Must have Suspension Mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 03:46 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by goomba
Lol stiffer and lower does not always equal better handling. Get springs if you care for drop more than handling or don't want to spend the money on coils.
Care to explain why you think that?

Stiffer springs will cause less body roll and lower center of gravity will give you better cornering ability.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:50 AM
dainjarouz
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stoof@180Custom

Stiffer springs will cause less body roll and lower center of gravity will give you better cornering ability.
stiffer springs on stock aka soft struts are a decent combo for every day driving. do a track day on that setup then another on coilovers or even the stock setup...you will notice a difference
Old 06-04-2010, 02:37 PM
G_rev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my tanabe swaybars! Best mod ev4rrrrrrrrrrr
Old 06-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Coilovers.... End Thread.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:14 AM
goomba

It's a common misconception that simply lowering the car and installing stiffer springs will increase cornering ability. Lowering a car too much will cause undesired to changes to suspension geometry unless you correct it via camber kits, roll centre adjust kits etc. Lowering springs alone are pretty much for looks only.

Stiffer springs without dampers to match the spring rates can also be detrimental to handling. Say if you have much stiffer than stock spring matched to a stock strut with not enough damping, a wheel traveling over a bump will behave like an underdamped oscillator and you'll be bouncing up and down. Stock suspension on a car is specifically engineered for stock ride height and matched spring rate and valving. A properly setup coilover suspension would be much preferred improvement over stiffer springs with the stock struts. That of course comes at an increased cost.

Last edited by goomba; 06-05-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:30 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a common misconception that simply lowering the car and installing stiffer springs will increase cornering ability. Lowering a car too much will cause undesired to changes to suspension geometry unless you correct it via camber kits, roll centre adjust kits etc. Lowering springs alone are pretty much for looks only.

Stiffer springs without dampers to match the spring rates can also be detrimental to handling. Say if you have much stiffer than stock spring matched to a stock strut with not enough damping, a wheel traveling over a bump will behave like an underdamped oscillator and you'll be bouncing up and down. Stock suspension on a car is specifically engineered for stock ride height and matched spring rate and valving. A properly setup coilover suspension would be much preferred improvement over stiffer springs with the stock struts. That of course comes at an increased cost.
I wouldn't say springs are for looks only end of story, Eibach are engineered for the stock suspension and do provide some benefit to handling but there's only so much you can do replacing springs alone and there is a compromise as you mentioned in the second paragraph and that being a negative impact to comfort and shocks that are not optimally tuned.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:10 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Eibach / Tanabe I believe are only 5% stiffer than stock- hardly an extreme compromise to suspension geometry with a camber kit.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:52 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Well OBVIOUSLY properly tuned coilovers are better than drop springs over stock shocks. I completely agree.

But like RedG37SNC said, the springs out for our cars are tuned specifically for our stock suspension.

Im not saying you can just put drop springs on and you have the best handling ever and can go track the car, but it will handle a little better than stock.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:49 PM
mozy

H&Rs are a very comfortable ride but are very low. Eibachs arent that low but the ride sucks IMHO.
lolwut???

I've had Eibach's on my coupe and I'm on H&R's right now. I'm guessing you either haven't actually tried both or you're confused.

Eibach == basically stock ride, just as smooth and not too low. The front drop is good, but the back has a bit of gap still.
H&R == dumped all around and constant bottom-out. Better handling but the car feels unstable because of every little bump on the road. The back feels/looks good but the front is TOO LOW.

With Eibachs, the drop is minimal and the springs aren't as stiff. I could still go over speedbumps and most potholes/dips don't bother me. With H&R I have to actively avoid ALL speedbumps (no chance) and constantly watch for potholes. Road feel is jarring on all but the smoothest roads. The freeway I drive on daily now feels like I'm driving over railroad tracks due to the undulations.

I'm not sure what the definition of "better ride" is here. The Eibachs are a better ride in comfort terms, the H&R's are a better ride in handling terms (assuming you're driving on smooth silky surfaces). The stock struts aren't a good match for H&R's and I'm 100% positive they're being stressed too much.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:52 AM
SGT40

Well i have a lot to think about before i decide which route to go with suspension...... but I Like the Look of the H&R drop. But also like the reviews of the Eibach springs.... Oh well one day ill decide.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:34 PM
rAiN
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
eibach or any kind of springs are only meant to improves the LOOK of your car.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Spaded21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mozy
Eibach == basically stock ride, just as smooth and not too low.
Agreed, I just got these installed and I can't tell a difference in terms of ride comfort
Old 09-15-2010, 02:41 AM
strdr19

How about the Tien s techs vs h&r's? The eibach drop is not enough for me.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:02 PM
A_Palaroan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by STOOF
I just dont like the ride. When you hit bumps your passengers will fly through the roof.
thats not true i have eibachs and they are the closest to stock ride then any other spring.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:48 PM
D_Nyholm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 Good post

Quick Reply: Must have Suspension Mods