helper springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 04:27 PM
worldcrafter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
helper springs?

Currently installing Tanabe Sustec Pro coilovers on my car, and with the ride height that I set the height adjuster to, it just seems impossible to get the complete front strut assembly back in if I put the helper springs on the strut (the assembly is too long to match the swaybar end link bolt to the bottom of the strut mount). Without the helper springs on, I can put the strut assembly back in no problem.

What do helper springs do anyway? Are they even necessary, and if so, how can I compress the strut assembly to get it back in with the helper springs on as well?
Old 02-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Not sure if this helps but there is a spring compressor tool you can get to compress in coils. You can find it at most auto parts stores... Def. Napa.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:54 PM
shabbo
Registered Member

You would have to compress them somewhat ...

I'd recommend a professional installer just because I have a paranoia about compressed springs
Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 PM
JSG35

I have these. According to Tanabe, the helper springs make the ride a bit gentler and provide some resistance (some "push") when the front is elevated.

I definitely had to compress them in order to put the mount back on. Of course, they compress by hand. Once the mount is re-installed on top of the spring, the entire assembly fit back in place.

I lowered the front around 1 3/8" inch. (The second time.) The first time, I measured incorrectly and slammed the car to some un-driveable level. So, I'm confident that there's no setting where the helper springs won't fit.

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:52 PM
worldcrafter

Hi guys, thanks for the tips. What I did was take off the swaybar end link from the control arm, whch allowed the control arm to drop down freely so that I could match the bolt hole on the strut to the end link. No compression needed, all I had to do was push down on the control arm a little.

Done with front, but still gotta do the rear. The car currently has a raked look which is sick... Wish I could post pics but i don't have a cam At the moment

Also worth noting is that there is a KYB engraving on the struts. GR2 struts, I'm guessing?