Caliper Covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:18 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dkmura
Caliper covers are for posers. Rather than any sort of pure performance, they represent the kind of fakery that is particularly distasteful. Better to use the OEM Infiniti calipers (unpainted, please) than this sort of crappy imagry.
Well okay then. It's his car, he doesn't need everyone else here to approve of his tastes. I was under the impression from what he posted that the OEM Infiniti brake covers wouldn't fit.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nogoodname
Here:

Wow, that's really strange looking. Why would anyone do that? The calipers look too damn large for the rotor...a very "mismatched" look.

Your brakes are fine. I promise you that very few people notice them either way, but you can be sure that they will be noticed - and I don't mean in a good way - if you put these covers on.

What could you hope to gain from this? You know they're fake, anyone that knows anything at all about cars knows their fake, etc. Your mom might fall for it, but that's hardly worth the time or effort.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:08 PM
SM_Shadowman

Okay, I think I'm getting the picture now. I was more under the impression the OP was just trying to make it look a bit nicer, not necessarily fake a BBK. But perhaps it will be perceived the wrong way. Kind of like fake portholes or this:
The Ultimate Car Accessory: The Faux Stick-On Sunroof

Still though, it's your car, do whatever you want to it.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:10 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by G hits the spot
I didn't mean to invoke a face palm...we do have a touchy forum I see.
If you try the web site calipercovers.com,they have a video that actually shows these reduce the temperature of the calipers after severe brake use.(30 to 50 degrees average)

So one could make an argument that they are performance enhancers?

Still say Infinite could have done a nicer job on the aesthetics of the calipers,considering the Sport 19" are classy.
They aren't. There's no way that they do anything for performance. They are just covers.

I won't throw the facepalm at you though! As has been said, it's your car!

Have you thought about getting the stock calipers painted? I see nothing wrong with that, despite what some may think.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:48 AM
ucla bruin

Hahah the fake sun roof is hilarious.

How would the caliper cover help reduce temperature? Sounds like a marketing gimmick to me.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
how exactly would something that covers up the caliper from any direct airflow lower the temperature in any way?

If I were you, i'd do one of the following options:

a) Buy a used Infiniti BBK
b) Paint the stock calipers something subtle like flat black (just to get rid of the stock pot metal look)
c) Just leave them the way they are.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
how exactly would something that covers up the caliper from any direct airflow lower the temperature in any way?
+1 I bet these things get in the way when trying to actually change out pads as well.

It's amazing to see the lengths people will go to in order to convince random strangers that they own something better than what they have.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:27 PM
SM_Shadowman

Before he buys a bbk, what size wheels does the xS sedan come with?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:38 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
18x8. They won't clear a bbk kit.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:49 AM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
they should with spacers. 18" size isn't a problem
Old 05-27-2010, 10:46 PM
G hits the spot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apparently they act as a heat sink when the brakes get hot under heavy use.(they are high grade aluminum)

I'm not trying to be a poser,but just wanted a better looking wheel,and the stock calipers suck. (the 19" upgrades are a thing of beauty)

Try the website for pictures and videos calipercovers.com ,they actually have them in the colour of your choice. (silver with black hex nuts look the cleanest)

Considering all the cosmetic mods this forum discusses,why is this one taboo?
Old 05-28-2010, 12:30 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Considering all the cosmetic mods this forum discusses,why is this one taboo?
Most cosmetic mods improve the looks without trying to convey something they aren't. Oversized colored caliper covers try to give the looks of an improved aftermarket braking system to a very casual observer, but any basic auto enthusiast would see them for what they are~Similar to someone buying name brand knockoff jewelry for a fraction of the price, but anyone that knows jewelry would know that it's a cheap fraud.
You spent a lot of money for an upscale auto marqee, if it's looks your after just save a bit more and get the real deal. This forum isn't overly touchy, we just appreciate positive things that you can do to the G. Similar to the guy posting those thick Chrome pillar covers~these items fit in w/ cars that are cheap that are trying to stand out a bit, not on cars that have already "arrived".
BTW, if you really like the way they look and you think you'll be happy with them, no need to ask us. It's really what you like that matters.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:12 PM
G hits the spot

The calipers just look cheap on such a nice car.The point is to give the wheels a cleaner look (silver with small black hex nuts),than the molded unfinished hairpins that Infiniti put on the 18" option.
I had a Boxster previously,and they were bright red with the Porsche name lettered on them.Not a Civic tuner look,but definitely flashy.
I consider this a minor cosmetic upgrade,not a" look I have great brakes " on my car.

Too bad we can't get the 19" option on the sedan,that would solve this debate.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:31 PM
G hits the spot

I found a picture of the silver version with the black hex nuts,and I think they are available without the lettering on them.
They appear to be subtle and clean looking,but they do cost $200+( they are bolted on,not glued or taped.
Attached Thumbnails Caliper Covers-17016-s-mgp-sa_1222265412.jpg  
Old 05-28-2010, 10:35 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
The calipers just look cheap on such a nice car.The point is to give the wheels a cleaner look (silver with small black hex nuts),than the molded unfinished hairpins that Infiniti put on the 18" option.
I had a Boxster previously,and they were bright red with the Porsche name lettered on them.Not a Civic tuner look,but definitely flashy.
I consider this a minor cosmetic upgrade,not a" look I have great brakes " on my car.

Too bad we can't get the 19" option on the sedan,that would solve this debate.
Don't get me wrong, I agree w/ you 100% that it's a shame Infiniti couldn't have invested what probably comes out to about 5-10bucks when mass produced, some nice cast iron outer caliper casings that look nice. Just something simple like on the new Camaro SS like a black iron case w/ Infiniti stamped on it would be great. Oh well, at least the rest of the car's on target unlike the Hyundai Gen Coupe that has bright red Brembos, but cut corners in the many other places

Quick Reply: Caliper Covers