View Poll Results: Which direction should I go with with the dropped vert?
Upgrade to lower profile 19s, add spacers, trim lining if needed on the rears.
30.77%
Go back to stock springs, rear only stock 19s, add spacers. Rake FTW!
11.54%
Wait for vert specific springs, that are not dumped in the rear for stock 19s.
19.23%
Wait for vert specifc coilovers, adjust height, add spacers.
38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Mini review with the eibach coupe springs + poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 01:02 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Mini review with the eibach coupe springs + poll

They definitely look good with 20s from those who've upgraded. I had planned on 15mm spacers with the stock rims however due to the weight it's looking dumped at the rear.

The good:
1. No body roll.
2. Looks hella awesome for the stock wheel setup I think.
3. Fender gap is gone
4. I'm more prone to be 5mph over or just at the speed limit on surface
streets.
5. Possible better gas mileage due to point #4

The bad:
1. Tucked look.
2. A little rubbing if driven aggressively, rear is dumped on stock tires.
3. Adding spacers will rub and I think even with the side lining trimmed.
4. Not really wanting to trim the lining.
5. Bumpy (with seat hop over road imperfections at 50-70 MPH)
6. Spending money on 20s is not an option.
7. Accelerating wear on shocks, struts

So I'm thinking of the following.

1.Keep it tucked for now and When the stock tires wear out, switch to lower profile tires, then add the 15mm spacers for a flush look. Likley trimming the lining would be required also. size would be front 245/35/19 and rear 265/30/19

>possible look maybe the low profile tires would give some clearance?

2.Go back to the stock springs for the rear and add the 15mm spacers now with the stock tires. This will not have any rubbing, I won't be 1 degree out of the max camber spec limit.No lining trimming required. No dumped look in the rear. More of a raked look. Eibach front springs will be kept. Upgrade tire later to 245/40/19 and 265/35/19(or higher)

>stock rear height.

3.Leave it as is is for now (tucked), wait for proper springs for the rear on the vert, so it's not so dumped. Maybe the 15mm spacers could be added with proper springs supporting the weight. It's not known if and when this may happen. Ideally a 1/2 inch drop on the sport model is ideal.

4.Leave it as it is for now (tucked),if option 1 does not work, wait for proper coilovers for the rear (+ front) on the vert. So it can be adjusted to not be so dumped. Install 15mm spacers then. It's not known if and when this may happen.

What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards option 1-4 in that order, but it's more like choosing between option 1 or 2.

Vote up and or post comments, thanks!
Old 06-09-2010, 03:22 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
thats really not "dumped" in the rear. Just trim the lining with a razor blade and get some spacers.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Your rides looking fine

Never go back to stock bro
Old 06-09-2010, 10:43 AM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^crazy Brazilian eyes.

I think the rear is fine. Have you gotten an alignment after the springs settled?
Old 06-09-2010, 11:17 AM
cereal2k

^ yep. Alignment was done the same day. I'm letting the springs settle after which I'll do a follow up.

@ sam. I hear that LOL. Normal driving is fine. No rubbing just driving normally. I just have to not take the turn on to the main road so briskly as I used to.

@ stoof. The current stock tires + 15mm spacers even if I get the lining trimed the tires will be hitting the fender. I guess I could always go with smaller spacers.
I really don't want to trim the liner though. I've read another thread regarding using double sided tape to tuck the liner higher up and I'm considering that as an interim aid.

Thanks for the feeback so far!
Old 06-09-2010, 11:39 AM
pwlorraine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It does look nice but the two overwhelming factors are (1) rubbing, and (2) ride quality. If you are driving the car in a less enjoyable way because of this mod then I'd seriously look at undoing this. With no rubbing I'd live with a slightly harder ride. Usually you want the struts matched to the springs to keep the wheels on the ground - otherwise you bounce off and lose braking, steering ability plus you risk scalloping your tires. The ride on my Audi A6 was terrible after I added the Eibach springs and it ate tires until I put in matched struts - which came out a year or two later. It was still low but the ride improved a lot. I didn't have rubbing though.

Peter
Old 06-09-2010, 10:59 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
On the vert I say either go with stock rear and tanabe front or just wait for stock springs... Its a little too low in the rear with the eibachs.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dude leave it the way it is now, looks real good
Old 06-10-2010, 12:17 AM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it might be some lens distortion but that rear camber looks all kinds of off...
Old 06-10-2010, 01:57 PM
cereal2k

Originally Posted by pwlorraine
It does look nice but the two overwhelming factors are (1) rubbing, and (2) ride quality. If you are driving the car in a less enjoyable way because of this mod then I'd seriously look at undoing this. With no rubbing I'd live with a slightly harder ride. Usually you want the struts matched to the springs to keep the wheels on the ground - otherwise you bounce off and lose braking, steering ability plus you risk scalloping your tires. The ride on my Audi A6 was terrible after I added the Eibach springs and it ate tires until I put in matched struts - which came out a year or two later. It was still low but the ride improved a lot. I didn't have rubbing though.

Peter
Thanks for the feedback Peter. I've only rubbed once and the ride without bad roads is good. I like feeling the road. The question becomes when I take it on vacation with the wife and luggae (light) on the bad seat will there be items 1 and 2 over little bumps or dips.
I hope whoever makes coilovers makes some after market struts.
I was looking at maybe tanabe nf210 rear springs with a 0.7 inch drop( for coupes). Someone suggested coupe sport springs so that's a possibility. However I suspect due to weight it would still be low with the stock wheels and tires in the rear.

Originally Posted by mw09g37
it might be some lens distortion but that rear camber looks all kinds of off...
The rear camber is 1 degree more negative that what the max spec limit is stated. It is noticable. More pics are in the vert pic share. Camber arms and toe bolts are planned.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:53 AM
cereal2k

Update: After 2 weeks of settling, got a re-alignment. These are the specs with the stock rims/tires.

So no applicable rear camber kit for the vert is available and this will be the setup with possible dismounting tires from the rims, swapping them from side to side, remounting on the rims to even out the wear till I replace with directional tires.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:18 PM
cereal2k

It's that time! The stock rear tires are showing some heavy wear. I'm gonna get some directional tires and do unmounting/remounting and switch side to side for rotations to hopefully last for more than 4 months. However I need something just a bit higher in the rear for the stock camber adjustment to be at least in spec.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:38 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So no Eibachs for mine....as I can see what's going on.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:55 PM
cereal2k

Originally Posted by cvipgo
So no Eibachs for mine....as I can see what's going on.
OK, you got a good look at your friend's shop? I'm wondering if the H&Rs would be any better, but their reported drop height is low also, so I'm not trusting to try that. It's a given the camber will be waaaay out of spec with out a vert specific camber kit. Also note, I did not expect the stock tires to last that long as they are not directional and I could not move them from side to side (with dismounting and remounting). So don't be tooo discouraged It was bound to happen sooner with the stock tires, but I was hoping to at least go 6 mths.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:45 AM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
[flame suit on]

Lee -
If the end game is simply a drop, not a stiffer set up or improved rebound, why not try cutting the stock springs? It could be a very inexpensive alternative for raising up the rear a bit from the Eibachs and helping sort out the camber...
Lemme know.

Quick Reply: Mini review with the eibach coupe springs + poll