Anyone with Tanabe NF210 springs...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 02:01 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Anyone with Tanabe NF210 springs...

...would you mind measuring your front fender gaps? Im thinking about doing the tanabach combo, but Im curious as to how many inches from the ground the front fenders are with the tanabes.

I checked Black Betty's Spring reference thread, but no one posted Tanabes for the coupe.

My eibach's are 26.5" in the front and 27.25" in the rear and Im curious what the Tanabes are front and rear.

Thanks in advance.

Also, let me know what wheels and tires you have on the car because changing them could slightly effect the height.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:05 PM
SilverBullet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Tanabe's are lower in the rear than Eibach. Many people change the rears to Tanabe to have a little more drop in the back.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:09 PM
philter25

^ Yup. Im aware. Personally, I like the eibach rear height but I'd like the front to be the same height as the rear so I was curious how much higher the Tanabes were than the Eibachs.

Im considering Tanabe Fronts and Eibach rears and want to know the exact fender gap heights but no one has posted numbers for Tanabe in BB's lowering database.

If they dont match up, then I'll probably go eibach fronts and tanabe rears.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:11 PM
SilverBullet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think that you will have the exact same height front and rear with either. I may be wrong, since it is a rwd coupe, the stance is a bit more aggressive. AWD has the same height on their stock springs.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
The car is designed to be higher in rear than front. It's called a rake. It will look funny if you make the fender well height equal.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:40 PM
philter25

Originally Posted by Black Betty
The car is designed to be higher in rear than front. It's called a rake. It will look funny if you make the fender well height equal.
Huh? I'm confused. From the factory, the stock springs after settling are 28.75 in the front, and 28 in the back.... so the front of the car is higher than the rear. Wasnt the car then designed to be higher in the front than the rear?

Isnt the goal of most people to even out the fender gap with springs? Isnt that why most people with the tanabe nf210 springs were looking to get eibach fronts? So their fender gaps would be equal in the front and the rear?

Isnt that why people with coilovers tend to set all 4 corners at the same height or within 1/4 inch of each other?

Or am I not understanding what you are trying to say?
Old 12-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by philter25
Huh? I'm confused. From the factory, the stock springs after settling are 28.75 in the front, and 28 in the back.... so the front of the car is higher than the rear. Wasnt the car then designed to be higher in the front than the rear?

Isnt the goal of most people to even out the fender gap with springs? Isnt that why most people with the tanabe nf210 springs were looking to get eibach fronts? So their fender gaps would be equal in the front and the rear?

Isnt that why people with coilovers tend to set all 4 corners at the same height or within 1/4 inch of each other?

Or am I not understanding what you are trying to say?
It's been a long time since my suspension was stock and I didn't measure height before I lowered it. I was under the impression that the front was lower than the rear from the manufacturer, guess I was wrong about that. Yes, most people who lower a car do so for aesthetics and not for performance. However, even while lowering it, springs will still maintain a higher rear stance than front stance. I have coilovers and still maintain a higher stance in back than front. The rake of having a car higher in back and lower in front is desirable to many for looks and for performance purposes. It's much more important that the front have a lower CG than the rear for cornering.

Or maybe I'm just weird...
Old 12-16-2009, 04:43 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
There is more stock gap in the front from the factory... Part of the reason is the tires in back are a little wider and the wheel well in front is a little bigger.
I have these on my car and will measure when I get home. Just to clarify- you measured in centimeters correct?
Old 12-16-2009, 04:46 PM
philter25

^ No, thats not weird. And from an aerodynamic perspective, I think it also makes sense to have the front lower than the rear also. I think the majority of people with coilovers have a rake, but its usually around 1/4" higher in the back. Im currently sitting at 3/4 of an inch and ideally looking to get something around 27" in the front, which would put my rake at 1/4" from front to back.

And to add, a few suspension companies have the front higher than the rear..... like the NF210s you used to have on your car. Not all springs sit higher in the rear. The front was higher than the rear if you recall.

Looking at the car from the side, 3/4" is visible and 1/4 inch wouldnt be as visible.

Im pretty sure people with the eibach fronts and tanabe rears are looking at around 1/4 inch difference from front to rear, Im just curious what the tanabe fronts and eibach rears would be.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:49 PM
philter25

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
There is more stock gap in the front from the factory... Part of the reason is the tires in back are a little wider and the wheel well in front is a little bigger.
I have these on my car and will measure when I get home. Just to clarify- you measured in centimeters correct?
Thanks Kahboom!

Inches from the ground to the fender passing through dead center on the wheel. I put my measuring tape perfectly vertical with one end on the ground with the middle of the measuring tape passing directly over the center cap on the wheel with the measurement when it hits the fender gap.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:52 PM
KAHBOOM

Originally Posted by philter25
Thanks Kahboom!

Inches from the ground to the fender passing through dead center on the wheel. I put my measuring tape perfectly vertical with one end on the ground with the middle of the measuring tape passing directly over the center cap on the wheel with the measurement when it hits the fender gap.

OK got it now... I'll post my findings tonight... judging from the naked wur the front end looks slightly lower now but the actual measurement will be more telling.

Yeah I think our fender wells are a bit bigger in the front which raises it up a little stock.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:32 PM
KAHBOOM

My measurements in my garage which is level.

Front: 26.75
Rear: Roughly 26.8
Old 12-16-2009, 08:48 PM
philter25

Wow... so your Tanabes are dead on even? Most people have more gap in the front.

Edit: You are running 245/40/19 up front and 275/35/19s in the rear? I'll haveto take that into account cause Im on stock wheels.

Last edited by philter25; 12-16-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:20 PM
KAHBOOM

Yep measured twice. I am running width different tires however the diameters are the same as stock, within maybe 2 milimeters, because of lower profiles.

The "gap" from tire to fender in front is still a little more than the rear... I think the wheel well in front is just flared out than the one in back.

Another thing to consider is that when the car is in gear the rear end sits down a little- probably about a quarter inch.

Last edited by KAHBOOM; 12-16-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:04 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
I was looking for my tape measurer but can't find it. It's a good thing Kahboom hook you up coz im on 20s and I don't know if that would skew the results.

Quick Reply: Anyone with Tanabe NF210 springs...