Just got an alignment at West End...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 02:35 AM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just got an alignment at West End...

I just got a wheel alignment at West End today since I got my car lowered about two months ago (yeah yeah I should've done it earlier). I don't have any printed specs with me, but these are the adjustment he made on my 2008 Infiniti G37S coupe.

Front before: -1.75 camber, 1/16" toe out
Front after: -1.75 camber, 3/32" toe in

Rear before: -2.4 camber
Rear after: -1.9 camber

I'm obviously borderline minimal spec, but without a camber kit, I wasn't expecting to be there anyway. The inside of my front tires are pretty worn, but the toe adjustment should help alleviate 50% of the wear I was having from before. I could "live" with these settings, but I'm now figuring out if getting a camber kit would be worth the investment.

Darin is a very knowledgeable person, and after today's experience, I absolutely trust him with anything he does to my car. He made sure I was completely satisfied with my alignment before I left. He's quite the conversationalist and we were chatting for practically the entire time I was there, which was a little over 1.5 hours. I did arrive half an hour earlier than my appointment time, but he didn't finish with his last customer until half an hour after my appointment, so that would be my only gripe about today's experience. But stuff happens, so I didn't really mind. Anyway, the first thing he asked me was what kind of driver I am, what conditions do I drive in (mostly highway, all city, etc), and how frequently do I drive the car (daily driver, weekend car, etc). I learned a lot more than I knew before about wheel alignment, especially since he lets his customers chill in the shop and watch him work, which is awesome. His shop doesn't look like much from the outside, but he actually has a good size garage with two lifts and keeps it relatively tidy and organized (at least compared to most others I've seen). He's a no nonsense type of person, so if you bail out of an appointment you make before, don't expect to be back any time soon (he told me a couple stories, but I completely understood where he's coming from). But I have to say this is one of the most pleasant experiences I've had with an auto mechanic. I highly recommend this place if you're looking for an alignment or any type of suspension/brake work.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:10 AM
ucla bruin

Sounds good. How much was it?
Old 12-27-2009, 04:19 PM
chasemyaccord

90 for 4 wheel alignment.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What springs are you on? I have an appointment at West End for tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You didn't list your rear toe spec, but if you want to get back to within camber spec you'll probably need a rear camber kit. Spec calls for -0.5 to -1.5. but you are closer than a lot of guys here who are dropped really low. To get it back within spec you'd need the camber kit and very likely the toe bolts too in order to fix that if it's off.

I'd leave it if you toe in the back isn't bad. Optimal is 3/32" to 1/8".
Old 12-27-2009, 09:52 PM
rAvi665

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90 for one time or like a one year alignment program?
Old 12-28-2009, 02:34 AM
TJHG37S

Darin is the man, I've had my G aligned there twice (after Eibach springs and Tanabe coils install). He is super knowledgable about suspensions and I wouldn't take my car anywhere else, even if it is in Gardena. I would agree though he's usually late so don't show up early.

Danny, trust me man take your car there it's worth it, Dan B. had his done there too...
Old 01-17-2010, 02:04 AM
jungwoo0622

Sometimes he is too good and he cant be nice with his customer.
Maybe it was only me tho
I tried evasive motor at the walnut and they knows what to do with our car
(they are very famous at the track world)
Old 01-17-2010, 02:55 AM
sbmwg37s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great! I'll get an alignment here after I get coils.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:53 PM
TJHG37S

Maybe he's not a "people person" but I could care less as long as he does an awesome job (which he does)

Originally Posted by jungwoo0622
Sometimes he is too good and he cant be nice with his customer.
Maybe it was only me tho
I tried evasive motor at the walnut and they knows what to do with our car
(they are very famous at the track world)
Old 01-18-2010, 09:14 PM
goomba

Originally Posted by TJHG37S
Maybe he's not a "people person" but I could care less as long as he does an awesome job (which he does)
You would be hard pressed to find someone who cares as much about the quality of his work as Darin. For any performance related alignments, he is the man to go to. Darin also built a track only civic which ran a 2:01 at buttonwillow. Quite fast. He definitely knows what he is doing. For those who plan to go Darin, a few pointers:
1. Adjust your tire pressures before you go. Make sure they are even or what you plan to run at track/street.
2. Fill up your gas tank.
3. Have your camber adjustment options available. If you go to him lowered without any sort of camber arms, you are just wasting your time.
4. Don't be late or cancel at last minute.

I don't know how Evasive does things since I haven't gone to them yet. I've only heard compliments about them though.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:44 PM
chasemyaccord

Originally Posted by TJHG37S
Hahaha, sorry to resurrect this thread (forgot what my car alignment specs were), but I couldn't help reading some of the latter posts I didn't see before. Darrin isn't a people person? Well I guess it depends on the mood he's in. He can be a scary **** if you mess with him (told me some stories about altercations with the business next door), but other than that, he's a happy go lucky person from what I could tell. Just don't make an appointment and bail out on him last second, that really irritates him (makes sense).

We were jabbering on the entire 2.5 hours it took to align the car, and I couldn't have had a better experience if I wanted. Definitely worth the drive and money to get your car out there.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:21 AM
TJHG37S

I was referring to another post about him rubbing someone the wrong way. I've only had great experiences with Darin