No need for brake fluid flush?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 11:14 AM
AUC2MIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No need for brake fluid flush?

I'm looking through the scheduled maintenance, and nowhere do I see a brake fluid flush... normally this is recommended once yearly, at the latest once every 2 years... Am I missing something? All I see is 'inspect' brake fluid

Also, is it true that the fuel filter NEVER needs to be replaced?
Old 05-19-2010, 11:15 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I would assume by inspect they mean inspect and change it if necessary (but, checking that isn't a bad idea, we all know what happens when you assume)

and the fuel filter, unless it goes out or something shouldn't need to be no
Old 05-19-2010, 11:25 AM
AUC2MIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel filter I can somewhat understand since it is an in-tank type... However, I would still replace it personally....

BUT brake fluid? Those are must flush on at least a bi-annual basis... I can't see them changing it after they 'inspect' it... or else they would only 'inspect' the engine air filter, diff oil, tranny oil, etc...
Old 05-19-2010, 11:27 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah I'm really just grasping at straws as to why it's written like that. I have no reason to think one way or the other...it does seem something that needs to be flushed, but maybe not maybe one of the infiniti guys on here will chime in
Old 05-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Under "normal" street driving conditions, I'd recommend you change the fluid every 2 years or 30k miles, roughly. If you're using a "high performance" (totally unnecessary for street use) brake fluid, your intervals need to be shorter. Also, check your brake lines.

Infiniti says "inspect" but it really means "inspect and replace as needed; you'll probably need to replace it". They will never flat out say "replace at x miles" because that won't necessarily apply to everyone; they're just covering themselves.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:12 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake fluid absorbs water (yes, even from the atmosphere)...and water tends to cause corrosion or rust on brake components, so it is a good idea to flush out old brake fluid before it absorbs too much water.

You can buy inexpensive strips that you dip into your reservoir that will tell you if you should flush the fluid.

Strip Dip brake fluid test - How to use it
The following users liked this post:
Nico-derm (02-20-2018)
Old 05-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
Brake fluid absorbs water (yes, even from the atmosphere)...and water tends to cause corrosion or rust on brake components, so it is a good idea to flush out old brake fluid before it absorbs too much water.

You can buy inexpensive strips that you dip into your reservoir that will tell you if you should flush the fluid.

Strip Dip brake fluid test - How to use it
Yup the fluid is hygroscopic - definitely attracts water and in addition to rusting your lines and components it also lowers the boiling point of the fluid which will eventually cause the brakes to fail due to overheated fluid in heavy brake applications.