Brake Vibrations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 03:25 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Exclamation Brake Vibrations?

Its been a week since I installed my new pads and rotors. I have the hawk hp plus pads with stoptech drilled rotors. I notice at speeds above 40mph, when I go to brake I hear a sort of a jittery sound. The car doesnt vibrate or anything, its just the sound as if something is stuck on the rotors and causing that sound this sound when in contact with the pads. Is this normal for new rotors as part of the "break in" period? Btw the HP Plus pads are just fantastic and they bite like crazy! stock pads had nothing on these! Anyways any input would be appreciated..
Old 04-02-2010, 09:57 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Hmm I haven't noticed anything like that with mine and I just put on almost the exact same set up. Stoptech drilled/slotted rotors with hawk ceramic pads instead. Did you make sure and bead the brakes in properly right after you installed the new pads?
Old 04-02-2010, 10:07 AM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
certain combinations of brake pads and rotors cause a lot of noise. I had hawk ceramics and powerslots and they were very noisy; stopped on demand though.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

I havent gotten the brakes bled just quite yet, I have the fluids, just waiting for time. Maybe the abrasiveness of the pads is causing the noise?
Old 04-02-2010, 03:00 PM
beerme986

bleeding the brakes would not help with the noise, just the feel of the brake pedal.

if you still have your old OEM pads, you could try changing them back to those with the new rotors. from their you can determine if the type of pads are the cause
Old 04-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
It's the drilled rotors. They make more noise and feel harsher than regular rotors.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Goonz
Its been a week since I installed my new pads and rotors. I have the hawk hp plus pads with stoptech drilled rotors. I notice at speeds above 40mph, when I go to brake I hear a sort of a jittery sound. The car doesnt vibrate or anything, its just the sound as if something is stuck on the rotors and causing that sound this sound when in contact with the pads. Is this normal for new rotors as part of the "break in" period? Btw the HP Plus pads are just fantastic and they bite like crazy! stock pads had nothing on these! Anyways any input would be appreciated..
Did you bed them in properly? HP+ is one of those "combination" compromise pads that are streetable, but can withstand moderate track use. As such, they're noisy, and especially so unless you bed them in. I'd recommend following their bedding procedure late at night when you have the streets to yourself.

It has nothing to do with drilled or slotted rotors; pads are not "flexible" and there is no material being scraped off, contrary to popular belief. They are there for outgassing (which is not common on a modern street pad).
Old 04-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

i dont follow, what do you mean "bed" them in?
Old 04-02-2010, 06:08 PM
wakeboardr116

When ever you put new pads on you need to make sure and match them up with the rotor properly. This is called beding in or burnishing them. Here are the instructions for them from hawks site.

Burnishing Instructions

Burnishing Instructions

1. After installing new brake pads, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying moderate pressure.
2. Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph.
DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
3. Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.
After step 4 your new pads are ready for use.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:08 PM
wakeboardr116

This is from their site and explains what the procedure does.

Note:
Hawk Performance burnishes its High Performance Street brake pads as a final step in the factory, but all brake pads have to be bedded-in with the rotors (new or used) that they will be used against. Properly bedding-in new brake pads results in a transfer film being generated at the pad and rotor interface to maximize brake performance.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:58 PM
DanMardik

I have this exact same problem with Stoptech / Project MU combo.

It has gotten better over 2000 miles but the slight vibration is still there decelerating from 40mph down to about 20mph
Old 04-03-2010, 12:52 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

ok cool, I did something similar, I did a moderate brake from 30mph to 0...then I did a 50mph to 0..lastly I did a 65mph to 0. I guess i'll have to do as they say above, what does it mean by "drag brakes"? like don't prolong the braking?
Old 04-03-2010, 01:32 AM
Mike

Originally Posted by Goonz
ok cool, I did something similar, I did a moderate brake from 30mph to 0...then I did a 50mph to 0..lastly I did a 65mph to 0. I guess i'll have to do as they say above, what does it mean by "drag brakes"? like don't prolong the braking?
Don't go to 0. You want to keep rolling; if you stop, it "sticks".
Old 04-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Mike
Don't go to 0. You want to keep rolling; if you stop, it "sticks".
alright thanks! I'll try this tonight..
Old 04-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Mike

Also, after you do your hard "slowdowns", keep rolling; you want to make sure the brakes cool evenly and completely.

The goal of the bedding procedure is to get a transfer layer onto the brake rotors, and to get the street pads up to full operating temperature. You want to get the temperature high enough that they're just about to fade; this is pretty high with the HP+, nearly double that of the OEM pads.

After you get them up to temp, you want to make sure they're cool, before parking the car. Just drive around at slow speeds (if you're bedding on the street) without using the brakes for about 3-5 minutes to make sure they're cool.

Don't come to a complete stop at any time, as that could potentially mess up the bedding process. A BIG deserted/empty parking lot would be great for this (you can accelerate, brake, turn around, and never stop rolling), unless you have access to a track to break in the pads at.

Quick Reply: Brake Vibrations?