail on the head by saying it's "subjective". What is a go-cart to me may be a slush-box to you. I put the same eibach pro-kit on. I also installed every GT Spec brace minus the fender braces and m-brace. Also added Hotchkis swaybars and polyurethane bushings. The way the car is set-up right now, the stock tires are killing it. The car corners almost as good as a C5 Corvette with a Z51 suspension (using a 97 as reference) with the exception of the tires squeeling like pigs. I love to drive this thing into corners agressively, but even before I'm in the corner the tires are past their limits. I've been on the verge of buying wheels and tires for this car for a while now but I got other wants as well (thinking 2003 Z06).

Coilovers are so iffy in my mind. I can guaranty 90%+ of the coilovers that are installed on G37's have never been adjusted. And those that have been adjusted, have mostly been adjusted for ride height only. I would love to try some coilovers myself but again, the tires are the limiting factor right now.
Thank you. You can expect a PM from me shortly...
Old 08-22-2010, 05:45 PM
w0ady

LOL. you cant just judge handling with eibach pro springs. progressive street springs for ride comfort do not give you amazing handling. like i said OP, look into a good set of coils (bc if you're on a budget). it was definitely an improvement for me going with the eibachs and stillen sways over stock but then even more amazing with coilovers and a strut bar. with good suspension, any car can handle great.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:24 PM
WPPJR30

Originally Posted by w0ady
LOL. you cant just judge handling with eibach pro springs. progressive street springs for ride comfort do not give you amazing handling. like i said OP, look into a good set of coils (bc if you're on a budget). it was definitely an improvement for me going with the eibachs and stillen sways over stock but then even more amazing with coilovers and a strut bar. with good suspension, any car can handle great.
Exactly... Although we should probably keep in mind that this is his mom's car.

Unless that is his mom, I would tend to doubt that she's anxious to drop a ton of money into her suspension. (Although, I could be wrong.)

But, it's all a matter of opinion. Keep in mind that some people are perfectly satisfied with the suspension performance of a stock G and those people might tell you that they prefer the performance of their car to the ride of one with $10,000 in suspension modification. That said, one cannot make (or trust) a blanket statement that "Part A is the way to go," or "Part A is better than Part B." Every member opinion is based on their personal experience. No one has experienced every part available or every combination of parts available.

The OP specifically asked about Eibach, so it's only logical to expect that those members who have experience with the Pro-Kit would respond, as they have driven both a stock G and one with the set-up about which the OP inquired. In my opinion, the Eibach Pro-Kit is an improvement over stock, but still leaves a bit to be desired.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:32 PM
yogregb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been on this forum over a year and the consenses is sway bars are the biggest bang for the buck/change you can do on these cars, hands down. good luck, this will be my next mod...