Sway Bars on AWD G???

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Philip8969

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sway Bars on AWD G???

Hi guys this is my first post on this forum, so don't tear into me to much if this information is on here elsewhere... I couldn't find it.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the Stillen or Hotchkis sways will fit on a 2010 G37xS sedan? The reason I ask is on the Stillen site both are listed and the Stillen bars explicitly say that they don't fit the AWD G's. The Hotchkis bars, however, don't say anything. I contacted Stillen about this and the rep I spoke with said that the rear bar would fit, but to the best of her knowledge there is a clearance issue with the front bar. She was, however, unsure about the Hotchkis bars. Confusing....

I would be curious to know if anyone has actually tried putting sways on the AWD G? This sounds like one of those times where they say it doesn't fit simply because they haven't tested it. I am under the impression there are very few AWD G's where stillin is located. Also, does anyone know if the front bar is actually shaped differently on the AWD G? I know its a different part number, but might that just relate to stiffness?

If this is just one of those times where they haven't done a test fit I am going to just buy a set a try them out.

Any input on this would be much appreciated!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:20 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
I have an x sedan too. I could swear I saw a post at G35driver (probably at least a year ago way before I was shopping for a new car) that said the rear sways would fit. But I didn't pay that much attention back then. I'm pretty sure it's a no-go for the front though because of the AWD.

Don't chisel what I've said in stone though. I'm sure others will chime in about this.

***EDIT***

Found this on driver:

http://g35driver.com/forums/v36-brak...ar-sizing.html

Lots of good info.

Last edited by TheLocNar; 07-10-2010 at 02:52 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Philip8969

Thanks. That link certainly did have a lot of good info.

Spoke to the Stillen rep again and she said she would sell me just the rear bar for $160. I am going to go ahead and purchase it probably within the next week. Should be a good upgrade since the rear bar on the X is so small. I will post a review after I get it installed.

Probably should get the GTspec strut tower brace to stiffen up the front a little bit too....
Old 07-10-2010, 06:06 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Philip8969
Thanks. That link certainly did have a lot of good info.

Spoke to the Stillen rep again and she said she would sell me just the rear bar for $160. I am going to go ahead and purchase it probably within the next week. Should be a good upgrade since the rear bar on the X is so small. I will post a review after I get it installed.

Probably should get the GTspec strut tower brace to stiffen up the front a little bit too....
I have a stillen front sway FS for like 50 bucks if you wanna "try" and make it work lol
Old 07-10-2010, 08:01 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

LOL I think he'd need a:

Old 07-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Philip8969

Haha thanks for the offer Stoof, but I think I will have to pass. Car is a little to new and to nice for me to be doing some ghetto rigging lol
Old 07-11-2010, 05:47 PM
SFG37S

Why not contact Hotchkis direct for a heads up?
Old 07-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Philip8969

No point. Read through the thread on G35driver. It should answer just about any question you could have.

Although I should contact them and tell them to get a move on making a front sway for the x. I know quite a few people here in northern va that would buy one. Aside from that I am sure they would make a killing throughout the northeast... most of the G's I see around here are awd.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:56 AM
bat6wc

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
i swapped the rear awd bar for the RWD and it made a big difference. i avoiding aftermarket as I didnt want the rear sway to be super stiff while the front only had an upper strut bar. added the gt spec m and rear tie and its perfect for DD, imo.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Philip8969

Stillen rear sway bar is on its way. I think it will be a good fit with the front bar on the X since it is stiffer than the front bar on the rwd. I will post up some pics and a review when it shows up.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Philip8969

Bar is here... just waiting on the new bushings now. They are supposed to be here on Saturday.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:39 AM
NCNC

Many posts/info I found are for the AWD Sedan. How about the Coupe? Does it work the same way?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Philip8969

The suspensions on the coupe and the sedan are pretty similar. I know that the sways, strut braces, and other braces (gt spec stuff) are all interchangeable between them. Also, I believe they use the same camber and toe arms.

So, if you have an awd coupe you are still out of luck for a front sway bar.

There are some differences though. For example, the springs on the coupe and sedan are not interchangeable.

Hope this answers your question.

Last edited by Philip8969; 07-23-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:59 AM
Philip8969

Ok, so I got the Stillen rear sway bar and the new bushings installed!!!

FYI you HAVE to get rwd bushings to make the bar fit the X.

The installation was fairly straight forward. You simply lower the rear section of the exhaust, unbolt the frame mounts and end-links, slide the old bar out, and reverse to install the new one. The only thing that was challenging about this installation was the Stillen instructions. They say that you can lower the center section of the exhaust by unbolting the 2 hangers... I did this and the center section came down maybe half an inch. There was absolutely no way to "slide" the old bar out and the new one in with this amount of clearance. Trust me, I tried. You will accomplish nothing but scratching up your new bar. However, this really isn't a big deal since the rear section of the exhaust can be lowered by simply removing three nuts around each muffler. If you lower the entire rear of the exhaust there is way more than enough clearance and the install is a piece of cake.

As far as handling goes this is a must have upgrade. I did some back-roads driving and a few maneuvers in a big p-lot to test it out. I must say that I am very happy with it. The under-steer problem the car had before has been pretty much eliminated and there is almost no body roll. The car now feels very well balanced and IMO is much more enjoyable to drive. I have the bar on the softer of the two settings and it in no way effects ride quality. After driving it around for a day I am not even going to bother trying the stiffer setting. It feels perfect just the way it is. I would highly recommend this to anyone with an X.

By the way there are some pics in my garage if your interested.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:35 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Nice! What exact bushings did you get btw?

Quick Reply: Sway Bars on AWD G???