Quick Answer Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Alto101
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Quick Answer Needed

My 2009 G37x is currently at the dealer for an oil change and diagnosis of a really annoying break squeal. I have upgraded the standard brakes to the Akebono sport brakes (OEM kit).

The tech called me and said that everything visually looks fine. He mentioned that the brake pad was not covering as much of the rotor as he would expect. At the time, he did not realize that my brakes were the standard Infiniti sport brakes since I have had them powdercoated. I asked him to look at another G37 with the sport brakes to see if my brake pad setup looks normal.

All the tech can offer for the brake squeal is a guess that I need to have the rotors turned, at a cost of $200 front and $200 rear.

Can anyone offer some advice as to what would be causing the brake squeal? The squeal was not present after I had the Akebono's installed for at least a couple of months.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Mikenicco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm having the same problem with the brakes squeling. Mine only happens when I'm driving slow and have to stop.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:51 AM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Alto101
My 2009 G37x is currently at the dealer for an oil change and diagnosis of a really annoying break squeal. I have upgraded the standard brakes to the Akebono sport brakes (OEM kit).

The tech called me and said that everything visually looks fine. He mentioned that the brake pad was not covering as much of the rotor as he would expect. At the time, he did not realize that my brakes were the standard Infiniti sport brakes since I have had them powdercoated. I asked him to look at another G37 with the sport brakes to see if my brake pad setup looks normal.

All the tech can offer for the brake squeal is a guess that I need to have the rotors turned, at a cost of $200 front and $200 rear.

Can anyone offer some advice as to what would be causing the brake squeal? The squeal was not present after I had the Akebono's installed for at least a couple of months.
The rotors may be glazed over .. can develop that squeal -- certain pads seem to work better with certain rotors, you may consider changing to slotted or cross drilled rotors to improve cooling and prevent glazing. I'm sure others will know alot more about this ..

I would have Midas or another cheaper place "turn" or "resurface" the rotors.. as $200 is a bit steep... should be $200 total with tax, front and back, if not cheaper.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Alto101
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
The rotors may be glazed over .. can develop that squeal -- certain pads seem to work better with certain rotors, you may consider changing to slotted or cross drilled rotors to improve cooling and prevent glazing. I'm sure others will know alot more about this ..

I would have Midas or another cheaper place "turn" or "resurface" the rotors.. as $200 is a bit steep... should be $200 total with tax, front and back, if not cheaper.
The tech did mention that they could be glazed over. Is there a way to determine if this is the case before resurfacing the rotors?

Have other people with the sport brakes experienced glazing and if so, how did you deal with it?
Old 02-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have only had 2 BBK but they both squeaked a bit. Seems pretty common. Mine only do it when they are still cool in the morning and when I roll out of my driveway.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
$400 to turn rotors is robbery. An auto parts store or brake shop with the capability will do them for around $25 each rotor or less.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Alto101
Registered Member

New Question

New question for the brake experts....

The dealership bled my brakes for me since my brake pedal had been a little mushy since I got the Akebono's installed. The bleed made the brakes feel much better, for a couple of days.

Now the mushy brake pedal feel is back. What could cause this to happen so soon? I am assuming that air is getting into the system somewhere, any suggestions as to what could be causing the problem?

Thanks again