VDC, ABS, Slip Lights on. Tried solutions and now dealer wants $120

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 01:11 AM
bighamsterneck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VDC, ABS, Slip Lights on. Tried solutions and now dealer wants $120

I searched and read all the threads about the VDC, ABS off, Slip warning lights all staying on. Recently, in southern california, we've had a bit of rain and after driving thru some flooded streets, all 3 of those lights have been coming on.

I checked brake fluid and topped it off. I also reset the ECU with no luck.

It seems that the lights only come on if the steering wheel is rotated past a certain point.

Since my car is past 60k miles, and leaving the car at the dealership, they want $120 to fix these "fault codes". Seems like I'm getting ripped off for some things that are just going to be reset.

Any help or advice?

thanks in advance.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:33 AM
D'oh

How is your tire wear? I notice in my 350Z, that when my tires have pretty much worn down to slicks, a certain corner on my commute will cause the SLIP and VDC light to turn on (not sure about ABS light). Restarting the car will make all the lights turn off, but every time I hit that corner they turn back on again.

-D'oh!
Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
have you done all the maintainence work on it?
Old 02-02-2010, 10:43 AM
StopTheExcuses

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmmm, I think your Maf sensor got wet, or another sensor got wet somehow. I had the EXACT same problem after going through a carwash one time. Got home, pulled the Maf sensor and voilia! There was some moisture on it. Dried it with my air compressor, reset the ECU and it was good to go.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:53 AM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ask them exactly what they will do for the $120. you can bet that will start to rack up charges for things that need to be "fixed or replaced". $120 seems like a diagnostic fee (i say that cause $120 seems to cheap for a dealer to charge
Old 02-02-2010, 02:38 PM
bighamsterneck

Tire wear is still okay, checked tire pressure just to make sure also. My G has tanabe lowering springs and sits on 20's, but it's been okay wayyyy before the rain came. Just got my 60k service done a few months ago and now I'm at about 63k.

StopTheExcuses - I am also using Stillen Intakes. The MAF is on there correct?

Update: Just called dealership, it is almsot noon and my car has been there since 2:30 pm yesterday, and they still have no update for me. Not happy at all. Sure, I am in a loaner, but not excited at all with this waiting game.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:14 PM
StopTheExcuses

Originally Posted by bighamsterneck
Tire wear is still okay, checked tire pressure just to make sure also. My G has tanabe lowering springs and sits on 20's, but it's been okay wayyyy before the rain came. Just got my 60k service done a few months ago and now I'm at about 63k.

StopTheExcuses - I am also using Stillen Intakes. The MAF is on there correct?

Update: Just called dealership, it is almsot noon and my car has been there since 2:30 pm yesterday, and they still have no update for me. Not happy at all. Sure, I am in a loaner, but not excited at all with this waiting game.
Ahhh, yup. That HAS to be ur culprit. When I had it happen to me, I was using Injen CAI. So, somehow, you had just a little water get into the sensor. I'm 99.99 percent positve that's what has happened in your case. It does not take much to cause it to throw the cell, abs and slip lights on these cars. Take your maf's out and blow them dry carefully with an air compressor and you wil be fine. Don't spend that $120!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:35 PM
bighamsterneck

Originally Posted by StopTheExcuses
Ahhh, yup. That HAS to be ur culprit. When I had it happen to me, I was using Injen CAI. So, somehow, you had just a little water get into the sensor. I'm 99.99 percent positve that's what has happened in your case. It does not take much to cause it to throw the cell, abs and slip lights on these cars. Take your maf's out and blow them dry carefully with an air compressor and you wil be fine. Don't spend that $120!
I will definitely do this to my MAF's before paying the $120. But why would the lights only come on when the steering wheel is rotated?
Old 02-02-2010, 03:43 PM
StopTheExcuses

I will definitely do this to my MAF's before paying the $120. But why would the lights only come on when the steering wheel is rotated?
That is absurdly strange, but the fact that this started happening right after "Much rain" and I had the exact same incident happen recently after going through a car wash, with the exact same symptoms, it has to be related to the rain, and a sensor getting wet.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:45 PM
bighamsterneck

cool, thanks StopTheExcuses, I will see if this fixes the problem. If so, I owe you lunch!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:28 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd be tempted to get a code reader to see what the error codes are.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:29 PM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why don't u just go to kragen and see if you get any trouble codes?
Old 02-03-2010, 11:37 PM
bighamsterneck

As of a year or so ago, Kragen/Pep Boys/Autozones stopped carrying ODB code readers, as from what I was told, a law was passed against it due to a lot of small mechanic shops complaining about the bigger name stores allowing the access for free.

I picked up my car yesterday, and paid $60 for a diagnostics fee.

The dealer told me that they took out the left brake sensor and it seemed I needed a new one. They swapped the right with the left and the problem went away. They proceeded to put the sensor back to the original side and it seemed the problem went away. I got to walk away paying $60 bucks for a diagnostic fee, and the sense of MAYBE it coming back again. Somehow I feel that they just checked some codes and reset em. Probably last time I go to that dealership.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:46 AM
KLB

As of a year or so ago, Kragen/Pep Boys/Autozones stopped carrying ODB code readers, as from what I was told, a law was passed against it due to a lot of small mechanic shops complaining about the bigger name stores allowing the access for free.
Autozone in Valparaiso, IN still reads codes for free. My step-daughter had it done in Dec on her Dodge Caliber.

If you then take it to a shop they are not going to take their word for it, and will charge you a diagnostic anyway around here.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:15 AM
ged1067

This is my first G and I have about 2000 miles. What are VDC, Slip, ECU?

Any info would be helpful...Thanks.

GED

Quick Reply: VDC, ABS, Slip Lights on. Tried solutions and now dealer wants $120