Dropped 1.5" with Eibachs, need camber kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:59 PM
redG37sedan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dropped 1.5" with Eibachs, need camber kit?

Hi all, I just got the Eibach kit installed today on my 2009 G37 Sedan which still has stock 17" wheels. The drop is 1.5" and a bit lower than I had thought.

The dealership recommended that I should get both front and rear camber kit, but I'm waiting a couple of days to see what I should do (get the camber kits, or go back to stock springs and forget lowering all together).

So, 2 questions here,

1.) How much should I expect to pay for front and rear camber kits (parts+installation)?

2.) Can I install 19" Sport OEM Infiniti wheels with the Eibach 1.5" drop and not have them rub? I'm hoping going from 17" to 19" wheels will fill the wheel wells a bit and also raise the overall height of the car off the ground.

The 19" Sport OEM wheels I'm talking about are these. (If someone has a set for sale in NorCal area, ping me)

Old 01-01-2010, 01:44 AM
redG37sedan

BTW, the dealership told me the drop is 1.5", but that could be an estimate.

This is with the Eibach Pro Kit front and back.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:51 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
wait 3 weeks till the springs settle... should be around 1.6" drop
Old 01-01-2010, 11:22 AM
BocaIvan

yea go get an alignment also, see if they can get it back within spec.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:40 AM
redG37sedan

I had an alignment done alongside the drop. They said even then it needed camber kits.

My original 2 questions still stand,

1.) How much should I expect to pay for front and rear camber kits (parts+installation)?

2.) Can I install 19" Sport OEM Infiniti wheels with the Eibach 1.5" drop and not have them rub? I'm hoping going from 17" to 19" wheels will fill the wheel wells a bit and also raise the overall height of the car off the ground.

Anyone?
Old 01-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Thrak

Originally Posted by redG37sedan
I had an alignment done alongside the drop. They said even then it needed camber kits.

My original 2 questions still stand,

Wait one or two weeks for the springs to settle in. Get another alignment. The values will change. See if you are in spec. If not, then go for a camber kit.

The cheapest I have seen for SPC front and rear combo is 509 shipped. Install could be anywhere from 80-150 depending on the installer. Also, for installing the rear camber, slight modification of one of the brackets on the car is needed to ensure a good fit.

**Correction: These prices are for the coupe.

Last edited by Thrak; 01-02-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:48 PM
redG37sedan

Pics:

Side view:

Front driver side wheel:

I want to get the staggered 19" OEM Sport wheels for it, but I'm hearing conflicting information that suggest those wheels+tires would rub sometimes.

I'm afraid the drop might be a little too aggressive and may cause the car to bottom out on ****ty roads or speed bumps. I can still go back to stock, but I'm pondering it for a few days.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:22 AM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the fenders are already rolled but yeah on eibachs if you hit something hard enough the distance travel may rub. but also remember that the wheels go further up the fender too as it lowers. w/ the drop tho don't forget the front end of your car for the same reason. you are on 17s right now which is fine. +1 you're getting close, +2... is a different story. but again it comes down to the road you're driving on and your behavior when it comes to obstacles. If you've never driven a lowered car before, just take some time getting used to it

despite being the prokit ( vs sportlines) you'll still see a pretty good drop, 1.2-1.5". you're going to need a camber kit or else you'll need to start putting away money for tires.

this is why modifying cars is a slippery slope. not only is it expensive if you have to pa for labor but once you do something, to do it correctly required compensating for the modification. which in this case, drop the car, install adjustable cambers to correct due to the drop.

This topic is fairly well covered in here, next time do a quick read before you spend unnecessary money, plenty of people here run the 19s, w/ lowered suspension. at the end of the day to do it right requires front and rear camber arms.

Last edited by mw09g37; 01-05-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:32 PM
redG37sedan

Originally Posted by mw09g37
this is why modifying cars is a slippery slope. not only is it expensive if you have to pa for labor but once you do something, to do it correctly required compensating for the modification. which in this case, drop the car, install adjustable cambers to correct due to the drop.

This topic is fairly well covered in here, next time do a quick read before you spend unnecessary money, plenty of people here run the 19s, w/ lowered suspension. at the end of the day to do it right requires front and rear camber arms.
You're quite right, it's a slippery slope. I've read up a ton of stuff on the forums here but unfortunately there is a lot of conflicting information (for example, some folks say a certain setup causes their wheels to rub while others say the same setup has no wheel rub).

Luckily, I had the drop done at Beshoff Infiniti and they're just going to take my config back to stock without charging me an arm and a leg.

In hindsight, maybe I should've ordered the G37S sedan with the 19" wheels from the factory. Oh well.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:39 PM
mw09g37

The good thing about Beshoff, is that they'll take care of the issues personally. I mean they won't factory warranty the part (4years/50) but i mean they know enough about the cars and an honest business to not cancel your warranty like other BS dealerships would for modifying your car.

you got lucky tho, I don't remember a red sedan that had eibachs on it... so did you have them install after purchase? technically you should be paying for installation and removal even if it was buyer's remorse... if you bought them with the car, yeah they'll take them off but I think you own the springs...

unfortunately the sedan does not come with the 19s from the factory in any config. you will be paying the factory prices for them which for any 19" wheels are quite pricey.... so there's no magic there. I think the wheels come out to be almost 3000 with tires from the factory, new. you'll have to see if you can pick them up from a coupe owner. expect to pay about 1500 for a like new set. less if there are some wheel damage or less tread on the tires. .

I mean there's nothing wrong with running the eibachs. I mean I think the eibachs with the SPC cambers for the the G37 are the best bang for your buck. If you saw the OB black sedan on the showroom those were running with spacers on wheels just as big as the coupe 19s and they never had any rubbing problems. the fender well has a lot of head space and the distance traveled depends on how hard you're hitting something to compress it... if you drive like a normal person, the progressive springs should never travel far enough to put the 19s into contact with the fender. The shop guys ran articulation stress on the progressive spring's travel and never came up with any rubbing. The fact of the matter is they know what they're doing and wouldn't sell you it if it was going to cause any harm to your car. I'd just be careful about your front end. gauge speed bumps and approach with caution. ha

Last edited by mw09g37; 01-05-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:46 PM
redG37sedan

The Eibach springs are good, nothing wrong with them, but unfortunately I'm not willing to commit the time, energy and $$ required to do this job 100% right.

To do it right, I'd need Eiback Pro Kit springs, front and rear camber kits, and then the 19" wheels+tires. Too much money for a daily driver/comfy car. I'll leave the sedan as is since I already have a sports car.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:03 AM
mw09g37

the ride quality doesn't change too much. (at least relative to the sports package)
esp if you're considering 19s...

check the camber, i mean you might get away with it cause the stock setup is adjustable to some degree. (just need the rears) the drop looks good tho man. you never miss the fender gap.